It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN poverty official touring Alabama's Black Belt: 'I haven't seen this' in the First World

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Willtell

Your mistake is to focus on what others have and how you can take it.

Why not focus on how you can help others make their own and do for themselves?

That's too hard!

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's benz.

It's right there in the bible for everyone to read.

But I guess it doesn't count if you don't believe.

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 10:00 AM
link   
The UN said poverty. The trump cult should get a dictionary and look up the meaning. Sick and hungry people don’t have resources. If they were animals, they would be dead by now. Yes, I know that is the preferred answer for certain Americans.

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
a reply to: links234

What? $800 billion on the military annually, half the world's expenditure. $1.5 trillion deficit for tax cuts mainly catered to the top 1% but a blind eye turned on those less fortunate? Something is wrong here and the fact we have a UN Poverty Official touring Alabama is very telling of this.

World's wealthiest nation.

Blind eye? They're completely living off of us. Free housing, cell phones, food, paycheck for nothing sounds great to me. The problem is that it is a generational plague that sweeps these communities. They expect it and want more, more, more! And for free too.

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Somethingsamiss
How many commercials are there to help feed and give clean water to those in third world countries? Why can't we focus at home first. The blackbelt, parts of west Virginia and im sure other communities in the US have this problem. We never hear about them. The federal government sends aide over sea's but god forbid they help their own citizens.

They try, but people complain it's welfare and block the efforts.

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   

However, I should be doing better than someone who flips burgers because I do something most burger flippers can't ... but do I do something valuable enough to support a family by itself? No, just something harder to do than what a burger flipper does.

Why should you be doing better? You're talking about the supply side of the equation but there's also demand. There's a lot of demand for burger flippers.

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker
"Trickle down works". It's called capitalism with lip service to free enterprise. It was there before Reagan and ever since. It is the system of every nation in the world. Period.

Trickle down and capitalism are not the same thing.

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

There are certain areas of America whether under Democrats or Republicans that money never trickles down too. This seems to be one of them.
edit on 11-12-2017 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: liejunkie01

Government didn't kill coal, the market did. There's several competitors these days, some are cheaper, and all are cleaner.

The government has been trying hard to retrain coal miners, the problem is most of Appalachia doesn't want to retrain. They want to go into a mine with a pickaxe and a canary and mine the old fashioned way and that's just not how things are done anymore. There's still coal mining in places like Wyoming with large industrial scale mining, but even then the Appalachian coal miners don't even want to retrain to get a job doing that. They want to work the way their parents and grandparents did, and they refuse anything and everything else.

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
So the system is all ready set up to take away from the rich so how much is fair?

How about proportional to the size of income? If you make 20,000 you pay x% of taxes, if you make 20,000,000 you pay 1000 times more.

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

There are certain areas of America whether under Democrats or Republicans that money never trickles down too. This seems to be one of them.

Trickle down was a concept even when the founders were around, and they all outright rejected it, on all sides of the political spectrum. Back then it was called horse and sparrow economics. The idea was you give a horse all of the oats and it gorges itself, eventually a few of those oats would wind up undigested because there were just so many, and the sparrows would be able to pick through the # to find a few for themselves.

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: nwtrucker
"Trickle down works". It's called capitalism with lip service to free enterprise. It was there before Reagan and ever since. It is the system of every nation in the world. Period.

Trickle down and capitalism are not the same thing.

No, not really. They are, however, part of the overall system which has changed not one whit. Less trickling down? Yep.

That needs to be addressed and I believe it is in progress.

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   

a reply to: liejunkie01

Government didn't kill coal, the market did. There's several competitors these days, some are cheaper, and all are cleaner.

The government has been trying hard to retrain coal miners, the problem is most of Appalachia doesn't want to retrain. They want to go into a mine with a pickaxe and a canary and mine the old fashioned way and that's just not how things are done anymore. There's still coal mining in places like Wyoming with large industrial scale mining, but even then the Appalachian coal miners don't even want to retrain to get a job doing that. They want to work the way their parents and grandparents did, and they refuse anything and everything else.

That is an outright, blatant lie. There is plenty demand for U.S. and Canadian coal.

The restrictions came out of Obama's office. To this day, the left fights exports, no longer on a federal level as they've lost their political power, but on state county and city levels, the fight is ongoing.

Right where I live, the coal has to be shipped into British Columbia for export as every attempt to build a facility here is fought tooth and nail.

Also, why invest in new technology when your whole industry is being fought by a political agenda even 'federalizing' major coal deposits in Utah.( Which Trump is reversing...
)

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   

However, I should be doing better than someone who flips burgers because I do something most burger flippers can't ... but do I do something valuable enough to support a family by itself? No, just something harder to do than what a burger flipper does.

Why should you be doing better? You're talking about the supply side of the equation but there's also demand. There's a lot of demand for burger flippers.

And way more people who can flip than are needed.

Literally anyone of age to be reliable enough to turn up and learn how can flip a burger. How many billions of burger flippers does that leave in the world?

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

Trickle down was a concept even when the founders were around, and they all outright rejected it, on all sides of the political spectrum. Back then it was called horse and sparrow economics. The idea was you give a horse all of the oats and it gorges itself, eventually a few of those oats would wind up undigested because there were just so many, and the sparrows would be able to pick through the # to find a few for themselves.

Prove it! Link where the Founding Fathers said 'trickle down'. Garbage.

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   
why?....
it's Alabama, and the majority of white people in power don't give a s**t about poor black people, the more they get sick and die, the better.......geez, it is simple as that, all the excuses, misinformation, and "what-about's" don't negate that thought process....all one has to do is go live down there in one of the smaller towns of Alabama, and it will become clear.

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx
why?....
it's Alabama, and the majority of white people in power don't give a s**t about poor black people, the more they get sick and die, the better.......geez, it is simple as that, all the excuses, misinformation, and "what-about's" don't negate that thought process....all one has to do is go live down there in one of the smaller towns of Alabama, and it will become clear.

Take race out of your statement and it's more correct.

I.E. "The people in power don't give a ... about poor people."

There are plenty of majority white communities where white people live in poverty with white leadership and vice-versa.

There are racists here, yes, on *both* sides. But Alabama isn't as it is portrayed in the media.

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeepImpactX

originally posted by: zatara
a reply to: links234

When ever I read about the homeless/ poverty in the US there is no american citizen with a comment whichgives a plausible explanation or understanding for such situations. Then I ask myself ..what tf? How come no american citizen does understand that its government allows this to happen... It can not be other than it is the polticians who allow this to happen and are not in service of the US people.

Vey bad things are happening in the US (government).

Who are voted in by the Ameriican people. You answered your own question within the body of the text, yet cannot see the forest through the trees and ended with the government being at fault. As long as people keep voting in the yahoos whom their repective parties endorse, the respective parties being populated by people WE also vote for, nothing will change.

The onus is on the people and a work ethic and money are not needed to fix the foundations of the entire problem. Education is. Educate yourselves on how the system works and vote for the changes you want. People have to care enough for the future generations in order to do this (changes like this will take a few generations to be fully realized) and, sadly, I'm not seeing that characteristic in the poor and uneducated people of America.

In other words, I am seeing nothing that would lead me to believe that the depth of the poverty across the nation is ever going to change.

Get used to it or prove me wrong.

Well, I guess we don't need uneducated broke ass people migrating in and going on welfare then, anymore?

Since 1965, thanks Ted, importing poverty was a great idea!

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

originally posted by: Willtell
How much money do these people need? How many yachts can they buy?

How many planes and houses and race horses do they need?

A modern society needs resources to maintain a modern and technologically forward society.

As our children go without computers and get led poisoned

We buy their products, work for them, WE make them rich—the society they leach off of makes them rich…

They owe the society that gives them the privelage of being wealthy off of the society.

They gave ya the job to buy stuff, that's enough, I'd say.

Aren't rich people needed? Their money is anyway.

If no rich people, there will be no money.

Tell Beyonce she only gets $150 a concert and roadie her own. Or Depp $1000 a film and buy his own pirate hat.

Then again, I really don't hear them bitching about rich people. Must be coz they be rich.

Take Miriah Carey's money, I liked her 1st lp, then she went hip pop.

Oh, Kapernakik, let him empty his bank account for the common good.

Maybe Melania can hire 20 more servants to equal the number Michelle had, people need jobs.

When was the last time some broke ass mofo gave you a decent paying job?

Don't they teach basic hygiene in school anymore?

I have nothing against rich people…

I respect some of them for being entrepreneurs, like many of them, and appreciate Gates and Buffet for giving so much of his wealth to charity.

The issue is that they should pay more taxes. I’m not into confiscating their wealth or communism, but the tax rates should go back to where they were before Reagan.

But to your point rich people and jobs.

Well, when was the last time they got rich without poor people buying their goods, or working in their factories or businesses.

One hand washer the other

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
The UN said poverty. The trump cult should get a dictionary and look up the meaning. Sick and hungry people don’t have resources. If they were animals, they would be dead by now. Yes, I know that is the preferred answer for certain Americans.

I bet they can get a free abortion, tho! Maybe the doc's could help?

Can't vote out the scummy politicians coz ID's cost and no car to get to Bugtussel to get one anyway.

There are no food stamps in them towns? No clinic?

Hard to believe, isn't it?

They should start a go fund me page.

Sorry, that's hard to do when you have no internet and a bad case of lead poisoning.

Where are their fellow man? How do they pay rent?

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

How much money do these people need? How many yachts can they buy?

How many planes and houses and race horses do they need?

A modern society needs resources to maintain a modern and technologically forward society.

As our children go without computers and get led poisoned

We buy their products, work for them, WE make them rich—the society they leach off of makes them rich…

They owe the society that gives them the privelage of being wealthy off of the society.

They gave ya the job to buy stuff, that's enough, I'd say.

Aren't rich people needed? Their money is anyway.

If no rich people, there will be no money.

Tell Beyonce she only gets $150 a concert and roadie her own. Or Depp $1000 a film and buy his own pirate hat.

Then again, I really don't hear them bitching about rich people. Must be coz they be rich.

Take Miriah Carey's money, I liked her 1st lp, then she went hip pop.

Oh, Kapernakik, let him empty his bank account for the common good.

Maybe Melania can hire 20 more servants to equal the number Michelle had, people need jobs.

When was the last time some broke ass mofo gave you a decent paying job?

Don't they teach basic hygiene in school anymore?

I have nothing against rich people…

I respect some of them for being entrepreneurs, like many of them, and appreciate Gates and Buffet for giving so much of his wealth to charity.

The issue is that they should pay more taxes. I’m not into confiscating their wealth or communism, but the tax rates should go back to where they were before Reagan.

But to your point rich people and jobs.

Well, when was the last time they got rich without poor people buying their goods, or working in their factories or businesses.

One hand washer the other

Yes they do wash each other.

Anyone can give the govt more money on April 15th. Nothing is stopping them.

The problem is not that the govt has no money to go around, they have plenty.

It's how the money is spent. Waste and fraud, corruption, and general greed is the problem.

How much is in that sexual hush fund?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join