It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump wants you to go back to the Moon, America.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

RE: NASA's announcement

No. NASA is set to announce that the Kepler space telescope is going to be assisted with AI n it's search for exoplanets.

Instead of having a person doing the tedious, low hanging fruit searches they are going to let an AI do it.

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   
All presidents have a "let's go to the Moon" speech in their pocket. It's very JFK, and every president wants a piece of that.
Then the budget rolls out.

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
Instead of having a person doing the tedious, low hanging fruit searches they are going to let an AI do it.

It will be motivated to look for more of its own kind.

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti

originally posted by: Revolution9

originally posted by: Peeple

It's not nostalgic at all. It might prove to be necessary to get further away. And kind of cool too. How long will this take?

Knowing Trump it is. Of course for Science it is great news with lots of new cash to spend.

No other President has had any interest. Yes, I repeat, with Trump is it is a sense of nostalgia and pride, you better, you better, you bet. Do ya like him now?

Well, there was one president that had interest. John Kennedy once said, the United States will put a man on the moon before the end of the decade. That was in the early sixties. We got to the moon in '69.

Brilliant use of resources by the President. Keep the nations military busy outdoing the Russians in a 'moon race' instead of an arms race or outright Nookler-mageddon.

We get a lot from the space programs so I would say its a good use of resources. The feds can push innovation much better than the private sector. If Bush would have used 9/11 to say let's get off oil by the end of the decade, imagine where we would be now. Too bad we haven't had good leaders for quite a long time.

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   

First test launch of SPACE X Falcon 9 Heavy booster been slipping

First was July, then September, then November, now into next year ...

Has 1/3 the payload capacity (16, 800 kg to Mars, slightly more to Lunar trajectory)

Saw something about 4th quarter 2018 launch of Dragon capsule carrying 2 people on circumlunar trajectory just in time for
50th ann of Apollo 8 flight to moon

edit on 11-12-2017 by firerescue because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: TruMcCarthy

I do not believe any nation would violate the space treaty, by militarizing space. Putting weapons in space would be a very bad idea and ultimately may have unforeseen consequences for doing such. However, the problem is that Russia, and the EU are ahead of the curve when it comes to putting people into space. The US fell way behind when it cut the program out of NASA, and thus the technology is no longer so cutting edge as it once was. It means that the USA is going to have to get people with college degrees to work on this, engineers and others to take more of an active lead, in the industry.

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: Revolution9

originally posted by: Peeple

It's not nostalgic at all. It might prove to be necessary to get further away. And kind of cool too. How long will this take?

Knowing Trump it is. Of course for Science it is great news with lots of new cash to spend.

No other President has had any interest. Yes, I repeat, with Trump is it is a sense of nostalgia and pride, you better, you better, you bet. Do ya like him now?

Well, there was one president that had interest. John Kennedy once said, the United States will put a man on the moon before the end of the decade. That was in the early sixties. We got to the moon in '69.

Brilliant use of resources by the President. Keep the nations military busy outdoing the Russians in a 'moon race' instead of an arms race or outright Nookler-mageddon.

We get a lot from the space programs so I would say its a good use of resources. The feds can push innovation much better than the private sector. If Bush would have used 9/11 to say let's get off oil by the end of the decade, imagine where we would be now. Too bad we haven't had good leaders for quite a long time.

Thats why they (all) killed him and his brother.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
I think the Chinese will have a moon base established before NASA can get a vehicle to get us there. I would rather see private enterprise take over the space race. NASA is a black hole for appropriations with it's bloated budget. It's been almost 50 years....we should be mining the moons of Jupiter and growing corn on Uranus.

More chance of growing corn out of than on

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: wmd_2008

You couldn't resist a Uranus gag, could you? Tee-hee.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Works for me...

I call shotgun.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 06:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: firerescue

First test launch of SPACE X Falcon 9 Heavy booster been slipping

First was July, then September, then November, now into next year ...

Has 1/3 the payload capacity (16, 800 kg to Mars, slightly more to Lunar trajectory)

Saw something about 4th quarter 2018 launch of Dragon capsule carrying 2 people on circumlunar trajectory just in time for
50th ann of Apollo 8 flight to moon

The Falcon Heavy has been slipping it's test launch since at least 2013, which - as far as I recall - is the first time Elon actually put a date more specific than "in a couple of years" on it. That said, if not for the issues getting in getting their 2nd Florida pad (SLC-40) back up and running after the September 2016 pad explosion and the Zuma payload fairing issues last month, they might have gotten it off before the end of the year.

I think we'll see Falcon Heavy fly in 2017, but I'm skeptical they will pull off a repeat of Apollo 8 using a crewed Dragon, only because I'm not convinced the FAA will certify a human flight with only 2 or 3 prior flights of the same rocket.

It would be great if the administration, Congress, and NASA would invest a bit more money in the private sector. They've been working on a "cheap" and "easy" shuttle-derived moon and Mars vehicle since 2005 with tens of billions of dollars spent and nothing more to show for it than test firing engines built from leftover shuttle components and practicing the application of insulating foam.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join