It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian wives furious over proposal to send sex workers to troops

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:50 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Many might argue why should men have to go and hide what we are told a perfectly natural activity for us all males and females alike.

edit on 12-12-2017 by Azureblue because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 03:11 AM
link   
(long reply to the OP)
I think implementing this would be a bad idea. Here are some thoughts I had about it:

One reason is because the article says "... sex on deployment could help ease the stress of 'loneliness or prolonged absence from family, friends, partners and spouses'”. One of my concerns is that when a person is stressed and finds emotional release (to a person, in this case), the stressed person might develop a strong emotional attachment to the outlet. That might lead to my next concerns.

Possessiveness. I've seen people getting jealous & fight just about dating the same person. In the articles proposal, would having a release from sex workers designated to units, would service members choose to be regulars and become possessive over "their" favored sex worker/s? Although the sex workers would do their function, jealousy, possessiveness and friction can still occur amongst troops because of this and at possibly a higher rate than if there were no assigned sex workers.

Having these regular sex workers + not able to release and/or the friction amongst each other (troops) could put the sex workers in danger of being assaulted, raped, etc. by service members that are looking to release, but their "favorite" might be too tired, not in the mood, etc. To nutshell it, I draw that from my studies (not internet research, so I have no links) on when people use striking heavybags (example) was a release when upset; a lot are told to "visualize" what they are upset at, often being another person. The body adopts striking as a method to release emotions, stress, etc.; it also engrains in muscle memory. And then when that person gets into a heated argument (for example), but the bag (striking element for release) is not present, the person's stress, adrenaline, etc increases, sometimes resulting in blacks-out where, unknowingly, the stressed person beats the person they were arguing with. Why? It is what they trained their body & mind was their "release". I know that doesn't happen all the time, but I have seen it happen in others. In those regards, I don't see sex workers for the military as a good proposal. That leads to my next concern.

Spies. Another concern I have is spies infiltrating as military sex workers and purposely getting military personnel to develop emotional attachments to the spies. If that happens, there is the possibility of extracting information. But, too, the spies might be able to use their influencing to manipulate the personnel into causing friction with each other, influence bad ideas into powerful ears, etc. Tear units down from the inside.

The article talks about suicide rates. I feel it is not a good idea to intentionally put temptation (sex workers) in front of the troops, especially they could be emotionally vulnerable from what they are currently going through. How will a trooper feel, knowing they sexually cheated on their spouse/partner? If they feel guilty, that might drive them further into loneliness and cause them to feel unworthy of their spouse/partner. I feel that compounded emotional void push suicide ideology rates up, before they return home and have to face their spouse/partner.

Thanks for reading.
edit on 2017 12 12 by oldme because: forgot a period :

edit on 2017 12 12 by oldme because: Typo... I'm sure I missed more, though

edit on 2017 12 12 by oldme because: added a thought o.O

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 05:30 AM
link   
a reply to: oldme

Very valid hard to argue against points, also military brass as pimps??.
edit on 12-12-2017 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 06:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

Privacy might make it easier for the person to keep it ...like...you know.
edit on 12-12-2017 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
a reply to: generik
No offence, but a heathy guy needs to get laid about every 10 days or so. I don't have any science for this, but as a Captain in the Merchant Marines and 35 years running a construction company, it's just personal observation.

there is no need for a guy to get laid every 10 days or so. there are plenty of healthy men who have literally gone YEARS without having sex. there are even those who have never had sex, and are perfectly healthy. there is a want of sex for most men, (and i would assume women) but certainly no need for it. and if men did need sex, i would also have to think that would equally apply to women, so i guess the government would also need to supply the same sex needs for the partners left at home? and i'm sure that would really be good for the moral of the fighting men knowing those loved ones they left behind are having sex with others, while they are gone. something that has caused men to loose moral, and to even go over the edge after receiving a "dear John letter", or even suspecting their wife was cheating on them back home.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

It would reduce the temptation to rape captives. Sad as it is, war diminishes some people's morality.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879
Hi there,

When I was active duty, although not at our command, there were incidents of Enlisted being involved in pimping or trying to become one. Do I think it could possibly happen with the sex workers, regardless of Enlisted or Officer?
Yes; it wouldn’t surprise me.

I am uncertain that having sex workers for military personnel would reduce temptations to rape captives. Although some studies show that prostitution might reduce rape and sexual assault, as far as I'm aware, those studies were taken from in non-life-threatening environments. I feel the potential emotional & stress differences (non-threatening vs. combat) could cause unexpected & undesired results in the troops. With bringing in sex workers, I think the raping of captives might stay the same or possibly increase. But, if it decreased, that is a plus.

Off-topic. I don’t know how to reduce war-rape. I think a start would be to severely punish anyone who gives an order to rape or doesn't give the order, but "looks the other way"; strip them of everything they earned in the military, cease pay, pension, no veteran status, etc. and then prosecute them to the fullest extent.

Next, I would to talk to troops who want to stop/reduce war-rape, especially those who have experienced and/or witnessed it and were opposed to it (if they were comfortable talking about it)… listen to their experiences & suggestions and go from there. Brainstorm.

Back on topic. I’m biased. I feel the way a person trains/was trained is revealed in their actions. I would rather troops be taught & trained to maintain strict self-discipline & troop-discipline vs. using sex workers as a crutch.

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
... soldiers can do what soldiers have always done since the dawn of man. Go find a sand dune to hide behind and jerk off.

I agree with BASSPLYR
edit on 2017 12 12 by oldme because: typo fix & rewording

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 02:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
a reply to: Azureblue

Privacy might make it easier for the person to keep it ...like...you know.

If we blokes show leadership on the issue and come out into the open with it, (litterly speaking), then our leadership might cause the ladies to come out into the open too and start doing the same thing a?

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 02:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
a reply to: generik
No offence, but a heathy guy needs to get laid about every 10 days or so. I don't have any science for this, but as a Captain in the Merchant Marines and 35 years running a construction company, it's just personal observation.

Once the guys blow off a little steam I get two weeks of peace and quiet.

Sorry, I cant agree that blokes need to get laid every 10 days or so, its actually every 2-3 days........ for me anyway.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join