It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Undoing the Diseducation of Millenials

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I've read a lot of fairly insane stuff lately coming from teachers and colleges. This is really a breath of fresh air and I agree with pretty much everything this professor is saying.
newbostonpost.com...

I teach in a law school. For several years now my students have been mostly Millennials. Contrary to stereotype, I have found that the vast majority of them want to learn. But true to stereotype, I increasingly find that most of them cannot think, don’t know very much, and are enslaved to their appetites and feelings. Their minds are held hostage in a prison fashioned by elite culture and their undergraduate professors.

They cannot learn until their minds are freed from that prison. This year in my Foundations of Law course for first-year law students, I found my students especially impervious to the ancient wisdom of foundational texts, such as Plato’s Crito and the Code of Hammurabi. Many of them were quick to dismiss unfamiliar ideas as “classist” and “racist,” and thus unable to engage with those ideas on the merits. So, a couple of weeks into the semester, I decided to lay down some ground rules. I gave them these rules just before beginning our annual unit on legal reasoning.

There's more it's hard not to post the whole speech. I suggest reading the rest but I'll finish with this:

1.  The only “ism” I ever want to come out your mouth is a syllogism. If I catch you using an “ism” or its analogous “ist” — racist, classist, etc. — then you will not be permitted to continue speaking until you have first identified which “ism” you are guilty of at that very moment. You are not allowed to fault others for being biased or privileged until you have first identified and examined your own biases and privileges.

I think every student going into University today should get a speech like this.
edit on 8/12/2017 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

edit on Fri Dec 8 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed huge quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Diseducation

Off to a great start there.

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   
My daughter is starting to get re-educated.
After getting her degree in liberal arts, she has to work for a living.... outside of that liberal arts field.
Learning about who doesn't give two poops about what happens to a fragile psyche. Learning that paying bills comes from hard work and the tax man takes his share.

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   
How long until that person is fired? He must teach a very good course.

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88

He forgot Islamism and terrorism, two "isms" that some people like to link together for some reason.

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

In fact, “isms” prevent you from learning. You have been taught to slap an “ism” on things that you do not understand, or that make you feel uncomfortable, or that make you uncomfortable because you do not understand them. But slapping a label on the box without first opening the box and examining its contents is a form of cheating. Worse, it prevents you from discovering the treasures hidden inside the box.

I don't think they were ruled out, either. They are "isms" are they not?

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I predict a lot of clucking happening in that class. I wonder how many, if any, immediately dropped the class. I hope none.

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Kentuckymama

according to the article only two students, so far, have had to cluck like chickens.

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheSemiSkeptic
a reply to: Kentuckymama

according to the article only two students, so far, have had to cluck like chickens.

Yeah, its pretty easy to talk around the ism word and still communicate it.

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Reasoning requires you to understand the difference between true and false. And reasoning requires coherence and logic. Most of you have been taught to embrace incoherence and illogic. You have learned to associate truth with your subjective feelings, which are neither true nor false but only yours, and which are constantly changeful.

I bump against that schism all the time here. People are so quick to make judgment based on emotion and hear say, thus Omitting logic and forensics. He must have a tough time teaching law up there in the halls of 'higher' education.

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Sounds like a wise professor,much unlike my liberal relatives,who hold offices and are college professors,with there defying logic,and their asnine reasoning,these are in top universitys,in Calif,this is so true,they lack in good old common sense,they have no idea of how to seek the truth

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

He forgot Islamism and terrorism, two "isms" that some people like to link together for some reason.

Well, to be fair, it’s no different than some people linking Christianity and the Crusades...I don’t think it’s a secret the goal is wiping us infidels off the face of the earth. Unfortunately Christianity and Crusades don’t end in “ism” so I can make those two words match as you did.

Another non-secret, wars over religion have caused more death and suffering than any other rationale for war.

Disclaimer, I worship neither Islam or Christianity...

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   
That is simply SPECTACULAR!!

This professor truly deserves a medal!!!

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv
Ah, but therein lies the rub. A lot of people on here are really quick to use those to terms to stall or stop debates or as a derogatory name calling. Not because they know what those terms mean but because they do not want to look at the evidence or reasoning behind them by the poster. So blindly throw around those terms.
The professor maybe right in his field of teaching and I would think it may be a bit personal on his part from hearing to many "isms", but that is how languages evolve. "isms" are just a prefix for "the way of", ie.terrorism is the way of terror.
The three examples he allows are examples of this. People would first be known as communist, he is a communist, they are communist, therefore as a collective to describe their group it evolves into communism.
I think the only thing he is trying to stop his students blindly using those "isms" to stop anyone else's ideas or reasoning on the "ism".

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lab4Us

I don’t think it’s a secret the goal is wiping us infidels off the face of the earth.

I think this professor would have you clucking away!

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Sargon has a good vid up looking into whats going on in Canadian Universities .

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
Sargon has a good vid up looking into whats going on in Canadian Universities .

I have friends still in University here in Canada. All I know is, listening to the crap they babble about, I'm really glad I finished my schooling years ago and thank # it wasn't the way it is now.

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Yeah it has nothing to do with the disproportionate amount of terrorist attacks from Islam compared to every other race creed and religion.

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Pretty well sums things up at about 17:14 and onward.

Yep!

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Funny how conservatives have managed to label higher-education as the enemy. That's very telling. Stop it, man. Most colleges teach students just enough to land an entry level job (if that), and most teachers don't waste time trying to indoctrinate students into believing an ideology that isn't on the course syllabus.

This is all very goofy.

But you guys need your enemies I guess.

Millennials believe the things they do because of factors at play long before they started college, set in motion by the generation bitching about them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join