It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers to check interstellar body for signs of alien technology

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: bgerbger

I read this this morning and found it quite interesting.

I do have one question though, why would anyone think Aliens would be transmitting on any means or bandwith we can detect or even know about?

I'd think you would do better looking for a heat signature or electro magnetic pulse or gravity anomaly.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

I read this this morning and found it quite interesting.

I do have one question though, why would anyone think Aliens would be transmitting on any means or bandwith we can detect or even know about?

I'd think you would do better looking for a heat signature or electro magnetic pulse or gravity anomaly.

If it was aliens and we detected radio on a fly by it's surely the equivelant of showing yourself in a non threating way to let the idiot natives get used to the idea.

Hey there little monkeys, don't be scared now...

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Read the title again: Astronomers to check interstellar body for signs of alien technology.

So they are looking for implants or anal probes?! lol

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

I bet a BBT could catch up to it. Probably already has. I wish we could find out what it found out. Even if is just a rock.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   

hmmm....... a Red Ochre Kryptonite spear launched at our Sun

anything from interstellar space got there for a deliberate reason.... other than the many interstellar molecular clouds which came about from a Super NOVA or Galaxy explosion that sends clouds of gas into the vacuum of space

As to larger solid objects....round or globular are reasonable shapes to expect
But a spear/ column/ cylinder shape must be investigated

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Seams like a good idea , if we don't check then it's a missed opportunity should it be something more than a big rock.

Perhaps we should send it the Close Encounter tones to keep them occupied on the journey home.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

we share the same stage

But...(i'm always invoking the Buts..)... perhaps that slab of rock was intended as a burial platform for some regional galactic leader (sort of in the Viking Burial mode of a boat sent adrift and set-on-fire) sent into the 'infinity'-of-Space instead of the local body-of-water

no communication devices or antennas' for that type of stylized burial in Space

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   

I have to agree with them and thought that this looked to be an artifact in nature due to it's size and shape, a natural body like that would be unlikely to form due to it's rotation pulling it apart but it could be a fragment, a sold piece of metal from inside an asteroid that was hit by a comet or other object from outside it's own solar system.

I would have loved to have seen much better images but if they exist then likely the public will never get to see them.

If an artifact of another intelligence then likely it is so ancient that it is long dead, a vastly ancient derelict adrift in space for untold ages but sadly we were not able to capture it, if it hold's any secret then they are now lost to us unless that is some black budget department somewhere does indeed have faster than light capability with enough range to reach that object, investigate it and then bring anything interesting back - but of course would we ever hear about that either.

Perhaps like the legendary bark of a million years that the Sun god of the Egyptian's sailed the heaven on it is an ancient long duration craft of some kind and perhaps some alien Elon Musk type guy had his body entombed and launched into space in his own invention long, long ago somewhere very far away.

But you know what the usual response to such musing's is - It's a Rock - But if that crowd had there way the dreamer would not dream, the investigator would not investigate, the explorer explore or indeed the inventor invent.

Humanity, a child or an old man with a bad memory of what he may have done in the past but either way it is a nice thought that we are not alone and that there may just be others out there that just may be enough like us that we would care about one another should we ever meet.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Looks like an interstellar Philly Blunt to me...I knew them aliens party.

Hope it brings the knowledge we all been waiting for.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: KonquestAbySS

Well it does seem to be getting passed around by the stars.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: St Udio
a reply to: gortex

we share the same stage

But...(i'm always invoking the Buts..)... perhaps that slab of rock was intended as a burial platform for some regional galactic leader (sort of in the Viking Burial mode of a boat sent adrift and set-on-fire) sent into the 'infinity'-of-Space instead of the local body-of-water

no communication devices or antennas' for that type of stylized burial in Space

Boy, if this is true, we might be in for a surprise. Imagine for one second this is a "burial pod" of some sort for an admired leader or statesman.. whatever. We begin blasting it with radio waves and such. The "aliens" detect that we have somehow defiled their admired person.

Couldn't you just picture the rain of angry devastation they'd bring, assuming that we did it on purpose. So much for peaceful contact lol.

Now, I admit this is pure fantasy, but sometimes it's fun to dive in. (However, if this does happen, I insist you all call me a sacred prophet and declare that I should be saved from said devastation. lol)

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
Maybe this is part of that NASA announcement on Thursday? I hope they give us a good picture, the one provided seems to be an artistic rendering.

I was wondering about NASA'a announcement as well, thinking it may have something to do with Tom Delonge's supposed upcoming reveal. Has the Kepler telescope been mentioned anywhere in connection with this object?

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: KiwiNite
Radio signals? They're probably using some sort of quantum instant comms but radios? It's like trying to see if they're using smoke signals to communicate and move on after finding nothing.

Depends. What if it's an alien version of Voyager 1? At that level of tech they'd likely still use radio.

We will probably be using radio comms for the next 5 decades or so.

There will come a time when our comms go silent due to quantum systems.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   

he study, which recently appeared online under the title "Project Lyra: Sending a Spacecraft to 1I/'Oumuamua (former A/2017 U1), the Interstellar Asteroid", was conducted by members of the Initiative for Interstellar Studies (i4iS) – a volunteer organization that is dedicated to making interstellar space travel a reality in the near future. The study was supported by Asteroid Initiatives LLC, an asteroid-prospecting company that is dedicated to facilitating the exploration and commercial exploitation of asteroids.

No mission in the history of space exploration has traveled this fast, and the fastest missions to date have only been able to manage about two-thirds that speed. This includes the fastest spaceship to leave the Solar System (Voyager 1) and the fastest spaceship at launch (the New Horizons mission). So creating a mission that could catch up to it would be a major challenge. As the team wrote:

"This [is] considerably faster than any object humanity has ever launched into space. Voyager 1, the fastest object humanity has ever built, has a hyperbolic excess velocity of 16.6 km/s. As 1I/'Oumuamua is already leaving our solar system, any spacecraft launched in the future would need to chase it."

However, as they go on to state, taking on this challenge would inevitably result in key innovations and developments in space exploration technology. Obviously, the launch of such a mission would need to happen sooner other than later, given the asteroid's rapid rate of travel. But any mission that is launched within a few years' time will not be able to take advantage of later technical developments.

phys.org, Nov. 24, 2017 - Project Lyra, a mission to chase down that interstellar asteroid.

I must have been full of turkey around that time, fell asleep, and missed this article!

A group of boffins have the crazy idea of actually chasing it down! Maybe if we had a nuclear fusion engine or something like that, working, right now, and we launched in a year... maybe. Probably in the future we will actual spend more of our resources on doing just that: chasing down interstellar objects.

Forget going back to the moon! Let's send a person, by the end of the next decade, to study these types of objects, in person. We do this not because it is easy but because it is hard!

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   
could be a broken off type of a space cave stalactite

does anyone have any idea how big it is ?

size of car or a state ?

and travling at 196,000 mph,i wouldn't think anywhere near lightspeed would be needed to catch it

light speed something like 174,00 miles per scond

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   

UFO? Close, but no cigar!

I thank you...

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: homers1226

These revealed that `Oumuamua measured some 400 meters (1312 feet) long, is very elongated, and spins on its axis every 7.3 hours – as indicated by the way its brightness varies by a factor of ten.

Source: phys.org article, Project Lyra...

Sometimes a cigar is just a rock!

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   
The object is reminiscent of the ship apparently found on the moon, as doc-
umented by this video:

alien on moon

The Oumuamua, travelling probably at a leisurely pace of several hundred m/s,
look exactly like the one on the moon containing the sheets of in-
decipherable handwritten text.

The structures there were constructed with a blue glass like material that
seemed organic, like they grew the buildings.

a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: justwokeup

Quite true

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ThatHappened

Based on calculations of the asteroid's orbit, it has been determined that 1I/`Oumuamua is traveling at a speed of 26 km/s – which works out to 95,000 km/hour (59,000 mph).

phys.org, Project Lyra

I think that works out to 5.5 AU/year. Current tech is not going to catch it since most of it chemical based. An ion thruster might take too long to get up to speed (that is how we got that satellite to Pluto).

We may need a bit more time to get newer (new-ish) tech up in orbit that works before we go hunting one down. It is a good idea to start thinking about how to actually achieve this. As the Project Lyra guys point out, that is where innovation comes from, just thinking about a problem and possible solutions.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   

The name comes from Hawaiian ʻou.mua.mua, meaning "scout"

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join