It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An odd concept.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I was reading yet another thread derailed by a troll. Going over the same issues again. I understand that Masons wish to defend themselves, rightly so but watching this continual debate is like watching a pro-choice vs anti-abortion arguement. No one is being convinced. The info is there for anyone to read in Nth amount of threads. All anyone has to do is look here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

OK to the concept. Once you have seen that you are dealing with a troll, takes about 1/2 of a microsecond, ignore him. I don't mean put him on "ignore", although that is an option, but do not continue to engage in this exercise that only eats up bandwidth and eventually garners warns.

Thoughts?

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Is that the right link?

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Is that the right link?

Yup, that's the Secret Societies forum page.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I can identify with what you are saying because I myself have posted some things in response to these trolls that I shouldn't have. Nothing that would warrant a warning I don't think, but possibly borderline. Hey, I'm only human.

I think the issue for me is 1) it makes for good humor 2) I hate letting blatantly ignorant posts stand without at least attempting (sometimes poorly, sometimes in futility) to expose the ignorance and shed some light on the subject.

I agree with you to an extent that no one is being convinced, the antis have their minds made up, as do the Masons. But think about the people who are new here and have no idea who and what the Masons are. For those people, they don't know who is a troll and who is not, so if we let the trolls have their way with this board and just ignore them, people that come here wanting to learn something may think that since there is no challenge to what is being presented, it must be true. That's what the trolls would say, I guarantee it. "See, they won't comment on this, so they must be hiding something, so it must be true!"

Granted, I'm a little hot-headed at times, and I tend to lean toward sarcasm (thanks Mom, God bless you), but I mean well. It's like I said before, if you come here to instigate and be foolish, don't be surprised when you are made a fool of.

This Mason/anti-Mason debate will never be put to bed here. All we can do is keep up the fight and hope that rational folks who casually come through here will wiegh the words and read the links and see who is full of it and who is not.

Just my $0.02. (What is that in Canada, Intrepid?
)

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Is that the right link?

He does that alot.

[edit on 2/13/05 by The Axeman]

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I see what you're saying Axeman, damned if you do, damned if you don't. What I mean though is once you've replied to said troll, questions answered, ignore further tripe and baiting.

BTW, 2 cent American can probably buy you a good used car here.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Problem is, Axeman doesn't reply, he'll post pictures, and agree with Brothers how funny their jokes are.

Thats WHY people say 'See, look they won't address the issue!'

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
You're NOT jacking my thread mate. This is one of my assigned forums so I eventually read all the posts here and I can say that the Masons do answer the questions put to them. Some just can't fit their answers into their limited perceptions.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
perhaps if there was some way to move the troll posts to the bottom of a thread that deals with their subject ( if you can find it) and make it so only those
who have read the entire can see it and reply to it would help. Especially if the
thread in question was at least 20 pages long.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I see what you're saying Axeman, damned if you do, damned if you don't. What I mean though is once you've replied to said troll, questions answered, ignore further tripe and baiting.

Where's the fun in that?

BTW, 2 cent American can probably buy you a good used car here.

I thought that was only in Mexico...

originally posted by akilles
Problem is, Axeman doesn't reply, he'll post pictures, and agree with Brothers how funny their jokes are.

And let me state, AGAIN, that I am NOT a Mason, so they are NOT my Brothers. Friends? Absolutely.

[edit on 2/13/05 by The Axeman]

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I'm very new here and thus far have enjoyed the discussions. I've tried to mind my p's and q's and repect others. I'll be the first to admit that I don't always explain myself as well I as I could sometimes, but so is the life I lead.

Ironically sometimes as odd as this may sound...the anti-mason's attacks and ultimate "grasping at straws" rhetoric actually solidifies the masonic side of the story by showing how rediculous the anti's arguments can be.

I agree with Axeman that if we (as Masons or defenders Masonry) don't atleast comment on some of the outlandish claims laid before us, someone new to the board could misinterpret "silence" as an admission of guilt.

One thing I learned years ago as an IRCop, is that there are alot of "trouble makers" out there and when you get rid of one there are two more to take his/her place.

One thing that might be useful in conjuntion of the "ignoring" policy is an "always on top" locked thread containing a "Masonic Discussion Primer" if you will. Something outlining threads that have been hashed out time and again with the overal concesus. Just a thought.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   
If you're interested, here's some background on trolls, what they do, how they do it, and the pros and cons on ways of dealing with them.

www.hyphenologist.co.uk...

Actually, after reading the above article, ATS seems to have a fairly mild troll problem compared with other sites, due ( in my opinion ) to good policing by the moderators, and by members that refuse to let trolls take over a thread and close what could be an enlightening discussion.

For the most part, I think that most members have shown remarkable self restraint in the face of the lies and innuendo constantly thrown at them and have toned it down when verbally warned.

Are members going to lose their temper occasionally and make posts less about topic and more about the troll's level of intelligence?
Of course.
Even if you try to ignore them, trolls will keep picking at you until there is no option than to strike back. I can't blame those who do.

I do have to admit though, sometimes it's pretty amusing to watch a troll come in stomping his big hairy feet and spouting some pseudo - intellectual nonsense and be shown to be a fool by someone armed only with a logical and cogent point of view.

I'm beginning to believe that for some sick reason trolls actually crave the abuse ( they certainly invite it ), and sometimes I wonder if perhaps I should pity them rather than find my amusement at their expense.

Then again

They do seem to enjoy it.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Great post and good link tylerdjp. I think our troll problem here is less severe though, due mostly to the site staff who do a great job. Most of the trolls here are irritating, at best, and most do tend to go away after a while. But the same folks that were here to fight the good fight when I first signed on here are still doing it. The trolls come and go. There is something to be said for the truth, I guess. It withstands the test of time.

I think a troll can only be made to look silly so many times before he gets fed up and takes his attitude back under his bridge where it belongs. At least I hope so.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   
i think i will just jump this up for those that didnt see it yesterday if thats OK.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Axeman

I think a troll can only be made to look silly so many times before he gets fed up and takes his attitude back under his bridge where it belongs. At least I hope so.

Sadly that is not the case axeman. My thread is one of those that got kinda of sidetracked. Thats why I quit responding to it. the only way to deal with a troll isto just move past thier post and show them who is better than who by not lowering ourselves to thier level.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by zombiemann

Sadly that is not the case axeman. My thread is one of those that got kinda of sidetracked. Thats why I quit responding to it. the only way to deal with a troll isto just move past thier post and show them who is better than who by not lowering ourselves to thier level.

Yeah, unfortunately it did, but give it some time and see who is still aroud in a month or so. I know who my money is on.

Sorry man, sometimes I just can't let it go, and if it makes them look like a dumbass and makes me laugh at the same time, well that's two birds with one stone IMO. Call me a prick, whatever, but you gotta admit, at times it is quite funny. What's the point if you can't have a little fun? You don't see me raggin' on people with honest questions or opinions that may be from an ignorant standpoint do you? No. I only flame the trolls who are here to be dumb and derail threads. If you pay attention to my posts, most generally I try to help. It's only the folks who refuse to accept the truth or who want to squirm and twist words that I give a hard time.

So does that make me a bad guy? Or my mother's son? Or both? I'm going with the latter of the two personally, but that's just me. I like me, I'm biased.

People who ask for it will get it, plain and simple. I'm not going to get out of line, but so what if I razz 'em a little?

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I hope you dont think I was ragging on you axeman. I was not. I was morew refering to the trolls that took bits and peices of the original intent and twisted them around to turn it into a battle in the first place. And im not even aganst having a little fun making them look stupid. Its the fact that people just dont know when to give up. There as several who i have officialy decided that no matter what they say im not going to give them the satisfaction of a response.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by zombiemann
I hope you dont think I was ragging on you axeman. I was not. I was morew refering to the trolls that took bits and peices of the original intent and twisted them around to turn it into a battle in the first place. And im not even aganst having a little fun making them look stupid. Its the fact that people just dont know when to give up. There as several who i have officialy decided that no matter what they say im not going to give them the satisfaction of a response.

No, I didn't think that, I'm trackin'.

The trouble with your last statement is what I said earlier. If we let them have their way with the board without being checked, then in some small way they win. My point is not to belittle them so much as it is to show others who may be unwary that these are indeed trolls and should be treated as such, and have a chuckle while I'm at it.

[edit on 2/14/05 by The Axeman]

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   

If we let them have their way with the board without being checked, then in some small way they win.

I thought that was my job.

Not with specific info, I'll leave that to the learned Masons, but dealing with troublemakers.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   

This Mason/anti-Mason debate will never be put to bed here. All we can do is keep up the fight and hope that rational folks who casually come through here will wiegh the words and read the links and see who is full of it and who is not.

I'll have to agree with this. There's no telling how many casual viewers and posters learn from current posts about Masonry.
I, for one, was new to conspiracy theories and Masonry a year ago. The informed posts of the Masons on ATS soon convinced me of the truth about Freemasonry.
No matter how much we wish people would read old posts, the reality is many people only see current debate on issues.

I now consider many Masons here as a friend.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

If we let them have their way with the board without being checked, then in some small way they win.

I thought that was my job.

Not with specific info, I'll leave that to the learned Masons, but dealing with troublemakers.

Quite right. As I said earlier I think that's why we have a relatively small troll problem here. Good staff.

Not trying to usurp your power there buddy. You da man.

I've been moderated and verbally warned too (never a Red Laundry Tag of Shame, though
), by you even, and when you did that what did I say? Yup. My bad. You've got a job to do and you do it well.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join