It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video shows police killing of Daniel Shaver in Mesa, Arizona (viewer discretion advised)

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cornczech
SO, my husband and I have been watching this cop's trial on YouTube.....it was watching the trail that we discovered that it was NOT the cop who shot the unarmed man who was screaming the orders, it was his sergeant (or his "boss"). We also learned that the cop's father is a retired Mesa policeman and, (I know people will scream about this, but I lived 10 years in Salt Lake City, Utah when it was primarily a Mormon city), this man is a Mormon in a very Mormon city, (Mesa).
He was released on his OWN recognizance in spite of the widow's lawyer BEGGING the judge to at least set bond. None was set. The state's attorney SUCKED...and I mean she was REALLY unorganized and a BAD lawyer......MANY things we learned watching the actual trial (boring.....but fascinating in that we garnered a LOT more information). He said that shooting the AR-15 was SAFER in a motel because the ammunition doesn't go through the body, but "shatters: inside the body.
The cop was arrogant on the stand and constantly was showing this arrogance towards the State's attorney.
I live in Gold Canyon, not too far from Mesa......this IS the wild, wild West and cops RULE the roost out here.....the laws are draconian in this state and LEO's are KINGS and can do NO wrong out here.....PERIOD.

The other cops could have come up to that man as he was in that position of being on his knees with his legs crossed and arms out in front of him on the floor....and they could have cuffed him. The man was DRUNK.....some movements, especially when drunk, are automatic....like pulling up your pants when they are about to be pulled off....NONE of us would think that we would be MURDERED by cops.....NONE of us would think that if we were drunk......

Watch the trial on YouTube......

a reply to: notsure1

Great Post
You can clearly see his underwear slipping down in the video and if I can see it so can the officers.
That being the case, they knew he had no gun there, how do you hide a gun in underwear?

The shooter was itching to put a notch on his weapon.
Oh well, fortunately he will have to answer for it in this life and the next.
I truly believe that.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   
/
edit on 10-12-2017 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

originally posted by: Cornczech
the man TRIED to follow the LOUSY instructions given by a SCREAMING cop......the man who was shot was DRUNK.....listen carefully to the instructions and tell me you wouldn't have gotten confused.....

There used to be a time when the police were NOT armed like the military....remember the days of tasers?

what happened to non-violent means to subdue suspects?

>a reply to: UKTruth

I guess they disappeared when people started marching and chanting "pigs in a blanket, fry 'em like bacon" and cops came under ambush from radicals.
It's the people that have created the environment, not the state.
I fully understand cops ensuring their own lives are protected in the climate that has been created by these radicals. They have families to go home to as well.

No, this was created by the state.
First they gave them a bunch of free surplus military goods and then they indoctrinated them about the "war on terror" and how the war starts with our own citizens.

It was a carrot and stick approach.
Here is your free goodies, now listen to our propaganda how citizens are your enemy.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

originally posted by: daskakik
a reply to: Xcathdra

EF that, the guy wept and begged.

He would have done anything but the impossible. Apparently, that is what they asked him to do, to feel safe themselves.

Catch 22.

It is not a catch 22. How hard is it to follow directions to not move your hands?

Ever heard of an automatic response? I was trained to be a surgical technologist. During this training, I had to learn to ignore basic functions like scratching my nose if it itched. It took PRACTICE to not reach up with my "sterile" gloved hands and scratch my nose if it itched.......this man was DRUNK......his pants were falling off from being forced to CRAWL ON HIS KNEES...he was SOBBING and had an AUTOMATIC WEAPON pointed at him....perfect conditions to be very anxious.......and pulling up one's pants to keep them from being pulled off is an AUTOMATIC RESPONSE...maybe he had no underwear on......he was DRUNK and TERRIFIED....have YOU ever been this terrified before?

NO EXCUSE....this man was ITCHING to get a kill........NO cop should EVER have a military grade weapon....AND CERTAINLY not one that has "you're F-ed" etched on it........what kind of an ATTITUDE it THIS from a cop?
There IS no longer serve and protect in the police of today.....when you militarize law enforcement and then hire ex military to man your police force......THIS is the kind of response society gets.......

edit on 12/10/2017 by Cornczech because: stoned? (not really...just retarded)

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: keenmachine

a reply to: purplemer

You cant claim he was not a threat. At the time he was considered armed.

You did not know he was unarmed until the media reported it - after the fact.

Also I am not giving you / making an excuse. I am giving you the facts.

Then answer me a question, why was he not checked for weapons while on the ground and not moving? The cop already knew that this guy was messing up, begging not to be shot, crying and possibly intoxicated. Why make him cross his legs, put up his arms and crawl and tell him that if falls he better fall on his face? Under these circumstances I know alot of people who would have freaked being told they were gonna be shot with any wrong move.Why have this dance and allow a cop with this type of attitude and You're fuc@ked inscripted on his gun, to gun down a man who has trouble with instructions under extreme pressure. What point in this video did you think this guy crying, begging for his life is gonna go for a gun?

That is what they were leading up to when the guy opted to move his hands back down towards his waistband. The cop also kept telling him over and over what to do and what not to do. The guy opted to ignore that and make a move that was a direct threat.

Why is it so hard to follow directions and not move your hands?

When it comes to a call where a firearm is involved and not immediately located you bet your ass the use of deadly force moves towards the front of the line with the people you are dealing with.

Tell me - how many warnings should a person get before they are perceived as a deadly threat?

In case you are unaware a person who is incapable of following instructions can still be armed and can still kill a person.

Crying and begging for his life does not mean he is not going to try and kill the cops or anyone else who might stumble along.

Unless your going for the argument that suspects never lie to the police and would never to anything to harm them.

Yes - I have seen suspects act like a victim in an effort to draw the officer into a false sense of security in an effort to get their guard down before attacking them with the intent to kill them.

You guys are certainly entitled to your opinion in this case however the law, the prosecuting attorney and a grand jury dont agree with your views on this one.

I guess being a human being and can't imagine having an attitude of this cop to inscribe "You're Fu3ked" on a gun I would have seen this guys confusion as I barked different commands out, even conflicting ones and I would have told him to lay back down hands up and had my partner frisk him to see if he actually had a weapon and then cuff him. Then he wouldn't have to die pulling up his pants. But no this cop had to be Billy Bad Ass scream at the guy make him do different tasks even though he was messing up already. even though he was in tears saying please don't shoot me. i wouldn't scream at him as if I knew he was already a criminal and would use situational awareness to know that if I made him do these tasks in the state of mind he seemed to be in, he would probably screw it up. Then I wouldn't have to shoot this poor guy for fear of my life. Remember he was already on the floor, hands outstretched, unable to reach for anything without it being obvious. Yeah I know I would be a terrible cop, I couldn't treat citizens like scum before I even knew who did what.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   
You're from the UK...WTF do YOU know about the situation of law enforcement and "justice" in America?

And YOU used the word: radicals....not everybody in the US is a RADICAL....and in the state of Arizona, there are not too many people marching around screaming, "death to pigs"......I live in this state and this is the REAL Wild wild West.....cops here have attitudes........BAD ones.......

and I al ALSO reply to your remark about how EASY it is to crawl on your knees with your legs crossed and hands up in the air...WHILE DRUNK.....YOU try it drunk...and video tape it for all of us to see........

a reply to: UKTruth

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I apologize if this has been brought up in the thread and I missed it, but can law enforcement types chime in on this: why did the officer shoot five times? Is there a reason he couldn't just take one shot at him to disable him instead of pumping 5 shots at once into the guy?

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Cornczech

Apparently, more than you do.
..and yes it is easier to shuffle on knees with hands in the air than it is to walk when drunk. This is because you have more points of contact with the ground. There is also no reflex reaction when losing balance that would cause you to put one hand behind your back when crawling forward. The guy is dead because he was too stupid to follow instructions and the officer made the right call.

If you don't see how cops would be less forgiving in an environment where people (radicals) are calling for their deaths and where incidents like Dallas are so recent, then you're doomed to ignorance.

edit on 10/12/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   

At what point would the officer be justified in shooting.. when a gun had been drawn and the bullet on the way towards him??? Every time something like this happens procedures are in place to investigate and determine whether the officer used deadly force in a manner appropriate to the statutes they must abide by. In this case, the officer followed the law. The ONLY person to blame for the victims' death is the victim himself, not the state or the officer.

Thats absurd...

how can you ask such a leading question. There was no gun to be drawn. The man is on the floor you can see his hand and you have a gun drawn.. If there is no evidence to shoot. you should not

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer

At what point would the officer be justified in shooting.. when a gun had been drawn and the bullet on the way towards him??? Every time something like this happens procedures are in place to investigate and determine whether the officer used deadly force in a manner appropriate to the statutes they must abide by. In this case, the officer followed the law. The ONLY person to blame for the victims' death is the victim himself, not the state or the officer.

Thats absurd...

how can you ask such a leading question. There was no gun to be drawn. The man is on the floor you can see his hand and you have a gun drawn.. If there is no evidence to shoot. you should not

Watch the video earlier in this thread - guy with his hands in his pockets, no gun in sight. The officer nearly lost his life having been shot several times.

There was no way to know that the guy who was shot in this case did not have a gun tucked into his trousers behind his back.

The question remains - at what point is it ok for an officer to shoot? When he can SEE the gun? You are talking about a split second and no guarantee that you won't take a bullet. It is beyond foolish to reach behind your back in that situation.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   

I've watched the video several times and it gets harder to watch every time. He seems to try and pull his trousers up, but the moment he was shot by a panicking imbecile his hand was empty and on the floor. No threat.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

better yet why not assess the situation while the suspects are on the floor. A little conversation would have went a long way in this instance. A little conversation would have revealed it was a pellet gun and where it was located. You can't tell me the way it was handled was the best way. A man's life was taken because of the way it was handled. No one has answered why they couldn't be frisked while they were on the ground while the other cop covered. Did cops always fire when anyone's hands were out of sight or near their waist? I don't remember this happening as often 20 years ago. Why has so much changed about how cops handle these situations?

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

But it's equally possible that his conscience got to him and he said "well that didn't go great so I think I'm gonna go where the women love white American males."

Haha, touché. He certainly wouldn’t be the first to make such a move

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: dan121212
a reply to: keenmachine

if this happens to me ill just stay on the floor hands and legs out and not fu)king move, what can they do?

My husband said to me.....that it is still considered "resisting arrest" if you just lie there and not move......(though, resisting arrest is better than being shot by an AR-15 with ammunition that "scatters" inside the body, (thus "appropriate" to use in a motel "safely". My husband and I heard this from the cop during his trial. It is available on YouTube).

I will be haunted by watching this video for many reasons....one very personal: I had an encounter with a deputy, and he was aggressive from the moment of our encounter.....and he had a shaved head, very large weapons available to and on him....and though my incident wasn't any big deal....certainly not a situation like the one in Mesa.....but I was TERRIFIED of this cop and I have two serious health conditions that effect (affect?): epilepsy and PTSD.......my behavior and could make me seem erratic or "drunk" and I CERTAINLY wouldn't be able to follow instructions like those given by that sergeant....(or whatever the young cop's boss is called). People on this board have been talking about how they didn't know for sure if this kid had a gun or not....well the COPS didn't know if this kid had any health conditions.....if he was mentally ill, (maybe he had just come back from serving his country too....like that young cop had just done.....he was only with the department for 2 years and had done a tour in Afghanistan.) Maybe he had PTSD.....the man was BEGGING and CRYING and OBVIOUSLY confused....the screaming cop...he shouldn't have been so angry and HE was the one NOT listening...to the cue this poor man who was shot, was giving....he was obviously trying to COMMUNICATE that he was TRYING to comply......

the more I think about, read about or hear about this shooting, the more I am worried about the state of our country....when there IS NO justice.....I was taught from a very young age that one was INNOCENT until proven GUILY....more and more often in this country, one is AUTOMATICALLY guilty....even if a report is given by an unreliable source.....it was automatically assumed that this boy, this 23 year old father of two, was GUILTY and therefor he MUST HAVE HAD A GUN......the cop was trigger happy because for one, he had been in a REAL scary situation: war.....and TWO....he is UNTOUCHABLE as a law enforcement officer........it is no longer policeman....is is law ENFORCEMENT officer......

On a final note I want to add that we are ALL HUMAN and we ALL have unique things about us that make us react to things differently....see things differently....have a totally different reality than any other human on the planet......so if we, as humans, want to survive in a PEACEFUL world.....we need to get back to understanding this basic concept.....but sadly, I think we are too far lost

edit on 12/10/2017 by Cornczech because: retarded

edit on 12/10/2017 by Cornczech because: ugh

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Apparently, more than you do.
..and yes it is easier to shuffle on knees with hands in the air than it is to walk when drunk. This is because you have more points of contact with the ground. There is also no reflex reaction when losing balance that would cause you to put one hand behind your back when crawling forward. The guy is dead because he was too stupid to follow instructions and the officer made the right call.

If you don't see how cops would be less forgiving in an environment where people (radicals) are calling for their deaths and where incidents like Dallas are so recent, then you're doomed to ignorance.

whatever.....you get drunk.....cross your legs behind your back in the manner in which he was asked...(and you won't have the added pressure of guns pointed at you and a loud voice screaming death threats at you....), get on your knees with your hands up and crawl without falling on your "ignorant" face...

and you are doomed, my dear, to a bleak life of unrealistic Blacks or white thinking....there is a REAL world of humans and COMMUNICATION...those cops could have actually done a little "listening" on their own......the man was SOBBING...YOU have no compassion....and I would rather be "ignorant" than without empathy for my fellow man.

post the video of YOU crawling on your knees in that manner and DRUNK, Sugar.....I dare ya....

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Ah, I see... he was sobbing so the cop should have risked his life. Feelz.
I guess that could be a new tactic - just cry a little to buy some time before shooting a cop dead. Brilliant.
Regardless of feelings, the guy is dead because he reached behind his back after being warned not to do it.
That is the bottom line.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

I've watched the video several times and it gets harder to watch every time. He seems to try and pull his trousers up, but the moment he was shot by a panicking imbecile his hand was empty and on the floor. No threat.

Just no.
Here is the moment that the officer pulled the trigger.
He had no option.
He is just metres away from a man who could be about to pull out a gun and shoot him dead.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Ah, I see... he was sobbing so the cop should have risked his life. Feelz.
I guess that could be a new tactic - just cry a little to buy some time before shooting a cop dead. Brilliant.
Regardless of feelings, the guy is dead because he reached behind his back after being warned not to do it.
That is the bottom line.

yeah it's all his fault if only he didn't have to crawl, cross his legs and keep his hands up, all while extremely rattled and already screwing up with all these commands. If only the cops could have checked him while he was flat on the floor and his hands outstretched. Oh wait they could have! Maybe even ask some questions! But instead lets play simon says with a cop screaming at you if you screw up I HAVE to kill you even though you are visually upset and possibly intoxicated. You're right all the guys fault for reaching the wrong way.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   

I already said that the cop seemed like a douche and went overboard with his instructions, but at the moment he pulled the trigger he was fully justified in doing so.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   

I already said that the cop seemed like a douche and went overboard with his instructions, but at the moment he pulled the trigger he was fully justified in doing so.

his overboard instructions are what led to a mistake and watching the video I felt the guy was gonna screw it up just by his state of mind and confusion. I just don't understand why it had to come to that when a simple pat down and search while the guy is on the floor and maybe a question or two and everyone goes home alive. the cop is in charge why make a difficult situation worse? Unless of course the cop just wants to be difficult.

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join