It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FULL Retro (Easy)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 05:58 PM
link   
So I been doing retro gaming for years now, about 12 actually. Been using all sorts of emulators and such. Recently I discovered a small computing device called a Raspberry pi. It is a small (very small) PC that runs on linux distro's. Or for what I needed for retro gaming was a program called retropie.

I discovered that running retropie on my Raspberry Pi 3 b I could run all kinds of emulators on it. Initializing images on small SD cards.

Here is my original RPI 3b build in my first case.

So after understanding the whole concept of making images and also downloading pre-made images for retropie I wanted to go further even.
What I discovered was this retro Nintendo case for the RPI that is called a Nespicase. (NES + PI). I also purchased a dual fan setup.

Here it is with the hood off. Yummy huh?

Here it is all button downed.

Here it is with the front panel opened up to access the other two usb ports and the ethernet port.

So what you got with the raspberry pi 3b is:

SoC: Broadcom BCM2837
CPU: 4× ARM Cortex-A53, 1.2GHz
GPU: Broadcom VideoCore IV
RAM: 1GB LPDDR2 (900 MHz)
Networking: 10/100 Ethernet, 2.4GHz 802.11n wireless
Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.1 Classic, Bluetooth Low Energy
Storage: microSD
GPIO: 40-pin header, populated
Ports: HDMI, 3.5mm analogue audio-video jack, 4× USB 2.0, Ethernet, Camera Serial Interface (CSI), Display Serial Interface (DSI)

So what you end up with is a mini game retro console that you built yourself with thousands of retro games. Some images contain over 10,000 games.

Here is a example of what a game image looks like.

edit on 12 8 17 by Tophat21 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12 8 17 by Tophat21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   
That is kool and powerful mini retro gaming unit, jelly I want one

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: aliensanonymous
That is kool and powerful mini retro gaming unit, jelly I want one
Very easy and very affordable too. The board itself is about $35 US.

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Tophat21

My buddy just built one of these for his kid, minus the sweet NES case.

I want one! Very nice work.

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Rasberry Pi 3 model b starter kit

This kit is $139.00 Aus d. Is it worth buying the hole kit? I can not believe how cheap small and efficient they are wow.

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Rasberry Pi 3 model b starter kit

This kit is $139.00 Aus d. Is it worth buying the hole kit? I can not believe how cheap small and efficient they are wow.
Go on walmart or amazon. That kit you posted is way off, it's a developer kit. Look for keywords like cana kit.
Basically build your own kit and buy things separately. Or just youtube what you reall need. Keyword ( raspberry pi retro pie build) or something like that.

Please learn before you buy. It's much cheaper!!!!!

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Here's a random video that explains the setup.

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Again this is a learning curve for most. The retropie learning video is not mine. I just included it to show what is involved in the longrun. Using a "build" and a sd card with a preload makes things less stressful. Myself i enjoy the the building part.

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Awesome thank you muchly for the advice. It is amazing the multitude of functions/applications such a little processor can do. To kool.

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Awesome thank you muchly for the advice. It is amazing the multitude of functions/applications such a little processor can do. To kool.
Not just a retro gaming mini console; it's also a media center at a swap of a card and boot. Heck you could put a card in to boot the RPI into a bot skull if you wanted to. There are so many possibilities with the board.

If people ever wanted real tools for hi tech. Get this board.

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Thats pretty wicked man

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 12:58 AM
link   
If you ever happen to stumble upon an old
Robotron 2084 arcade unit(they are rare), look at the high score initials.
If it says "ASS," that was me.
I used to smash at that game.
Damn, I'm getting old.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I NEED THAT CASE!!!!!

brb, going over to Amazon for a min.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 08:40 AM
link   
That's pretty awesome my friend thanks for showcasing your build! Now down to business how much to make one for me

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Thanks for making me aware of this, I got some searching to do now

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
That's pretty awesome my friend thanks for showcasing your build! Now down to business how much to make one for me

You could build one for About $90- 100 all together. That includes board, case, 32 gb micro sd card, power supply, hdmi cable.
edit on 12 9 17 by Tophat21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Spent hours this morning reading and watching videos on different builds and uses, so simple and so versatile. Thinking of seing if my nieces would be intrested in them for christmas. Great learning tool with Adafruit and many more great things for kids.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Spent hours this morning reading and watching videos on different builds and uses, so simple and so versatile. Thinking of seing if my nieces would be intrested in them for christmas. Great learning tool with Adafruit and many more great things for kids.
Yes great for kids to learn. There is this Kano system for kids or even adults to learn code. All that is needed is a mini keyboard with touchpad and you are ready to go.

Here's my keypad.

And my prismatic controller.

edit on 12 9 17 by Tophat21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
Thats pretty wicked man
Thanks. Fun too.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Balans
Thanks for making me aware of this, I got some searching to do now
Try sites like retropie, github for info on builds and coding. There are also retropie facebook groups that have decent people who will help answer questions.
Plus there are tons of youtube videos out there.
It's fun to actually have this as my main hobby right now.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join