It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ‘Big One’ California quake next week

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

Better start a new thread if you get that feeling again, what did it feel like?

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

Better start a new thread if you get that feeling again, what did it feel like?

Do you know what a “haboob” is?

It’s a large dust storm common in some desert areas that takes on a very characteristic appearance as it forms.

You can look up images on Google, I imagine.

So, to answer your question, in your mind’s eye picture a massive haboob of black roiling towards you. And a feeling of evil and malice so intense that you could almost believe that you were being hunted as prey by a preditor you can sense but not see.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Do you know what a “haboob” is?
I do. But what always pops into my mind is this. I can't help it.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Groundwater withdrawal in the Central Valley
California has never regulated groundwater withdrawals.
As much as 20 cubic kilometers of Central Valley groundwater may have been pumped out in just the last three years
The missing water wasn’t just holding up the soil, it may have been holding the earth down as well.

A study published in the journal Nature suggested that the more water gets pumped out of the ground in the Central Valley, the greater the chance of earthquakes on the nearby San Andreas Fault.

With less water in the aquifer beneath it to hold it up, the soil throughout the Central Valley is sinking.

Overdrafting of the local aquifer.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: madenusa

A study published in the journal Nature suggested that the more water gets pumped out of the ground in the Central Valley, the greater the chance of earthquakes on the nearby San Andreas Fault.

I don't suppose you have a link?

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Phagepreparingfortheperfectstorm.com...

just ran across it...

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I wish I could relate, but I was a bottle baby.

And it’s time for my next single-malt feeding.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem

originally posted by: Jiggly
good.. hopefully cali falls into the ocean

Why? Do you want me to die?

We live between San Francisco and Sacramento
I think elementalgrove said it best
"I am guessing this is some BS remark, due to your hatred of liberals, but do some reflection and think about the kind of perspective that you are creating"

I think it's misplaced angst. We certainly don't want to lose you...

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: madenusa
Here's the paper:
pdfs.semanticscholar.org...

It does say that extraction of groundwater may cause the San Andreas fault to produce more earthquakes, but it also seems to say it is reducing stress on the fault. So, not the "big one?"

Estimates of total groundwater loss from historical and more recent water level records (around 160 km3; refs 3 and 4) correspond to a reduction in the effective normal stress of 2.7–9.5 kPa for the San Andreas Fault, and a Coulomb stress change of 10–15 kPa at Coalinga, since the beginning of groundwater extraction in 1860. These results suggest that human activity may give rise to a gradual increase in the rate of earthquake occurrence, as suggested by earthquake catalogues in central California .

edit on 12/9/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 10:57 PM
link   

I think California is something like the 9th largest economy in the world. Any major event that significantly damages the California economy would also do so to the rest of the United States.

-dex

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus

originally posted by: visitedbythem

Why? Do you want me to die?

We live between San Francisco and Sacramento
I think elementalgrove said it best
"I am guessing this is some BS remark, due to your hatred of liberals, but do some reflection and think about the kind of perspective that you are creating"

I think it's misplaced angst. We certainly don't want to lose you...

No we don't want to lose her.
This is Grandpa. Little miss stinkum went to bed

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: DexterRiley

I think California is something like the 9th largest economy in the world. Any major event that significantly damages the California economy would also do so to the rest of the United States.

-dex

It’s the 6th Largest economy in the world, currently.

The loss of California would impact the economy of the entire world.

As just a small example: two of the busiest ports in the US are in California. What would even a temporary loss of access to Asia do to the US economy, and to Asia?
edit on 9-12-2017 by Bhadhidar because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-12-2017 by Bhadhidar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable
This is the Dreams and Prediction forum, right? So don’t shoot the messenger. I dreamt and I’m predicting an 8 plus will occur Thursday 12/14 in the SF area.

Exactly how confident are you in your prediction? If you have high confidence about this, let's make it interesting. I will personally donate $10,000 to the relief effort if this happens, but if this disaster doesn't happen, as I suspect it will not, you must donate $100 to a charity of my choosing.

Deal?

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: elementalgrove

originally posted by: Violater1

Like a Sloan valve dumping a loaded toilet.

Another one of these posts!!!

Christ, As a "liberal" I am not the biggest fan of the insane rhetoric coming from the liberal base, but that does not equate to finding humor in the destruction such an event would cause.

These are your fellow human beings, part of freedom allows for people to have differing views, everyone has a purpose, we all came here to learn and California is full of beautiful souls across the political spectrum.

Part of that loaded toilet you describe would also contain people who think and feel exactly as you do, what does that say about yourself?

We came here to learn?

We came here to experience and perhaps learn but none of that matters when the place is hijacked.

Let go..and realize everything can and will be taken from you in EVERY dimension.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 11:26 PM
link   

I hope this is sarcasm!!

If not.....you need to seriously one of the most insensitive human beings I have met!!

You care NOT for any human life, if you don't like CA...then move out of the USA immediately!! 😠

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 11:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: ParasuvO

originally posted by: elementalgrove

originally posted by: Violater1

Like a Sloan valve dumping a loaded toilet.

Another one of these posts!!!

Christ, As a "liberal" I am not the biggest fan of the insane rhetoric coming from the liberal base, but that does not equate to finding humor in the destruction such an event would cause.

These are your fellow human beings, part of freedom allows for people to have differing views, everyone has a purpose, we all came here to learn and California is full of beautiful souls across the political spectrum.

Part of that loaded toilet you describe would also contain people who think and feel exactly as you do, what does that say about yourself?

We came here to learn?

We came here to experience and perhaps learn but none of that matters when the place is hijacked.

Let go..and realize everything can and will be taken from you in EVERY dimension.

Lol I can not ague with letting go or as they say Wu Wei!

Who is the "you" that has everything taken away?

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 12:33 AM
link   

It’s the 6th Largest economy in the world, currently.

I stand corrected. I was just going by memory. But I knew that it was some non-trivial component of the US economy.

Of course California is also home to some of the largest tech sectors in the world. Not to mention the agricultural products they produce to help feed the US. Disabling any of the West Coast ports would significantly decrease our supply of Asian made products that are now absolutely essential to our way of life.

In short, a significant EQ in the LA or SF area would quickly be felt nationwide. And the global economic perturbations would soon follow.

I always chuckle to myself when certain elements of the US population who are disgusted by California's liberalism gleefully cheer the state on when their citizens discuss secession from the US. They simply can't imagine how their lives would change if that became a reality.

-dex

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Jiggly

The usual loser with nothing going for them,so must say sopmething ignorant,liberals no class

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 01:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bhadhidar

originally posted by: DexterRiley

-dex

What would even a temporary loss of access to Asia do to the US economy, and to Asia?

Maybe force us to make more things locally? That would be horrible.

I hope you are wrong for the loss of life ect. But if you want me to feel bad we cant get cheap goods from Asia and have to produce more things here, that's not going to happen.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join