It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alabama Shows Exactly How Voter ID Laws Can Be Used for Voter Suppression

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
Pointing out that the general belief that one race is incapable of doing something as a racist belief isn't really spin.

Just sayin.

and who says that, exactly? hugely oversimplifying the opposition's argument to make your position look better doesn't fool anyone. well, except people who already agree with you.

How Voter ID Laws Discriminate

Using this refined methodology, researchers found that strict ID laws doubled the turnout gap between whites and Latinos in the general elections, and almost doubled the white-black turnout gap in primary elections.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gargamel
a reply to: theantediluvian

I have a very simple question. Are the laws only for Democratic voters or do they apply to Republicans as well?

Are the DMV offices being closed in high Republican districts?

edit on 12-12-2017 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   
So, judging by your logic, people that have no form of ID can't go anywhere to get one? They are unable to get an ID? Better yet, they're of voting age and DON"T have a valid form of identification? They can't go online and order one?

You're confusing general laziness and lack of proactivity with political conspiracy

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

That is just.......choice.
It shows so many things. First it shows Berkely CA type Millinnials who reflexivly spout leftist propaganda that has been pumped into their empty heads for so long they dont even have to think before answering the question. It also demonstrates they have no knowledge of anything outside of Berkley CA. Their world view is that of a pecan. Worse it shows they obviously have no contact with POC; they probably never communicate outside their selective bubble of acceptable look-a-like "friends"; think.....Portlandia.

It pretty well tells me which group of voters should be suppressed!

Great find man, great find.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Not surprised the liberal left people still avoid the very simple fact of:

Elections are known WELL AHEAD of when they are held. Weeks and months in advanced.

Plenty of time to make sure one has all the documents they need to obtain an ID, save money for an ID and plan a trip to get said ID.

Using this is about a legit as: The dog ate my homework.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

Oh, you posted a study. That's cool.

I'll trot out the same study I posted the last time somebody posted your study, which says your study is crap.

hugely oversimplifying the opposition's argument to make your position look better doesn't fool anyone.

It's not my fault your argument can be boiled down to "black people aren't capable of getting ID cards." If you don't like that your argument can be summed up in a sentence, get a better argument.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jiggly
i think it is more racist to suggest that black people are so poor and ignorant that they cant get a voter ID......

Are you arguing that there isn't an economic disparity between whites and blacks? Please, argue that one.

But that actually wasn't particularly germane to the argument in this case. Voter suppression in the modern era is about making things more difficult. Sure, it could be something that seeks to exploit the very real economic disparity but it could also be a simple matter of location and sometimes those are related. Where somebody may be able to use public transportation in their own community, bum a ride, take an Uber or hell, ride a bicycle — increasing that distance will tend to make some of these things less likely.

And that's what it's about, making things more difficult makes them less likely.

+11 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   

...and every single County you listed has a local registrar's office that issues free photo IDs. Your argument is not just bad, it's ridiculous.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: dothedew
So, judging by your logic, people that have no form of ID can't go anywhere to get one? They are unable to get an ID? Better yet, they're of voting age and DON"T have a valid form of identification? They can't go online and order one?

You're confusing general laziness and lack of proactivity with political conspiracy

Not everyone has a car. Not everyone has internet. Public transport doesn't always go where you want it to.

You can get ID online?

Are they shutting DMV's down in high Republican areas?

Understand Disenfranchised.

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   
It's pretty ridiculous when you realize Canada, India and even Nigeria have stricter voter ID laws than the biggest superpower on the planet.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

I have a very simple question. Are the laws only for Democratic voters or do they apply to Republicans as well?

There was a post with a link earlier in this thread that shows the DMV's that were closed down have been reopened. So......

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Well I live in a rural area.

Most rural areas have a higher percentage of whites.

We have to drive 40 to 50 miles sometimes to get to places like a DMV.

Must be racism, right?

When will the government put these facilities every 10 miles in the back woods of monatama, or in alaska.

Oh but screw those rural white people, right?

This is a joke.

And what about the other 31 places in white areas that were closed down?

Your source lists 8 that were in black areas,, so that suggests the rest of the 31 were in white areas. Yet you made this a race thing.

Look, if you think blacks are incapable of getting id's that is your right.

I chose to not find people incapable based on skin color.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful
Not surprised the liberal left people still avoid the very simple fact of:

Elections are known WELL AHEAD of when they are held. Weeks and months in advanced.

Plenty of time to make sure one has all the documents they need to obtain an ID, save money for an ID and plan a trip to get said ID.

Using this is about a legit as: The dog ate my homework.

Voting is a right we are granted as citizens, yet what those on left leave out, it is a right with responsibilities! If you are not responsible to do your part as a citizen to be able to vote then perhaps you should lose that right until you become a responsible citizen?

But then again, personal responsibility isn't a strong suit for a certain group of folk!

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

You stated someone in Alabama without a drivers licence could not vote.

No I didn't. I said that Alabama requires photo ID to vote and that the most common form of photo ID is a driver's license.

I showed YOUR LINK THAT STATED THEY CAN VOTE.

They can cast a provision ballot which is not the same.

No one gets turned away that wants to vote.

No, they just cast a provisional ballot which is far less likely to be counted.

Then you post a chart that shows 62% of provisional ballots cast in Alabama were accepted.

Right, so not even 2/3 of provisional ballots in Alabama were counted. How many regular ballots were counted? 99.999%? You really don't see the difference?

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I don't get it. We in Michigan have had to show ID for almost as long as I can remember. No one here claims it is preventing people from voting. It's really a non issue and then the anti voter ID people show a 98 year old women who can't get an ID because she would have to produce a birth certificate to get one story.

For the VAST majority of people of all colors who are legally here and U.S. citizens, it's not hard to vote and have a proper ID.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   

I personally don't give a damn about Moore, but this whole idea that requiring an ID is somehow racist or unreasonable is ridiculous. It's only used in a partisan manner and frankly the real problems in politics are partisans.

Do you personally have a legal ID? If so, why?

As I see it, Democrats and Blacks are just as capable of getting ID's as anyone else and need them for the same reasons. I'd even guess that most of the people pushing this transparently partisan bit of logical fallacy have an ID on them while they make this argument and would never be caught without one.

Moore presents you with lots to criticize, so why play the fake race card? Racists and race baiters are essentially the same animal are they not? Hate is hate, haters are haters. Race baiters share much in common with the KKK do they not?

Stick to the criticism of Moore since there is much to criticize, but this? I'd never vote for Moore, but I'd never stoop to race baiting either. We all know there are racists among Democrats, Republicans and all other political groups. The DNC leads its fan base around by the nose, just like the Republicans do and let you do the heavy hauling by tricking you into carrying false messages like this. Both parties bank on their followers being easily fooled.

Unless of course the end game is really wanting people without the right to vote, to vote.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Well the ops own article says 31 offices were closed, and only 8 in high black areas.

So yes I guess.

But we will ignore that, because I guess people feel those whites I guess have no problem getting id's from nearby offices or other means.

Yet the blacks can't.

What do you call someone who feels someone is inferior and incapable of performing a task based on the color of their skin?

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   

You do understand a provisional ballot has to be verified?
The person voting has to be a resident of the state?
Now allowing everyone that wants a ballot to vote is bad?

This thread, which was a false premise MOORE IS THE SUXS thread, is now just a joke.
No one was disenfranchised as the offices you showed closed have been reopened.
Anyone in Alabama may vote on a provisional ballot.

Did you hit your head recently?

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: dothedew

Not everyone has a car. Not everyone has internet. Public transport doesn't always go where you want it to.

You can get ID online?

Are they shutting DMV's down in high Republican areas?

Understand Disenfranchised.

Its called work. Get your ass up, stop being lazy and walk the extra miles to complete the task.

My conservative ideals teach me that hard work pays off.

If I need to walk THREE miles and take FOUR buses, then so be it.

What of it that I don't have a car? PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION.

What of it that I don't have the internet? Mcdonalds, Apartment/housing business center, Public Library.

Public transportation isn't suppose to take you where you want to go, you rely off their network of routes, coordinating where you need to walk and other points in your journey.

Seriously, people forgotten hard work and what it means to make your way around.

You bring absolute shame to the older generations of hard working Americans.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: shooterbrody

You stated someone in Alabama without a drivers licence could not vote.

No I didn't. I said that Alabama requires photo ID to vote and that the most common form of photo ID is a driver's license.

I showed YOUR LINK THAT STATED THEY CAN VOTE.

They can cast a provision ballot which is not the same.

No one gets turned away that wants to vote.

No, they just cast a provisional ballot which is far less likely to be counted.

Then you post a chart that shows 62% of provisional ballots cast in Alabama were accepted.

Right, so not even 2/3 of provisional ballots in Alabama were counted. How many regular ballots were counted? 99.999%? You really don't see the difference?

Provisional ballots have to show the proof of voter identity in most cases. The "I left my ID at home" is solved by showing the ID later. In Michigan you are given paper instructions you take with you of what to do to verify your provisional vote.

If you don't do that as a voter, then either you were lying or you are too lazy to do what is necessary to make your vote valid.

Show me where all provisional votes are from one party in an election? Is it just Black Democrats who seem to have to cast provisional ballots? The Dems better get their get out the vote campaign better then.
edit on 12-12-2017 by pavil because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join