It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supposed Humor: Chelsea Handler Mocking Sarah Huckabee Sanders for her looks

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 02:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

Now you can say Trump does this all the time, but he's not an "enlightened" Progressive like Handler is.

My question is: Is it right for a feminist to do something like this to another women, chiefly because they disagree Politically?

Again, I get that Trump has been mean like this, but is it ok for a Progressive to basically act like the person they despise (Trump) to score political points like this by body shaming someone basically? She's called Sarah Huckabee Sanders a harlot who wears Whore Lipstick as well
Your thoughts?
Hey Left leaning people here, I want to hear your thoughts on it? Is this Appropriate?

Please tell me that you arent truly this ignorant and/or willfully stupid.
One is a comedian. One is the President of the United States. They should probably be held to slightly different standards, don't you think?
Equating or comparing a comedian insulting someone to the freaking POTUS doing so and or pretending that they are in any way comparable is legitimately one of the most idiotic things I have ever read on here.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 06:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Maroboduus

Now you can say Trump does this all the time, but he's not an "enlightened" Progressive like Handler is.

My question is: Is it right for a feminist to do something like this to another women, chiefly because they disagree Politically?

Again, I get that Trump has been mean like this, but is it ok for a Progressive to basically act like the person they despise (Trump) to score political points like this by body shaming someone basically? She's called Sarah Huckabee Sanders a harlot who wears Whore Lipstick as well
Your thoughts?
Hey Left leaning people here, I want to hear your thoughts on it? Is this Appropriate?

Please tell me that you arent truly this ignorant and/or willfully stupid.
One is a comedian. One is the President of the United States. They should probably be held to slightly different standards, don't you think?
Equating or comparing a comedian insulting someone to the freaking POTUS doing so and or pretending that they are in any way comparable is legitimately one of the most idiotic things I have ever read on here.

If you had actually read you would have been able to actually answer the questions I posed. Handler considers herself a feminist. Were her actions appropriate for someone claiming that? I didnt compare the two and used Trump in my OP so people wouldn't deflect and go .... but Trump did this....

Either try to answer my questions or move on. Is body shaming a tactic the Left approves of? There's no denying that's what Handler did.
edit on 13-12-2017 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: pavil

The purpose of satire is to expose the hypocrisy of the satirized. Donald Trump and his supporters routinely use body shaming against their opponents, hence, body shaming the body shamers is appropriately satirical. I am not surprised that I have needed to explain the concept of "humor" to Trump supporters. A lack of humor is one sign of psychosis.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

I'm by no means a Trump supporter, but I did not see Handler's comments as satirical -- i.e., she did not make those comments in a satirical context.

If she were being "Chelsea Handler, The Comedian" when she said it (such as in a stand-up or monologue setting), then maybe it would be satirical. However, (and I could be wrong) it seemed to me she was being "Chelsea Handler, The Person" in this situation.

Handler has very often in the past made serious (non-satirical) comments about the administration, social issues, and feminism -- and this seemed to me to be one of those serious situations. It didn't seem like she was "just being satirically funny" in her body-shaming of Sanders.

In fact, Handler said about her mocking of Huckabee Sanders' looks in this remark (below), which doesn't defend her mocking as being "satirical", but rather a serious attack on Sander's ideaology. Chelsea Handler's defense of the body-shaming was :

"This woman [Huckabee Sanders]deserves to be taken down. She is pure evil.'

Granted -- Handler has every right to shame Sarah Huckabee Sanders over her decisions to support the Trump administration and criticize Sanders' words and actions; I have no problem with that at all. However, shaming Sanders' looks in an attempt to try to criticize her word and actions is just not right.

It certainly isn't the feminist thing to do. If she wants to criticize Sanders' over her support of Trump, then go at it. But go at it by criticizing her actions, not her looks.

I'm a socially left-leaning person, but I have no problem calling Chelsea Handler out on this. Her use of bady shaming in order to belittle and bully another person and their ideaology was just plain wrong. There are plenty of other ways to criticize the actions and political ideologies of other people without resorting to "...and they're ugly, too!"

edit on 13/12/2017 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 08:43 AM
link   
So, she's being presidential?

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shakawkaw
So, she's being presidential?

Yeah, Chelsea Handler seems to be acting like the President when the president uses bully tactics in making superficial and pointless criticisms of people's looks.

It's wrong for him to do, and it's wrong for her to do.

Chelsea Handler is acting like the bullies in the film "Mean Girls".

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Mocking people for their looks is supposed to be Trump's job, right? He's the one who defends himself against sexual harassment charges by claiming his accusers are too ugly for him to molest, right? Where the heck does Chelsea H get off thinking she's like Trump?

Trump is Trash!
Worst. 'president'. EVER!

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: TownCryer

Mocking people for their looks is supposed to be Trump's job, right? He's the one who defends himself against sexual harassment charges by claiming his accusers are too ugly for him to molest, right? Where the heck does Chelsea H get off thinking she's like Trump?

Trump is Trash!
Worst. 'president'. EVER!

So by doing the same thing, is Handler any better than Trump in this?

A lot of you seem to be missing the point. I'll give your Trump is bad with mocking people. Does mocking people yourself make you somehow better than him? You are like the 5th person here who has done the "well Trump did it" arguement. Yet you have no comment on Handlers exact same actions. Interesting.

I would contend that anyone mocking another in such fashion is in poor taste and wrong.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   

I think .25 percent better since she isn't president going into the Smithsonian, history will most likely forget her.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

People seem to be caught up in well he's President, she is "just" a comedian. Both can be wrong for their behaviors exclusive of the job and exclusive of each other.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   

They can but your also pretending the two have the same impact on society and history.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

I think .25 percent better since she isn't president going into the Smithsonian, history will most likely forget her.

I get that. But she's a public figure and there's the whole hypocrisy of a tolerant person who portrays a feminist, who look shame's someone angle. The rudeness of society eventually has to reach a peak before we scale it back.

If you're mad at Trump go after the man, not employees of his. It's like picking on a Kid because you have a gripe with their parents, IMO.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   

They can but your also pretending the two have the same impact on society and history.

Are their actions we are talking about, wrong? Then they should be addressed. How many views has that video gotten ect. It's not like she's just a normal person either. She did this on her soapbox.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   

I agree. Even better go after his thoughts and ideas.

But the president has a certain weight no one else does.

I mean maybe Justin beiber but he is Canadian so we should be safe.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   

You're right.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Are their actions we are talking about, wrong? Then they should be addressed. How many views has that video gotten ect. It's not like she's just a normal person either. She did this on her soapbox.

Probably a lot less views then the media about the president,

And then of coarse history is going to forget this women. You can go to the bank on that one.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   

a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

People seem to be caught up in well he's President, she is "just" a comedian. Both can be wrong for their behaviors exclusive of the job and exclusive of each other.

Yes. They both are wrong.

Chelsea Handler's shaming of Sanders' looks cannot be chaulked up to "Chealsea Handler is a comedian and was just trying to be funny", because Handler's very own explanation of why she shamed Huckabee was NOT because Handler was trying to be funny but because (and quoted directly from Chelsea Handler hersef):

"This woman [Huckabee Sanders] deserves to be taken down. She is pure evil."

That sounds to me as if she was using body shaming as a way to criticize the thoughts and poltitical ideaologies of another person, not in order to "be funny". Chelsea Handler wasn't being satirical; she was being a verbally abusive bully.

Criticize someone else by directly criticizing their words, thoughts, and ideas...not by criticizing their looks.

The President is also a verbal abusing bully, loose cannon, and immature. It's not just "wrong" for a President to be those things, but it's dangerous as well due to his power.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Now you're asking too much. God forbid you actually offer a response rebuttal to it as well

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Now you're asking too much. God forbid you actually offer a response rebuttal to it as well

I struggle with understanding if we are colectively morons who need petty arguments to make choices about who we are and what we believe or are being programmed by the world and media around us.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Trump may have set the table but Handler and others go to the buffet for all you can eat......

You can chose not to eat

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join