It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Somebody Tried to Share Hacked Emails With Don Jr, Others... Maybe

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   
CNN is reporting (clearly with a congressional leak) that there was a possible effort to share hacked emails with the Trump campaign.

Exclusive: Email shows effort to give Trump campaign WikiLeaks documents

Washington (CNN)Candidate Donald Trump, his son Donald Trump Jr. and others in the Trump Organization received an email in September 2016 offering a decryption key and website address for hacked WikiLeaks documents, according to an email provided to congressional investigators.

The September 4 email was sent during the final stretch of the 2016 presidential race -- on the same day that Trump Jr. first tweeted about WikiLeaks and Clinton.

Congressional investigators are trying to ascertain whether the individual who sent the September email is legitimate and whether it shows additional efforts by WikiLeaks to connect with Trump's son and others on the Trump campaign. The email also indicated that the Trump campaign could access records from former Secretary of State Colin Powell, whose hacked emails were made public by a Russian front group 10 days later.

The email, which was described to CNN by multiple sources and verified by Trump Jr.'s attorney, came from someone who listed his name as "Mike Erickson." It was addressed to Trump, Trump Jr., Trump Jr.'s personal assistant and others, and turned over to Congress as part of the documents provided by the Trump Organization

So we know this email was sent as it's been confirmed. These parts are also interesting:

The individual was able to obtain the email addresses for Trump Jr. and his personal assistant, as well as an email that congressional investigators believe was for then-candidate Trump, although he rarely uses email.

"We understand that the media reported 12 hours prior to this email that the DNC emails had been hacked or leaked," Futerfas said. "We do not know who Mike Erickson is. We have no idea who he is. We never responded to the email."

The article also cites a tweet from Don Jr on September 4th where he tweets a link to a Gateway Pundit article (WIKILEAKS: Hillary Clinton Sent THOUSANDS of Classified Cables Marked "(C)" for Confidential).

First things first, even though the timing seems interesting, the tweet is basically irrelevant. The GP article isn't about hacked emails despite the title, it's actually about emails released by the FBI which WikiLeaks was promoting on Twitter.

The next thing that occurs to me is that about a week and a half after this is when the Colin Powell emails were released (Sept 13th is the earliest reporting). Those emails were shared with reporters prior to being made available to the pubic. Reporters were given passwords to access those emails at archives on "DC Leaks" if you'll recall.

I don't know that the public at large was aware of the emails on the 4th as Futerfas asserts. In fact, I'm pretty sure they did not know about them until BuzzFeed and The Intercept published their stories on the 13th. I believe he's actually talking about The Gateway Pundit post ironically enough, which as I said, has nothing to do with hacked emails.

The fact that some of these harder to find emails could indicate something if they weren't published. (e.g. the address were themselves obtained through a hack).

Futerfas is saying that the email wasn't seen much less opened. There's no details about the site they were directed to. Putting it all together, at this point I think there are two scenarios most likely:

1. It was a legitimate offer from *whoever* obtained the emails published through "DC Leaks" (which has been tied to Russian intelligence). I know it was used by "Guccifer 2.0" but without refreshing my memory, I don't remember off hand if "Guccifer 2.0" claimed responsibility for Colin Powell's emails.

We also know that "Guccifer 2.0" provided Roger Stone and at least one other person with stolen files from the DCCC in a similar manner.

2. It was itself an attempted attack against the Trump campaign, using the purported emails as bait in an attempt to have campaign members go to the site for a drive by or to get them to otherwise install malware.

And again, as much disdain as I have long held for Assange as a person and as much as I believe that WikiLeaks published emails that were obtained by hackers in the employ of Russian intelligence, I don't see a direct link here to WikiLeaks except that it could be argued that there's a potential common source. (remember "Guccifer 2.0" took credit for the DNC emails published by WikiLeaks)
edit on 2017-12-8 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I might read your thread... maybe.

After I knock back some eggnog.

+17 more 
posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Wall of text with nothing of value in it. You're slipping Ante. This year showed me that everytime something damning comes from CNN it turns out to be a dud after a few hours. I kinda like this double standard thing. Remember only CNN is supposed to read Wikileaks emails and tells you what is in it. HAHAHAHAHA CNN Fake News!

edit on 8-12-2017 by Perfectenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Perfectenemy

Wall of text with nothing of value in it. You're slipping Ante. This year showed me that everytime something damning comes from CNN it turns out to be a dud after a few hours. I kinda like this double standard thing. Remebmer only CNN is supposed to read Wikileaks emails and tells you what was in it. HAHAHAHAHA CNN Fake News!

Everything is a "wall of text with nothing of value in it" when you're a useful idiot with the attention span of a toddler. Do you think that you add some of value to a discussion with kneejerk replies made without even reading the the OP?

Run along.

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Wall of text with nothing of value in it. You're slipping Ante. This year showed me that everytime something damning comes from CNN it turns out to be a dud after a few hours. I kinda like this double standard thing. Remebmer only CNN is supposed to read Wikileaks emails and tells you what was in it. HAHAHAHAHA CNN Fake News!

Everything is a "wall of text with nothing of value in it" when you're a useful idiot with the attention span of a toddler. Do you think that you add some of value to a discussion with kneejerk replies made without even reading the the OP?

Run along.

Bare with them. Members of cult 45 only read memes.
Everything longer than 5-10 words is a wall of text

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Run along.

I read the OP but at least for me it's nothing new. Probably because /pol already discussed this months ago. Who hasn't read the Wikileaks emails? I did as well. The juicy parts at least.

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   

I may have read it all wrong but you missed number three.
*someone* from Intel was trying to set him up so they could use it as "proof", later on, that there was Russian involvement?

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: ErrorErrorError

Run along.

Bare with them. Members of cult 45 only read memes.
Everything longer than 5-10 words is a wall of text

You lost me at "Members" ROLFCOPTER, thats what she said... Forever 45!!!

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Run along.

Sorry to tell you this but there is not much to discuss. Your whole OP hinges on assumptions and your headline has a maybe in it. What did you expect?

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

What's wrong with Colt 45?

Oh, right, I see now.

I'm a bit slow tonight.

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   

CNN is reporting (clearly with a congressional leak) that there was a possible effort

I lost interest right there...

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Looks like CNN is digging up old graves to save face.

This is old "news"

JA

edit on Dec-08-2017 by xuenchen because: +++ ++ + - -- ---

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

CNN is reporting (clearly with a congressional leak) that there was a possible effort

I lost interest right there...

Lost me at the title. "Maybe"? That means speculation. Better suited to Skunkworks.

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Tulpa

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

That guy is definitely CIA.

Really liked his suit.
edit on 8-12-2017 by Tulpa because: and again

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   
On September 13th, three things happened that seem clearly related to this:

* BuzzFeed publishes their first story based on the material made available to them through DC Leaks.

* The Intercept publishes their first story based on material made available to them through DC Leaks.

* An archive of files reportedly stolen from the DNC was released through a "representative" of "Guccifer 2.0" at the Future of Cyber Security Europe conference in London.

That same day, WikiLeaks also promoted the same archive on Twitter but it looks like they were tweeting sometime after the info was already circulating.

The Sept 4th email makes reference to both DNC and Colin Powell documents. Nine days later, DNC docs were released by "Guccifer 2.0" and the first reporting was done on Colin Powell emails which were provided through DC Leaks.

We also know that on Sept 9th, Roger Stone was provided with (and he actually opened it up and looked at it) an archive by Guccifer 2.0 who he was in contact with on Twitter:

So it looks to me like this was probably a legitimate attempt to share at the time, undisclosed stolen documents with the Trump team.

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Yeah, to be fair. I wouldn't have even clicked on it if it didn't have the maybe.

Classic troll thread. Well played Ante, bored were we?

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Also, Guccifer 2.0's links to DC Leaks can be substantiated by his use of the site to host archives he directed reporters to in private emails in late June.

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   

You've just posted Trump's political strategy. It's hardly a secret is it? The media call it populist. I call it being proud of your country and it's people.
edit on 8-12-2017 by Wide-Eyes because: Grammar

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

No, "maybe" in the thread title means that there's some unknowns and I didn't want to be too definitive without doing some background.

Thanks for jumping on the dog pile with the useful idiots though.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join