It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Age discrimination should get more focus than sexual harrassment

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I am not trying to marginalize sexual harassment, its a valid issue that should be addressed and should not be tolerated. But there are millions more people suffering age discrimination in the United States than sexual harassment. It can be devastating, and if you are over 55, statistically your chances of getting a new job are diminished. A lot of companies are practicing it, getting away with it, and NOTHING is being done to fight this. And there are actual laws to supposedly protect people but they are seldom enforced. I wish the mainstream media would focus on THIS issue like they are focusing on the other. There are millions of older people who cant get a job simply by virtue of their age and its a shame. If you are a younger person take note, no one stays young forever and someday you will be affected by this as well, so its a good time to fix it. I welcome any comments on this issue.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   
So it is more important to force companies to employ less productive workers? I'm really not getting the reasoning here

+8 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: onthedownlow

Um excuse me, less productive? Please explain? I work with 3 guys half my age and I run circles around them while they are busy sitting on their asses playing with their smartphones. I would really like to hear why you think older workers are less productive specifically. Don't you really mean more expensive workers? Waiting....

Also I cant wait till you get older and experience your own prejudice.

edit on 9-12-2017 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: openminded2011

So you are having a hard time finding a new job and that is more important than sexual harassment? Employees become less productive as they get older... in fact, I think you would agree that you have become less productive as you have aged, and most logically a larger liability in the workplace. I am less productive than I was 15-20 years ago, regardless that my work ethic and physical ability make me a better worker than most.

ETA- it sounds like you are touting your age as a disability and you are concerned that it doesn't get more recognition. Why would an employer want any part of that?
edit on 9-12-2017 by onthedownlow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Don't get me wrong, age discrimination is very real and I know it can have a damaging effect on career prospects however sexual harassment can be much more damaging to a individual outside of their career.

The fundamental problem I have with your thread is this; harassment and discrimination are not the same, if you were to talk about sexual discrimination and age discrimination then I would agree you have a point however sexual harassment can be far more damaging. It can happen at any age, have deep psychological effects of the victim and in extreme cases can lead to sexual assault, its hardly the same as not being given a job because of your age.

EDIT:

Another thought.

Age discrimination depends I think very much on the industry, some employers will actively seek out older employees over younger employees and vice versa depending on the nature of the job. So it goes both ways.
edit on 9-12-2017 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Hi,

I'm not sure it's right to say that it should garner more attention than (genuine) sexual harassment/discrimination but i agree it should receive more attention in general.

Here in the UK we have systematic age discrimination and it's not only the older end who suffer.

In the UK, if you are a young person you are not entitled to certain benefits that are available to others who are older. For example;

1) housing benefit (paid to help those who are unable to pay for accommodation due to low income/ill health) is not payable to anyone under the age of 21 (aside from special circumstances) and at a significantly reduced rate under 25 and 35. So, if you're under 21 you don't need to live in a house? If you're under 25 your landlord will charge you less?

Basically the government is mandating that 21 and under must live at home with their parents. However, the most vulnerable e.g. care leavers etc will most likely not have this option. They may be MORE in need of help with housing, particularly because

2) Young people are paid a lower minimum wage. Therefore more likely to struggle with paying for housing. Perhaps I could understand it in a profession where tonnes of experience matters e.g. a carpenter who has been working for only a year will produce less quality products than one who has been working for 10 years. However, minimum wage jobs tend to be unskilled and, therefore, there is no justification for paying less simply because they're younger/less experienced.

The above are examples of systematic age discrimination. However, nobody seems to care about these issues and they are just generally accepted.

So, yeah, I think there is an issue with age discrimination and it really doesn't get much attention.

Sorry if the above is a bit disjointed but I'm writing this here and there whilst at work.

edit on 9-12-2017 by Indrasweb because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Is it discriminatory to assume you're old, because of this post?

Is it discriminatory to assume you're a dude, since you put this concern above sexual discrimination?

I'd love to hear if you are a trans tween millennial that does aid work in South America or something.

Please, do share, how your stance is neutral And unbiased.

Gene Wilder as Mr. Wonka is listening intently.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: openminded2011

Waiting....

You assume to much. I have no prejudice against the elderly... you don't even know my age. You made a rediculous statement and I answered it logically

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   

I have a job, am not looking for one. But people my age who are looking are having a much harder time than they should. And The assertion that older workers are less productive is NONSENSE. That's a cop out excuse that companies use to get rid of older usually higher paid workers. I have supervised a lot of younger workers and their productivity varies, some are productive as older workers, some are less productive, but I haven't seen too many who are more productive than older workers.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: onthedownlow

Waiting....

You assume to much. I have no prejudice against the elderly... you don't even know my age. You made a rediculous

statement and I answered it logically

No, you answered it with a generality. I don't know your age, but I don't agree with your statement that older workers are less productive. Lets leave it at that.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   

I have a job, am not looking for one. But people my age who are looking are having a much harder time than they should. And The assertion that older workers are less productive is NONSENSE. That's a cop out excuse that companies use to get rid of older usually higher paid workers. I have supervised a lot of younger workers and their productivity varies, some are productive as older workers, some are less productive, but I haven't seen too many who are more productive than older workers.

That is very subjective to your own experience.

I can tell you right now I have worked with people who have been working for 20 years in the same post who are the most lazy people out there and younger keen workers who will put in a hard days graft. If someone is lazy and not putting in a good days work they are just lazy (or laid back types) who will pretty much always be that way regardless of their age.

Actually are you not guilty of age discrimination by this very post by essentially claiming that older workers are harder more productive workers in general???

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   

most older workers are less productive...... not all, but most are.
most that i work with only want to finish up their time until they retire. leaving a bulk of the work for everyone else to pick up.

it's those workers that make it tough for the hard working older workers trying to put in an honest days work.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Archivalist

My stance is not unbiased. I see this as a bigger issue as its far more widespread than sexual harassment yet receives no attention. I am not diminishing the gravity of sexual harassment, its a serious issue. Yes, I am a dude, with two daughter, so I DO think sexual harassment is important, however, I think other things, such as age discrimination are at least as important but receive no attention.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I think it would be stupid not to consider an applicant's age.

An employer should be able to decide what age group it's looking for.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   

My stance is not unbiased. I see this as a bigger issue than sexual harassment that receives no attention.

Again harassment and discrimination.

Apples and oranges.

Real sexual harassment is way worse than actual age discrimination even if you take them both to the extreme.

If you want to talk about sexual discrimination vs age discrimination then thats a whole different thread.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlowNail

So let me ask you then, should they also be able to consider the persons skin color or sex? I suppose they should right?

Except its illegal.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   

I dunno... there's some cases where it might be a consideration depending on the duties involved.

However:

* I think it would be stupid not to consider an applicant's gender.
An employer should should be able to decide what gender they're looking for.

* I think it would be stupid not to consider an applicant's ethnicity.
An employer should be able to decide what ethnicity they're looking for.

Do either of those sit right with you?

ETA: Ahh.. sorry.. I see the point was already made above my post.
edit on 9-12-2017 by Indrasweb because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Except its illegal.

Actually in the UK there are a number of exemptions to discrimination based on age, some of them include employment.

So it depends very much on the specific job.

Like everything so far on this thread you are generalising too much.

I am curious though, have you recently lost out on a promotion or new job to a younger man?

(post by Dudemo5 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   

They should be able to reject an application for whatever reason they like.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join