It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alabama Shows Exactly How Voter ID Laws Can Be Used for Voter Suppression

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+30 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   

As most of you are undoubtedly aware, there's an election in Alabama today. In a state with a long history of white conservatives doing just about anything to keep black people from voting, two men are vying for a seat in the US Senate.

One of them, Roy Moore, is an alleged sexual predator who thinks America was greatest when when slavery was a thing (because families were united — except of course when they were being sold to different masters — but hey! It was good to be white, amirite?), has said that repealing every Amendment after the 10th would "eliminate many problems" (including those amendments which abolished slavery and gave black folks and women the right to vote) and refers to people of Asians and ingenious extraction as "reds and yellows."

The twice-fired supreme court justice doesn't discriminate when it comes to bigotry, he's also known for having said that homosexuality should be a crime, that homosexuality is "an inherent evil, and an act so heinous that it defies one's ability to describe it" and that 9/11 was God's punishement for legitimizing sodomy.

Clearly, libtards should step the f off trying to correlate bigotry and conservatism. Stupid libtards. YOU'RE THE BIGOTS! YOU'RE THE BIGOTS! Roy Moore ain't no bigot — FAKE NEWS — one of his attorneys is a Jew! (Happy Hanukah!)

The other guy is Doug Jones, who isn't a total douche bag, who doesn't prance around on stage with a gun, looking like a 10 year-old from the 50's playing cowboys and Indians. Jones is known for having brought the remaining murderous Klansmen to justice for the 16th Street Baptist Church Bombing. (booo! hiss! radical libtard!)

Now back in 2011, Alabama passed a Voter ID law which requires voters to present one of a number of photo IDs at the polling place in order to vote.

Top of the list is of course the most common of photo IDs, the driver's license.

So it should come as no surprise then that less than six weeks before this election (correction, this happened in 2015), this # happened:

Take a look at the 10 Alabama counties with the highest percentage of non-white registered voters. That's Macon, Greene, Sumter, Lowndes, Bullock, Perry, Wilcox, Dallas, Hale, and Montgomery, according to the Alabama Secretary of State's office. Alabama, thanks to its budgetary insanity and inanity, just opted to close driver license bureaus in eight of them. All but Dallas and Montgomery will be closed.

Closed. In a state in which driver licenses or special photo IDs are a requirement for voting.

Every single county in which blacks make up more than 75 percent of registered voters will see their driver license office closed. Every one.

edit on 2017-12-12 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

+53 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   
So it is not so much that you lie straight out....you just choose how to skew the post to make the information say what you want it to.

sos.alabama.gov...

A voter who is required to present valid photo identification but who does not do so will be allowed to vote a provisional ballot as provided for by law.
In addition, a voter who does not have a valid photo ID in his or her possession at the polls shall be permitted to vote if the individual is positively identified by two election officials as a voter on the poll list who is eligible to vote and the election officials sign a sworn affidavit so stating.

Seems to me ANYONE can vote in ALABAMA it will just have to be on a provisional ballot which would have to be verified later.

A FAR cry from your bs disenfranchised voter bs post.
Why didn't you just make a Moore sucks thread?

+28 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

So the fact that this election has been known about for how many weeks and months means...what exactly?

Not seeing too much of the crap your just threw against the wall sticking here, because the population of that state have known for way too long what day the election would be and what documents are required to vote.

No excuse for waiting until the day of election.

+22 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Hmmmmm, seems like much to do about nothing! Also this went down in 2015.

Alabama requires every voter to have a valid photo ID to cast a ballot. While a driver’s license is the most common form of ID in the state, Bentley said anyone without a driver’s license can go to any county register’s office and have a photo ID made and the closing of the DMV offices will not change that fact.

Source

+31 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Well the article says 31 drivers license centers will be closing. So white areas will be affected to.

And nothing is to stop blacks from getting those ids at the dmvs that are still open.

The idea that blacks are incapable of getting any one of a number of photo ids is a bigotry of low expectations, and a tiresome one

edit on 12-12-2017 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

+11 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

One of them, Roy Moore, is an alleged sexual predator who thinks America was greatest when when slavery was a thing (because families were united — except of course when they were being sold to different masters — but hey! It was good to be white, amirite?),

Don't forget the rest of the quote by Roy Moore.

"There WERE PROBLEMS. WE HAD SLAVERY; WE'VE OVERCOME SLAVERY. We’ve had prejudice; we still have prejudice. But we’ve turned the tide on civil rights. And we’ve done a lot of things to bring this country around, and I think we can still make it better.”

Nice how you left that part out.

+15 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Why don't we ask some black people what they think of voter ID requirements.

White opinions are first in video, Black opinions start at about 1:30.

Seems pretty racist to me to think just because someone is black they cant get ID's.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Moore will probably win, just because nobody likes whinny dems anymore. Or so it seems.

Really though, who cares? Won't make a lick of difference.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

As most of you are undoubtedly aware, there's an election in Alabama today. In a state with a long history of white conservatives doing just about anything to keep black people from voting, two men are vying for a seat in the US Senate.

One of them, Roy Moore, is an alleged sexual predator who thinks America was greatest when when slavery was a thing (because families were united — except of course when they were being sold to different masters — but hey! It was good to be white, amirite?), has said that repealing every Amendment after the 10th would "eliminate many problems" (including those amendments which abolished slavery and gave black folks and women the right to vote) and refers to people of Asians and ingenious extraction as "reds and yellows."

The twice-fired supreme court justice doesn't discriminate when it comes to bigotry, he's also known for having said that homosexuality should be a crime, that homosexuality is "an inherent evil, and an act so heinous that it defies one's ability to describe it" and that 9/11 was God's punishement for legitimizing sodomy.

Clearly, libtards should step the f off trying to correlate bigotry and conservatism. Stupid libtards. YOU'RE THE BIGOTS! YOU'RE THE BIGOTS! Roy Moore ain't no bigot — FAKE NEWS — one of his attorneys is a Jew! (Happy Hanukah!)

The other guy is Doug Jones, who isn't a total douche bag, who doesn't prance around on stage with a gun, looking like a 10 year-old from the 50's playing cowboys and Indians. Jones is known for having brought the remaining murderous Klansmen to justice for the 16th Street Baptist Church Bombing. (booo! hiss! radical libtard!)

Now back in 2011, Alabama passed a Voter ID law which requires voters to present one of a number of photo IDs at the polling place in order to vote.

Top of the list is of course the most common of photo IDs, the driver's license.

So it should come as no surprise then that less than six weeks before this election, this # happened:

Take a look at the 10 Alabama counties with the highest percentage of non-white registered voters. That's Macon, Greene, Sumter, Lowndes, Bullock, Perry, Wilcox, Dallas, Hale, and Montgomery, according to the Alabama Secretary of State's office. Alabama, thanks to its budgetary insanity and inanity, just opted to close driver license bureaus in eight of them. All but Dallas and Montgomery will be closed.

Closed. In a state in which driver licenses or special photo IDs are a requirement for voting.

Every single county in which blacks make up more than 75 percent of registered voters will see their driver license office closed. Every one.

Calculating...
Calculating...
Calculating...

Fail!

link   
a reply to: Grambler

Well the article says 31 drivers license centers will be closing. So white areas will be affected to.

Yea but....blacks are impacted, so obviously it's just all a plot to disenfranchise black voters. Duh.

All things considered though, it appears that the article highlights the reasons why these offices were shut down: they were located in sparsely populated counties, ergo they didn't make a ton of money. Though it appears that closing the offices only saved about $200k, roughly.

That being said, apparently the DoJ investigated and said that the DMV was "under-serving" blacks in the areas of the closures.

So Alabama re-opened them.

link   

Moore later added, “The greatness I see was in our culture, not in all our policies. There were problems. We had slavery; we’ve overcome slavery. We’ve had prejudice; we still have prejudice. But we’ve turned the tide on civil rights. And we’ve done a lot of things to bring this country around, and I think we can still make it better.”

That was just from your first link.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

So it is not so much that you lie straight out....you just choose how to skew the post to make the information say what you want it to.

Are you arguing that a provisional ballot is just as good? Because they're not. They're rife with issues form inadequately trained poll workers to mishandling. For instance, in the 2016 primaries, 38% of provisional ballots were rejected:

But hey, you make sure YOUR vote is cast on a provisional ballot. Since they're just as good, right?

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   
So some racist thinks poor folk especially black ones can't get an ID. Somebody needs to get out more.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

You're right, it was in 2015 that the DMVs were closed. I'll update the OP, thanks!

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   

While I do think its wrong to close those offices specifically, I'd also like more rounded information. If I didn't know any better, this article would lead me to believe that no minorities in AL even have ID's. I dont know anyone (not in AL) that needed to renew their licence right before an election, coincidentally or not. It definitely could have an effect on some but they cant honestly think people will believe its EVERYONE. Like other have said, this was years ago now. Is having an ID in AL (for anyone) to vote going to be a problem or are there no recent articles this election cycle because people have had time to update their information?

+16 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Oh my heavens you mean they only want the legal voters voting? Oh the travesty!

Lol you crack me up.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   

So the people in those counties had absolutely no chance to get a driver's license /voting i.d. before today?

Maybe if it's so important to use your rights as a citizen and vote- you could plan accordingly and be prepared...

You have no excuse for not having identification if your are an adult resident. It's required for almost every aspect of adult life.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Tekaran

I didn't leave anything out because I didn't quote Roy Moore but you did and you left this part out:

"The greatness I see was in our culture, not in all our policies. There were problems. We had slavery; we’ve overcome slavery. We’ve had prejudice; we still have prejudice. But we’ve turned the tide on civil rights. And we’ve done a lot of things to bring this country around, and I think we can still make it better"

Nice how you left that part out, right? I'd say that slavery automatically precludes greatness in a culture, wouldn't you?

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   
i think it is more racist to suggest that black people are so poor and ignorant that they cant get a voter ID......

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   

This OP is liberal crazy 101. They're reorganizing the way their drivers license divisions work. The state will no longer staff people who are required to perform the drivers license test. But you can continue to renew your license in those counties at locations approved by those counties.

I had to drive just under 50 miles to test for my drivers license (not in a predominantly minority area). But I can renew it a few miles from my house.

Also, I'll just leave this here...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join