It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alabama Shows Exactly How Voter ID Laws Can Be Used for Voter Suppression

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

HAHAHAHAHAHA
What a maroon

www.al.com...

ALEA had already buckled and reopened many of the offices but for fewer hours. However, under an agreement struck between the state and federal agencies, ALEA agreed to add more hours of service to the Black Belt offices.

You stated someone in Alabama without a drivers licence could not vote.
I showed YOUR LINK THAT STATED THEY CAN VOTE.
No one gets turned away that wants to vote.
Then you post a chart that shows 62% of provisional ballots cast in Alabama were accepted.

So again I ask why did you not just post a MOORE SUCKS thread?

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   
good thread, OP... since they can't get away with those insane 'literacy' tests any more, voter ID laws are the new way to suppress the vote of people you don't think will vote for you. you notice it's only conservatives that push for stuff like this, after all... and it's not because there's so much voter fraud or undocumented immigrants voting, despite what president delusions spouts off about it.

+7 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

did you miss as well the link that showed they re-opened the offices?
and with longer hours as well?

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

hi, thanks for your interest in my post but i was commenting on voter ID laws in general.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses

Moore later added, “The greatness I see was in our culture, not in all our policies. There were problems. We had slavery; we’ve overcome slavery. We’ve had prejudice; we still have prejudice. But we’ve turned the tide on civil rights. And we’ve done a lot of things to bring this country around, and I think we can still make it better.”

That was just from your first link.

And from his second link in the OP

Moore's campaign spokesman told CNN's KFile that Moore does not believe all amendments after the Tenth should be eliminated.

"Once again, the media is taking a discussion about the overall framework for the separation of powers as laid out in the constitution to twist Roy Moore's position on specific issues," Doster said in an emailed statement. "Roy Moore does not now nor has he ever favored limiting an individual's right to vote, and as a judge, he was noted for his fairness and for being a champion of civil rights.

"Judge Moore has expressed concern, as many other conservatives have, that the historical trend since the ratification of the Bill of Rights has been for federal empowerment over state empowerment."

the OP is simply an extension of the MSM - an arm of mis-information. Or there's simply a lack of time for reading the actual posted by him/herself. Or maybe the expectation that no one will read the links. Or a lack of reading comprehension by the OP - couldn't be this last one...could it?

color me shocked

CNN is probably hiring!

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Why didn't you just make a Moore sucks thread?

Good question. That was the intended purpose, right? I mean go on a rant about how evil moore is and how great jones is then link to a two year old story?

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   
i do also really enjoy that the first spin conservatives jump to is 'no YOU'RE racist for saying this is racist!'

cute!

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Don't shatter his racist delusion that 'those people' are far beneath him and they need 'special' care on the modern progressive plantation. SMFH

edit on 12 12 2017 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Come on man, you're better than this.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Can you show me a noticeable drop off in actual votes from those counties? Let's compare the last 2 presidential elections. We should have a slightly larger black vote total in 2012 because of Obama.

Actual votes from those counties. Your premise is they can't get access to proper ID to vote since 2011.

I'll be curious for the numbers. You might have a case......prove it.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   

I don't think they have longer hours. When they reopened them, they had reduced hours. I think the hours are just back to what they were when they closed.

AKA normal hours.

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I have to agree that the OP seems to apply that black people are too ignorant or too stupid to know ahead of time what the voting laws are and making plans in accordance with those laws.

That they are too stupid and ignorant to realize the obtaining documents required to get a official photo ID might take time and making sure to get them before hand, and apparently too stupid and ignorant to realize that many state offices in most states across the US tend to close or close early on a voting day so that their employees can get to the polls and vote too.

That apparently banks requiring a photo ID to have an account must be some form of discrimination.

Obtaining certain goods which require an ID must also be discriminatory.

US citizens are absolutely guaranteed by the US constitution........but no one, and I mean NO ONE will just take anyone's word that they are a US citizen. You have to show that you are, and that means some form of identification that shows beyond a doubt that you are whom you say you are.

Welcome to the 21st century where identity theft is common place.

+2 more 
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313
i do also really enjoy that the first spin conservatives jump to is 'no YOU'RE racist for saying this is racist!'

cute!

Pointing out that the general belief that one race is incapable of doing something as a racist belief isn't really spin.

Just sayin.

link   

What's stopping someone from getting an ID and how do you function as a US citizen without at least one form of identification.

Also, why. Do people keep telling me blacks aren't capable of getting an ID sounds racist.

I think this is dems wanting illiagal voter to vote

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313

hi, thanks for your interest in my post but i was commenting on voter ID laws in general.

so you understand the premise of this thread is absolutely false
the offices that were closed were reopened with longer hours....
and in alabama one can vote on a provisional ballot with no id....

how do "voter id laws in general" have to do with this

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

So if I show you a video with more "black opinions" that disagree, what's that prove? How about we rely on rese arch:

All of this, of course, has real political consequences. Because minority voters tend to be Democrats, strict voter ID laws tilt the primary electorate dramatically. All else equal, when strict ID laws are instituted, the turnout gap between Republicans and Democrats in primary contests more than doubles from 4.3 points to 9.8 points. Likewise, the turnout gap between conservative and liberal voters more than doubles from 7.7 to 20.4 points.

UCSD researchers: Voter ID laws suppress Dems, minorities

Researchers from the University of California San Diego have created a new statistical model indicating that voter identification laws do what detractors claim — reduce turnout for minorities and those on the political left. Overall, the researchers found, strict ID laws cause a reduction in Democratic turnout by 8.8 percentage points, compared to a reduction of 3.6 percentage points for Republicans.

Wisconsin’s Voter-ID Law Suppressed 200,000 Votes in 2016

The study compared turnout in states that adopted strict voter-ID laws between 2012 and 2016, like Wisconsin, to states that did not.

While states with no change to voter identification laws witnessed an average increased turnout of +1.3% from 2012 to 2016, Wisconsin’s turnout (where voter ID laws changed to strict) dropped by -3.3%. If turnout had instead increased by the national no-change average, we estimate that over 200,000 more voters would have voted in Wisconsin in 2016.

This reduction in turnout particularly hurt Hillary Clinton’s campaign.

The lost voters skewed more African-American and more Democrat. For example, Wisconsin’s 2016 electorate was 6.1% more Republican, and 5.7% less Democrat, than the group of ‘lost voters’. Furthermore, the WI electorate was 3.7% more White and 3.8% less African American than the group of ‘lost voters.’ This analysis suggests that the 200,000 lost voters would have both been more racially diverse and have voted more Democratic.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Solution to the problem go get an ID if you can't be a grown up in a grown up election you shouldn't vote.

I had to go to the dmv for my ID and license if I had to suffer so should others for the privilege to vote.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
Well the article says 31 drivers license centers will be closing. So white areas will be affected to.

And nothing is to stop blacks from getting those ids at the dmvs that are still open.

The idea that blacks are incapable of getting any one of a number of photo ids is a bigotry of low expectations, and a tiresome one

"Bigotry of low expectations?" Ridiculous. How about we deal with the real world? You have two groups of people. Group A can go 10 miles to obtain an ID needed to vote. Group B has to go 30 miles to obtain the same ID.

It stands to reason that members of Group A are going to be more likely to get that ID than members of Group B. Right? And with every mile added, that gap only gets larger. What if Group B has to go 50 miles? 100 miles?

Voter suppression is a game of margins.

In a close election, making it just hard enough that a few people out of every hundred are going to be less likely to make that trip is all it takes to swing an election. Nice try with the reverse-SJW or whatever but I'm talking about practical considerations. Making things more difficult means less people will do a thing.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Alabama Shows Exactly How Voter ID Laws Can Be Used for Voter Suppression

Two can play this game.

If voter ID laws suppress someones right to vote.

Then gun ID laws suppress someones right to keep and bear arms.

And yet only one of those things is 'bad'.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   

I have a very simple question. Are the laws only for Democratic voters or do they apply to Republicans as well?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join