It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists capture mysterious hum from deep inside the Earth - but no one knows what it is

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   
The Hum that has been reported over the years heard or detected by individuals has just gotten a boost by being scientifically detected. I do not know how anyone could hear this hum though as it is totally out of the hearing range of humans.

Scientists have captured a mysterious hum coming from deep inside the Earth, but they are still no closer to working out what it is.

It has long been known that the Earth constantly generates a low-frequency vibrational signal.

The first attempt to detect this hum was made in 1959, but it wasn't until 1998 that scientists finally proved its existence.

Since then, there have been hundreds of attempts to record the Earth's hum, but they have all been made using seismometers on land.

They were finally able to capture the sound using seismoneters deep in the ocean off the coast east of Madagascar, between 2012 and 2013. The linked article has a video if interested.
www.mirror.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Hmm, the Windsor Hum was just reported starting up again too.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Do you have another link? I'm truly sick of 'click bait'.

Not your fault, just saying.

Oh wait? It's 'totally out of the range of hearing for humans'?

*face palm*

Ok, EDIT TO ADD: I'm trying to help you out here...

This is from 2017. Not, 2012-13, whatever.

Sounds like fireworks to me, but I am trying to give you a hand here.

edit on 0244Saturday201713 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

Here is the link to the Paris Institute of Earth Physics
edit on 9-12-2017 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   

onlinelibrary.wiley.com...
Um...sort of.

Here's the current one.
paper
edit on 12/9/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Thorneblood

Thank you - but - how can I hear the 'hum' over the background music?

Seriously?

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   

This is not about the hum you are looking for.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Cool link no doubt, but, no video.

I'm looking now to see if I can find something that isn't from years gone by, and, isn't accompanied by head-banger music.

Thanks all the same.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Could this be one?
October this year...

??? This one gets mighty cool a bit in... But...???
edit on 5549Saturday201713 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I knew a girl who used to hum.....fair dinkum.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   
The hum the earth makes may not be hearable, but it could possibly be converted into a frequency we could hear under some natural conditions like possibly ore bodies or fault lines or something. Even if the layers of rock are different, which is common, it could possibly alter the frequency. It could even be altered by masonry or cement possibly. Size and shape might be involved also in converting it.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Not that I don't agree - but - I want to HEAR IT - or it doesn't count.

Kind of like having seismologists telling ya 'We just had a 3.6 EQ'...

Didn't feel it - didn't happen.

And yesssssssssssss, I know it might have , but, no one cares if it doesn't effect them, they can't feel it, the can't hear it, etc.

Well, for the most part peeps are like that.

Oh - Merry Christmas Mouse!

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   
ITS GODZILLA!!!

on a serious note ive always been curious about these noises people report on. ive heard weird rumblings miyself while laying in bed at night that i can only pickup if my ear is on the pillow or mattress. then we have those reports of strange noises that come from the sky that sound like the sky is being torn apart. i keep thinking it might be a modern phenom but theres reports going backk hundreds of years that are quite similar to what we have being reported today.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: TheScale

Your body makes noises (mine does anyway).

Here's a cool thing:
wattsupwiththat.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: silo13
a reply to: rickymouse

Not that I don't agree - but - I want to HEAR IT - or it doesn't count.

Kind of like having seismologists telling ya 'We just had a 3.6 EQ'...

Didn't feel it - didn't happen.

And yesssssssssssss, I know it might have , but, no one cares if it doesn't effect them, they can't feel it, the can't hear it, etc.

Well, for the most part peeps are like that.

Oh - Merry Christmas Mouse!
Merry Christmas to you too. I have heard a hum in some places, but the places were close to a flooring mill, the rock hills may have been collecting the noise and making a hum out of it that you could hear a mile away. Other than that nothing other than the normal sounds coming out of the old copper mine shafts and shaft vents up in the hills of Hancock. Those sounds bounced off of buildings. It sounds spooky when you got near those vents and shafts. Most were capped about thirty five or more years ago now, so people up there might not even notice them anymore. I used to play around those shafts and we used to go through the fences and toss rocks down them.

Here, in the summer we get humming when it is hot out. I investigated it one day. It was bee nests, the bees were on it flapping their wings to cool the nest. Wasps do the same thing, the sound travels to the porch from some nests that are a hundred feet away in the woods. Kind of cool that the bees and wasps know how to do that.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   

From the source:

Eventually, they were able to determine that the Earth's natural vibration peaks at several frequencies between 2.9 and 4.5 millihertz.

Unfortunately they would have to scale up this frequency by 10,000 times to get it into normal hearing range.

-dex

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 11:13 PM
link   
The Earth is a molten ball with a thin crust, would be surprising if there weren't tones generated from mass moving.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Phage might be on to something. A search provided this.

www.livescience.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 11:26 PM
link   
You would think the best places to hear these booms/sounds/phenomenon would be in places like the Carlsbad Caverns, or other Cave systems.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Those are freight train noises.
Notice the 'rhythm' of them. In a dense construction area like that would mean it would echo throughout the city.
I live near a freight line, and used to build them. You'd be surprised how a fully loaded line can give off a large sound, then give it a few blocks of concrete jungle to echo through. And as for he creepy noises, it's the wheels screeching against the rails. They give off a eerie sound.
When my GF and I first moved into our place she would call me while I was at work for the creepy noise she heard, it was just a fully loaded freight line going by.
edit on 9-12-2017 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join