It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
The Department of Health of the Philippines will file charges against and demand refund from French pharmaceutical giant Sanofi Pasteur, the maker of the world’s first dengue vaccine, Dengvaxia, The Manila Times Online reported on Friday (Dec 8).
Health Secretary Francisco Duque 3rd said on Thursday they will sue Sanofi over the deaths and illness allegedly caused to mostly children who were inoculated with the vaccine against dengue fever.
The company earlier warned that the vaccine might cause severe dengue on those without prior infection.
“Dengvaxia provides persistent protective benefits against dengue fever in those who had prior infection. For those not previously infected by dengue virus, however…more cases of severe disease could occur following vaccination upon a subsequent dengue infection,”
A total of 491,990 9-year-old students were vaccinated in the first phase, under then Health Secretary Janette Garin.
Of that number, 415,681 turned up for the second phase, which by then was implemented by Garin’s successor, Secretary Paulyn Ubial.
Data is still being collated to determine how many school children completed the third and final round of vaccinations
None of the children were ever tested to determine if they had been previously infected with the dengue virus.
“It means some of them will develop severe dengue, we don’t know who,” said Independent Health Advocate Dr. Anthony Leachon.
“All of them will have to live with this possibility for the rest of their lives.”
Did the government ignore the warnings? Did those who inoculated the children?
On one side of this coin I hate to hear the vaccine is causing deaths and bad side effects. On the other side though I hope they sue them for enough to get their attention so that this kind of stuff does not happen again.