It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does the moon stop moving right at Totality of a complete Solar Eclipse?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: CircleofFloss

the sun moves from east to west, as does the moon

yet the eclipse happened from west to east.
In order to understand orbital motions you need to "think outside the box", or outside of Earth's orbit. Because we are on the surface of the Earth spinning and orbiting with it, it appears that the Sun and Moon are moving when it is us that is moving.

The Sun and Moon do not move from east to west, in your example, but rather the Earth spins from west to east (counter clockwise motion). The Moon orbits the Earth in this same direction, west to east (also counter clockwise), over a lunation or lunar orbit of 27 days. It is this motion, the slow orbit of the Moon around the Earth in a counter clockwise motion, that causes the eclipse shadow to move from west to east.

It is a counter intuitive idea that once you understand it does seem to have a *mind blown!* feel to it.

Add;
This video might explain it better.

edit on 12/10/2017 by Devino because: added video

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: SailorJerry

well you did spell 'answered' correctly, so kudos there guy.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Devino

still don't see how that slow of an orbit of the moon can account for or nullify the fast rotation of the earth. if that were normally the case, the moon would never set east to west almost every night, but it does.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   

and in that video, the earth isn't rotating, it's just stationary. doesn't work that way. good effort though.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Light takes a few minutes to get to earth perhaps?

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   

still don't see how that slow of an orbit of the moon can account for or nullify the fast rotation of the earth. if that were normally the case, the moon would never set east to west almost every night, but it does.
It has to do with the distances the Moon is from the Earth and Sun. The Earth spins much faster than the Moon orbits but because of the great distances (@93m miles:250k miles) the shadow moves faster than the rotation of the Earth.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   

and in that video, the earth isn't rotating, it's just stationary. doesn't work that way. good effort though.
It is an animation in an attempt to help you understand the orbital perspective I was trying to explain. It is science not magic. I can try to explain the science as far as I know it but you'll have to meet me half way.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   

that makes sense as far as the shadow goes I think.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   

I just wonder why Nasa doesn't try and explain it through a video or some sort of animation. I know I don't have the technical expertise to do an animation like that, so def kudos for putting that together.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

be real funny if that were true lol

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance
a reply to: CircleofFloss

It doesn't stop moving. Here is a lengthy thread by someone else with the same false assumption, and with numerous succinct explanations as to why that assumption is incorrect.

Try searching before you post.

I don't know about you, but the day-old n00b OP's writing style in this thread and the banned OP in that thread are pretty spot on to me.

It's safe to assume vexing people for kicks is going on here.

I thought the same thing...

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Thats a demotion - hell is where the parties and orgies are

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Well spotted. I wonder if they were banned or lost their account details and are too lazy to write something new.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

Well spotted. I wonder if they were banned or lost their account details and are too lazy to write something new.

that's a sign of banning

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

And it didn't take long to start another account. Just now got a screen grab from another thread. And ready to get my free cookie.

👀

I kid alot....
But I care about this wonderfully crazy site.

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Optical illusion only appears that way if you focus on it

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   
dude please just stop with these threads
if you want to get nice comments
do your research

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Well I have not calculated this. The move revolves around the earth and the earth around the sun take in mind. I don't know that those east to west angle hold up but I don't plan on finding out. I assume if you take into account all the variables as how the shadow works and how everything is moving and spinning it all works out.

If you found out it somehow does not then that would be something to bring to everyone's attention.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join