It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At What Age Does It Stop Being A Pedophile Issue?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: AMPTAH

Yup had a lot of co-workers throw that at me while we were dating, I just laughed it off.

11 years later we are still married, those that were married criticizing us are divorced so I will claim a win.

ETA: I always joke with her the only reason I married a younger woman was to have someone to change my adult diapers.

edit on 10-12-2017 by Irishhaf because: additional thought.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

A 19 year old with a 16 year old starts to get shady, where a 15 and a 20 year old I would comfortably place in the pediphile basket.

I don't understand why you would use the term pedophile when neither legally or biologically fits your examples of what pedophilia actually is.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: bluechevytree

You mean like this 52-year-old man who decided he was a 6-year-old girl and left his family when his inner child asserted herself?

Wolscht used to be an eight-year-old girl, but later went even younger at the insistence of his adopted sibling. “A year ago I was eight and she was seven. And she said to me, ‘I want you to be the little sister, so I’ll be nine.’ I said, ‘Well, I don’t mind going to six.’ So I’ve been six ever since.”

I wonder if they ever play doctor?

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Looks is a major factor and at the root of sexual attraction.

Being sexually attracted to someone who's biologically developed and capable of bearing children is different than sexual attraction to a pre-pubescent child.

Blatantly different.
edit on 10-12-2017 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: bluechevytree
The progressives have made this subject a real pandora`s box.

let`s say that a 30 year old "identifies" as a 16 year old can they legally have sex with other 16 year olds?
since gender identity is now a thing why can`t age identity be a thing?

Well, what you're pointing to is "age discrimination".

We still allow, support, and embrace various forms of "age discrimination" in this society.

At some point, people will rise up and overturn all the bigoted forms of discrimination against age that prevent people from various rights: like jobs, sex, driving a car, smoking, running for president, voting, etc...

All these things have various arbitrary "age" limits attached to the right to do these things "legally".

After we've won and overturned all the other forms of discrimination, "age discrimination" will be the last battle on the planet of the earth.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I'm ok with the general guidelines.

Still, over in Eastern Europe where I'm actually about to go in a week, if I go out to a club I'll see 15/16 yr olds partying with 30 yr olds. Just part of the culture. At 15/16 they can smoke, they can drink, and they're largely far more street smart and experienced than the coddled American suburban girl at 15/16.

I'm not really a fan of it. If I had a daughter I wouldn't want her dating someone that much older. But again, many people there since these girls carry themselves as older, look older, smoke and drink with you as allowed and are generally pretty mature, they do in fact consider it a relationship.

But cultures are different. Here in the states the above is not allowed yet I can go down to the Folsom St Fair in SF and see a bunch of naked gay dudes wacking each other off on stage as families will little kids walk by.....and I'm supposed to accept that or be labelled a bigot.

Yet try that in Eastern Europe and you damn sure aren't getting off that stage without a serious beating.
edit on 10-12-2017 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I'm dating someone almost 18 years younger than me. Wasn't even looking for a relationship, just kind of fell into it. She's 20 almost 21 and I'm 38.

So far has been the best most stable relationship I've been in. I was uncertain about the age thing at first, and the mom being same age as me is weird, but my girlfriend and I share so much in common and are so compatible I don't foresee anything ruining the relationship. Age isn't everything. That said, it is something, and both parties should at least be adults. After that though is between them.

Determining adult hood seems to be the main disagreement between some countries ect.

That said under no circumstances is a prepubescent child acceptable and I think that more development physically, mentally and emotionally is necessary beyond that as well.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Thanks all for your responses! I unfortunately was gone all day, so only now getting on. To take care of 2 respondents first:

To the guy who thinks this is click bait because of my user name.... hahaha! Wow. I’ve been here for over 8 years. I’m going for the long game on trolling. My user name is my nickname, so you can blame my siblings for that!

Back to topic (hey, I can hijack my own thread)

I agree that there are 2 viewpoints- legal and layman. I admit I didn’t know there was a different term for teenagers. That’s my bad.

I asked this question because I keep seeing the word “pedophile” being bandied about all over the place. The Roy Moore saga was one. After a while the word HAS come to mean something different than the legal definition to “laymen”. It’s the Kleenex word for anyone who is significantly older trying and/or succeeding to seduce (I’m trying to be delicate here) anyone under age 17-ish. Most of us here are within a couple of years on agreeing what’s creepy and what’s acceptable. But not all. And to make matters even murkier, the older we get, the less age difference matters as long as both parties are consenting adults.

ETA:
May-December romances aren’t bad, btw. I don’t think anyone here implied that. Woody Allen tried to claim that his relationship with his adopted daughter was one, but I never bought it either. He groomed that child, and I have no problem calling him a pedophile.

edit on 12/10/2017 by Lolliek because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/10/2017 by Lolliek because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Lolliek

if youre innocent i apologize.

, but if your wondering about roy moore and the labels.

the left likes labeling people in stages
1.sexist
2.racist/nazi
3.pedo

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: dashen

Um, thanks I think. Seriously though, 9 years! I haven’t started many threads, but I really wanted some discussion on this. And have learned quite a bit because of it. Don’t be so quick to assume the worst.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: dashen

if youre innocent i apologize.

, but if your wondering about roy moore and the labels.

the left likes labeling people in stages
1.sexist
2.racist/nazi
3.pedo

really, and what stage are you at?

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

im calling people nazi space yetis these days

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Well, conservatives were all up in arms 2 years ago over gays getting married...

I remember hearing things like, "If we normalize gay marriage, what's next, accepting pedophiles?"

Hmmm...I guess they were just predicting their own future?

And I'm kind of wondering where all the conservative/alt-right pedogate/pizzagate people are on this one. They've been oddly silent, and I thought they were rabid anti-pedophiles?

Odd...

edit on 11-12-2017 by Kettu because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Perhaps some people here would be Horrified at the latest B Grade Celebrity news.......

Lionel Richie's 19 year old daughter Sofia, is the "Girlfriend" (yes kissing and stuff) of 34 year old Scott Disick (whom ever he is), and yes there are pictures to prove it.

I wonder if he will sign her HS yearbook?

Is he a Pedo then or not? Apparently he went out with a Kakazanian or someone once....

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 01:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I do not think an eighteen year old dating a close to seventeen year old girl is pedophile. A couple of years difference is considered in the legal system. But a twenty six year old going out with a sixteen year old with no intention of any relationship, that would be a pedophile activity. Once the girl is eighteen, then it is open season.

I think you are saying 18 because that is the Federal age for filming if you know what I mean.

In my state the age of consent is 16. I think that makes it legal no matter what people think. I personally think 16 year olds are not very mature, but who am to say. When the law says 16 is the appropriate age for consenting individuals then you have to imagine that the folks in the legislature knew what they were doing. I mean the age of consent is the age of consent legally for a 16 year old and a 60 year old.

If people think something should be different then they should lobby for the age of consent to be raised up maybe to 18 so State law would agree with Federal law.

In Obama's home state of Hawaii the age of consent is 15. Most states say 16. New York is 17.

Don't forget that the female makes babies. That is what nature intended. Why be prudish about it? I guess most of the law makers in most states feel like 16 is about right for baby making.

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Oh and as for the age difference... who cares.

I think the idea that a 23 year old marries a 23 year old is just narrow minded. I think the concept of people of same age or very close age coupling up is actually an elite strategy intending to hold down the potential of the reproducing population. For most of Earthly time older men have been fathering children with younger women. It is known to be a very good strategy. A family tree can experience tremendous growth of power (physical, mental, financial, etc.) in this type of situation. That is exactly why the elites want the general population to think along the lines of high school sweethearts and such.

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 04:38 AM
link   
I agree. I matured very early physically and mentally. IQ was pretty significantly high, I modeled a bit (as a 20-something implied age, when I was 15) and was bored stiff by high school boys when I was that age.

For reference, I’m almost 50 now but when I was 16, became enamored with a 26 year old. We ended up dating for 8 months.

Looking back several years later, do I think it was a bad idea? Yes. But no one could have stopped me then. I hid it from my parents and even many friends. As did he. Should he - as the “adult” - have “known better” and taken a stand against us not dating? Sure. We were at different points in our lives, and despite my physical and mental maturity, at 16, I had no business acting like I was 26 in a “grown up” relationship.

Do I think he was a pedophile? No. Do I feel like I was assaulted in any way? No. I think I just made a bad decision, as did he. But I don’t even feel taken advantage of about that situation either, because at sixteen I was capable of - and did - make my own decisions. And I don’t see that any differently now - 31 years later. To add more depth to the story, I got married at 27 and have been married to the same man for 20 years. I’ve never had a problem with relationships, self-esteem, etc and am very successful professionally.

The only reason I gave all that detail is to say I don’t think my “story” harmed me in any way. I do, realize, however that isn’t always the case. Which is really my point. Just to offer up that I think we need to be very careful in painting every situation with a broad brush. Especially these days of sometimes very retroactive claims where agenda and motive might also come to bear.

I believe in fairness to all parties, the bottom line is that each situation of “older teen/age of consent” needs to be considered, especially once you start talking those stories that happened many years ago. It was a different time. (Such as... my story in my town was not uncommon. I grew up enthralled by the Priscilla and Elvis story for example, as did many girls I knew, and dating a very handsome older “guy” was exciting and often, pursued.)

As a mom, yes, it would make me angry if I had been my daughter but I still still wouldn’t call MY situation “pedophilia.” I do believe whether we like it or not, in some cases, an “age of consent” does matter and come into play. I suppose my point of telling this entire drawn-out version of my story, is I don’t know if every older man who dates / dates an older teen girl deserves to be publicly shamed or convicted of a “sex crime.” And if every older teen who dates/dated/whatever an older “man” (or woman) willingly, is not always a “victim.”

a reply to: MysticPearl

edit on 11-12-2017 by nicevillegrl because: Spelling

edit on 11-12-2017 by nicevillegrl because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-12-2017 by nicevillegrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 06:38 AM
link   

To be honest I think the word 'pedophile' gets used because most people don't understand the technical definitions of a pedophile compared to a hebephile.

And really the latter is usually just a posh name for a creepy old guy who likes teenaged girls.

It's interesting the amount of deflection from people in this thread trying to claim the real problem is with the evil social progressives and lefties, for daring to think that maybe there's a power imbalance between a 30+ year old man actively pursuing children aged 14-17. It makes me suspect there's a bunch of 30+ year old men on this site who wish they could date young teen girls themselves.

I always find the rule of 'Half your age plus 7' being very useful in determining if a relationship is creepy in terms of age differences.

Because the thing is, younger people often feel like they are powerful and accomplished by seducing an older man, almost always a man. But, the older men that pray on younger people know this, and use that as a tool to exploit their victims, and they are almost always victims.

So, yeah, this is why it's socially useful to label this behaviour as 'creepy'.

But yes, probably not useful to label it as pedophilia when it's not pedophilia.

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Age is an inadequate measurement.

The real question is, "How can we measure whether or not a human is emotionally adept enough for sex?"

I say we issue licenses with classes: everyone physically mature enough has to take an emotional aptitude test. If you're caught having sex without a license or with someone who is not within your class then you both get a sentence based on that.

That's a simple cut and dry method, right?

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 08:54 AM
link   

A good measure, in a nation which has some sort of discretion and understanding of psychology, would be the legal age of consent.

In the UK, its sixteen. I think that's a sensible age, given that below it, far too few have any idea what they want for lunch, leave alone what they want in any deeper sense, and older than that age, far too many are so headstrong and willfully belligerent about what they want in ALL respects, that to get in their way would be like sticking a marshmallow wall in front of a tank battalion.

Of course, with any generalised rule, there are going to be exceptions, but only in one respect. There may be those above the legal age of consent, who remain intellectually incompetent to make decisions for themselves as to how they are going to act in any given situation, what they do and do not want, and may remain that way until they are in their dotage.

But there is no excuse or unusual level of advancement, either physical or mental, which makes a young person, less than sixteen years of age, capable of making proper choices about what they do and do not want done with their bodies. I do not care whether a fourteen year old girl or boy has been teaching anatomy to university students since they were eight, I do not care how many exams they pass, or even if they have written a score of scholarly articles and books... There has never been a person who was younger than sixteen, who should have been having intercourse, risking pregnancy, forming that sort of relationship with another human being, regardless of their individual advancement level in any regard.

Why? Because regardless of intellectual or physical advancement, a person can only have had so much EXPERIENCE of life by that age, no more, and no less, regardless of their intelligence or physical attributes, and until that amount of experience has been gained, no person, even blessed with all the information in the world, should be in a position of having to figure their way through the thinking process necessary to work out the right way forward.

I also think there is a certain point at which age gap must be considered. If two people, of sixteen years of age, decide they are in love with one another, and want to get busy, well, thats people being young and dumb, and may have repercussions that neither party are ready for, but thats their lesson to learn. If one person of twenty years age is sniffing around after a person of sixteen though, at that point it might be time to get out the pitchforks and the highly flammable liquids, and have us a damned bonfire.

Now, as the age of the youngest person in a potential pairing increases, the gap between them and a potential partner can increase, WITHOUT things being morally objectionable. It might still be considered strange, unorthodox by some, but none the less, not morally objectionable.

In my estimation, however, the point at which gaps cease to be a problem, is the point at which the youngest person in the pairing is in their mid twenties, not their later teens.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join