It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LA fires proving the need for preventive water bombing

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

You are most welcome! I forgot to include a pix for you

Comparison of Upper Lewis Creek previously treated with prescribed fire. The top photo was taken on July 8, 2015 prior to the Rough Fire. The bottom photo was taken on Sep. 29, 2015 after the Rough Fire came through. Notice the still standing live trees. Photo: NPS/ K.Howard

Fuels Management

Florida, huh? I've driven/flown over the country many times for pleasure not business. As much beauty as I've seen in each state and met great people, I still say I cannot live east of Dallas, not used to humidity higher than Los Angeles. Foreign and too uncomfortable for me....
Controlled burns are harder to do out West, in the low humidity. Los Alamos in NM had that horrible fire in 2000, when a controlled burn got out of hand.

I live in a rural agricultural part of CA, where ag burn (not field burning but gathered organic debris) is allowed on certain days. Rice field burning still occurs I believe in Northern CA. Another problem we have here is air quality, as we have a natural inversion layer that keeps crappy air in the valley, so burning is managed. Also, the more people and cars, the more air pollution will occur. .... Funny story, well, because it didn't happen to me....I have a friend whose husband decided to burn some leaves and trimmings from around their rural home property one day. Well, all was going well until he discovered that the fire had taken off underground in gopher tunnels and came out at his neighbor's wood fence, catching it on fire! Fire dept came out, put out the fire, and the husband got a huge fine.

Actually, I found out, not the hard way, about underground tunnels, when we had a cabin built in the mountains in an old logging area. Our builder friend cautioned us about burning tree stumps, saying that smoldering large tree stumps could end up carrying fire through the old root system to an area a distance away.

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
Curiosity question, does California still do nothing to control the dry under brush? (annual controlled burns for example)

I remember that came out after a bad fire season a decade or so ago, that they stopped doing the control burns for environmental reasons I think, and a few years later they had major fire break out because of all the extra fuel. (timing subject to faulty memory)

I've seen controlled burns in Yosemite and in the Bay Area. When you drive through Yosemite, they will have signs for the controlled burn so that people don't report them. In the Bay Area, the news will publish the controlled burns ahead of time.

I've only seen the Bay Area controlled burns in Marin County. Much of the Bay Area is just grassland, so the fuel is feed for cattle.

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Apropos of fire, the "tourists" around the Nellis range have left all sorts of camp fire rings. A ring of rocks is not enough in the desert. You really need to build a pit. It isn't like there is shortage of rocks! One of the things I keep forgetting to brings and just leave is wire mesh material to put over the fire to keep embers from flying. I had a dust devil decide to fly over my fire once, spreading embers.

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: desert

Again appreciate the information glad to see my information is outdated/wrong.

I grew up in florida, I am back living with my dad to find work before the wife leaves the Air Force in september, we have a renter in our house that pays on time every month.

Figure its better to spend time with my dad and keep my morgage payment payed without adding new bills while I seek employment.

win, and win for me... personally I prefer the flyover states everyone mocks, good people so far and if your willing to drive a bit its actually affordable.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: gariac

Grassland. Yes, what can be easy fuel for fire is often someone's food for cattle. And along the Sierras, ranchers can get grazing permits in the National Forests for their cattle. What's funny is taking a day hike and expecting to see wild animals and then run into a cow or steer happily munching on the lush mountain flora.

You mentioned the desert and the issue of wind. So true. One time we had gone out for a major holiday with a group of friends. They left along with most everyone else out there, but we were fortunate to spend an extra night. The day had been calm, but I woke up late in the night when I heard wind outside. Looking out the window I saw across the desert floor all these tiny fires.... all the campfires that had appeared out when the people left. Crazy.

Vegetation is sparse, but once in a while a good fire can develop. The one I remember happened when we were out in our off-road toy. Not long after we headed out, I looked back and was horrified to see black smoke coming from the area of our rig. I didn't say anything to my husband, as I figured our rig was already a goner and there was nothing we could do. So we just kept on riding. Turned out there had been a fire about a quarter mile away on the other side of the hill, how it started was anybody's guess, but a fire truck from a nearby town came out to put it out.

Here's to more good travels and adventures for you in 2018!

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Definitely win win win!

It's like Flyingclaydisk said, he could write a book on wildland fires. What amazes me are all the resources that can be employed nowadays to fight (manage) wildland fires. Fire science and technology, the various newer aircraft, satellite imagery even. And yet, at the very end, on the ground will still be the men and women to fire the last burn, cut in the last of the containment line. And even before that, restoration crews will have started their work, which can take years.

Calif is not for everyone, no state is. The best thing is for people to be able to live in a geographical place they love, a place they call home. I was born and raised in suburban So Cal but left the craziness 41 years ago. I've lived where I am now for 40 years; it's a place I call home. It's Calif's flyover (or, really, drive fast through) part, but I love it.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: desert

I've walked right up to fire lines in the desert. Due to the lack of infrastructure worth saving, they just let it burn.

The national park land in the Bay Area doesn't get the cattle grazing, hence the fires such as Point Reyes.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Dropping off good news

Current Situation: The fire line from Ventura to Santa Barbara is contained and secure. Even though fuels in the fire area remain critically dry, with shorter days and lack of significant winds, no forward progress of the fire is expected. Firefighters are building upon previous gains by strengthening established containment lines adjacent to communities and other infrastructure. Mop up operations along the fire perimeter and active patrol are ongoing. Repair work is underway to mitigate impacts from fire suppression activity. Firefighting crews and aircraft remain available to address flare-ups or new fire starts in the area.

Smoke seen yesterday near Tule Creek was from a hotspot that flared up well within the interior of the burned area. It posed no threat to nearby fire lines. Hotspots remain in the Bear Heaven area. Air support with water drops 1s being used due to steep, rugged terrain with limited access.

Residents and visitors to Santa Barbara and Ventura counties may see an increase in wildlife in local communities due to displacement from the fire. Individuals who encounter these displaced animals are encouraged to maintain a safe distance, refrain from feeding them, and if a threat to humans is perceived call 911.

bold mine
Inciweb

70% containment, but populated areas secure. 30% left will be in Nat'l Forest.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join