It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking - We are being Swindled, being Manipulated and being Deceived...politics and media!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Thorneblood

With all due respect, I spent a good 15 minutes writing up the OP and had exactly ZERO intention of this discussion descending into a racial debate...or anything of the sort. Furthermore, I believe my words are quite clear as to their intent and their meaning.

Perhaps to be more clear; if you wish to have a discussion about racism then please author your own thread accordingly and state your position and discuss as appropriate. You only reflect on your own intelligence, or lack thereof, by attempting to divert this topic, which clearly is NOT about racism (in any way shape or form), into a discussion OTHER than what my OP intended it to be.

Now, if you'd like me to summarize the above a little more succinctly..."please either respond to the topic, on-topic, or leave and go start your own topic about a subject which you would like to discuss".

I am asking nicely (rare for me). Again, with all due respect.

Thank you.

edit on 12/8/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 12:29 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

"Journalism" ain't nothing more than a "business". Much like "politics" and "capitalism". It's going to "sell", what it can sell. .. If it thinks it can. It's a sign of the "time". It's not rocket Science! Liberals are the "traveling snake oil" folk of old.. All you got/have to do? Is buy it! I laugh! The only people "selling" "faith", are the people that have no faith... Makes me question their "knowledge" and sanity.

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: murphy22

I agree to a point, journalism is a little more sinister as actually steers the ship, where as capitalism and politics is more of a stance people take, after they have been been steered by the journalism itself, if that makes any sense.

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Samuel Clemens would be awesome!

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 12:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Good historical example of something we can still see today. So much doesn't get reported, and what does, well, how do we even know it's real? These days, they can set things up right in front of people, and fool anyone into believing anything. If facts are hidden, and we all know they often are, what is presented that isn't fact? Is it such a stretch to believe that much of what we see, and read, is completely faked?

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 12:43 AM
link   

You are right, it's not about racism, but writing two paragraphs about what is essentially an incident of racism as witnessed by Mark Twain seems to have little relation to your main point. I question this, as Mark Twain was an ardent opponent of Yellow Journalism (Something he once called the Calamity of Calamities) then I ask why you wouldn't use any of his own work regarding this as the focus of your OP instead of an anecdote that never made it to press.

Yellow journalism, or the yellow press, is a US term for a type of journalism that presents little or no legitimate well-researched news and instead uses eye-catching headlines to sell more newspapers. Techniques may include exaggerations of news events, scandal-mongering or sensationalism.

In the 19th century, a prominent writer named Mark Twain made his name through a number of writings as an author and a journalist. More importantly, one may be able to figure out how the 19th century journalism was depicted through the use of his own works. Two significant short stories, "Journalism in Tennessee" and "How I Edited an Agricultural Paper Once" show how yellow journalism was primarily used as a way to gain newspaper sales and to enliven public readers. Yellow journalism can be described as a biased opinion subterfuge under an apparent fact. It seems so, that during Twain's time period was when yellow journalism started to emerge and popularize. Additionally, Mark Twain was particularly critical about the practice of journalism since he uses satire and a hint of dark humor in most of his works.

As i said, it's a cool story, but the topic you're discussing could be better exemplified and discussed by focusing on how the modern media and the internet seem to be bringing us back to a time when sensationalism and scandal mongering are as prevalent today as they were in Mark Twain's time.

There are a number of interesting stories to be found in the following links. Enjoy them, enjoy your debate, but encouraging others to insult me or any other poster who disagrees with you does little to educate anyone.

“I was converted to a no-party independence by the wisdom of a rabid Republican. This was a man who was afterward a United States Senator, and upon whose character rests no blemish that I know of, except that he was the father of the William R. Hearst of to-day, and therefore grandfather of Yellow Journalism–that calamity of calamities.”

"Yellow Journalism" has its roots in the rapid increase in newspaper circulation from the 1880’s to 1900, during which point over a thousand new newspapers companies entered circulation. Back in those days, subscription services did not exist. Like the modern newspapers, the individuals who advertised in their newspapers paid them for the amount of papers sold per day. The newspapers literally survived off of the amount of readers they could generate through their paperboys. As such, each news organization would publish multiple issues a day. In an age without instant information, the newspaper was often the only way the common man heard the news. As such, newspaper readers often numbered in the hundreds of thousands.

As such, competition between major news agencies often became quite heated. The term “Yellow Journalism” refers to the excessive use of sensationalism, capital-letter news articles, and questionable evidence, in an attempt to build reader circulation. Of the most famous practitioners of their era were Randolph Hearst of the "San Francisco Examiner" and "New York Journal" and Joseph Pulitzer’s "New York World." Both of them designed their newspapers to grab as much attention as possible, including crime stories, games, and other tidbits. Their version of the newspaper was constructed far more like a piece of entertainment than an actual newspaper.

Their credibility was called into question years later, when it developed that their news piece about the USS Maine falsely indicted Spain as the culprit, resulting in the Spanish-American War. These questionable practices have now become part of modern news media. Due to the countless ways news can be disseminated, and the massive variety of alternative media sources, both traditional and new media have adapted various methodologies of "yellow journalism." The first is the increasing validity of opinion without evidence, especially on twitter or other mass media platforms.

Odyssey
Rise of Yellow Journalism
Library

And finally Mark Twain said this
"History does not repeat itself, but it often rhymes"

edit on 8-12-2017 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Maybe I'm crazy, but I've never expected a hint of impartiality in reporting because, well, it's people who are reporting.

It's good people are waking up I guess. But to me it just seems like everyone is late to the party. How naive do you have to be to believe that the news ever told you the truth? Or your teachers? Or your parents? Or your government? Or your preacher?

Or anyone for thay matter. Even if you see it in front of you, check twice. And then again if you still aren't certain.

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 05:31 AM
link   

"There is no such a thing in America as an independent press, unless it is out in country towns. You are all slaves. You know it, and I know it. There is not one of you who dares to express an honest opinion. If you expressed it, you would know beforehand that it would never appear in print. I am paid $150 for keeping honest opinions out of the paper I am connected with. Others of you are paid similar salaries for doing similar things. If I should allow honest opinions to be printed in one issue of my paper, I would be like Othello before twenty-four hours: my occupation would be gone. The man who would be so foolish as to write honest opinions would be out on the street hunting for another job. The business of a New York journalist is to distort the truth, to lie outright, to pervert, to villify, to fawn at the feet of Mammon, and to sell his country and his race for his daily bread, or for what is about the same — his salary. You know this, and I know it; and what foolery to be toasting an "Independent Press"! We are the tools and vassals of rich men behind the scenes. We are jumping-jacks. They pull the string and we dance. Our time, our talents, our lives, our possibilities, are all the property of other men. We are intellectual prostitutes."

John Swinton, a Scottish-American journalist, newspaper publisher, and orator , Twillight Club New York, 1883

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 05:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thorneblood
a reply to: murphy22

To help further your own education...

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
- Mark Twain

Enjoy patting yourselves on the back guys, but an anecdote about racism from a time where racism was rife and the standards of journalism were at best non-existent does very little to convince me OP's post is anything but a cool story.

Offering insults instead of evidence to support your beliefs is usually a sign that your argument itself lacks any real merit.

Making comparisons between Yellow Journalism and modern media might have made for a more intelligent debate but what would I know.

I won’t make the oh so easy response to your last question here...I’ll just state my opinion that if you think there are journalisic standards today, you are sadly mistaken. When journalists don’t even bother to source or verify their reporting, all in the rush to be first (look at me, look at me), before releasing their ‘stories” nationally (or world-wide), that’s all they’ve become...STORIES. Not fact, not logical deducement, but STORIES, just like the novels Mr. Clemens wrote under his Mark Twain oen name.

Todays media is exactly as the OP stated through his story. They “think” we don’t see them writing and reporting what will sell their STORIES to the big money liberals. They (the media) are sadly mistaken, as evidenced by POTUS 45 continually overcoming the medias tireless lambasting sans facts...

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 06:50 AM
link   
In reading the Autobiography of Mark Twain one cannot help but notice the similarities, culturally, between those days of the late 19th century and now. Sure, the setting was considerably more primitive, but the roots of many of the same issues we see today were well established, even back then. It's quite remarkable actually.

As I travel with Clemens through the pages of his life, his sarcasm on infinite display, I can't help but notice, over and over again, the parallels of the modern era. Change but a few words describing the scene and you have a crystal clear characterization of modern day events. Despite all of the seemingly endless advancements in technology, all of the chains of political correctness (awareness some might choose to call it), the underpinning social construct is much the same.

Very interesting, indeed.

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I don't think that was what Johannes Gutenberg had in mind for his invention.

"Stop the presses!" "tear off the front page!" "Where's Kent?!"

Let's not forget, knowledge is power (and money)

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

Let's not forget, knowledge is power (and money)

...and Deception is King among those entrenched in the art of war, or life, as it were.

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I see what your getting at but comparing 1860s to today just doesnt work. Journalists have changed even racism has changed. Chinese are no longer beaten and forced into indentured servants. What this does show is racism will always be around

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 07:44 AM
link   

A news correspondent in San Francisco witnessed some hoods chasing an elderly Asian man in the street. The Asian man was carrying a load of laundry for his customers to the laundry. The hoods threw rocks at him and then beat him. While all this was happening a policeman stood by and did nothing. He did nothing to stop the attack, he did not interfere.

People have no idea. Did you know the city of San Francisco's population is now over 33 percent "Asian"?

The white establishment there can't rock a boat that full, it'll sink.

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

It should come as no surprise. The handwriting was on the wall, even in 1864 when Twain wrote of this event for the SF Morning Call. Even his editor, Mr. Barnes, saw it, calling it a 'prejudice'. None the less, profit trumped truth and political correctness trumped justice.

Nothing has changed.

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   

I have a story to tell you about a "shock jock" called Andrew Bolt-the Aussie Alex Jones.

He was the butt of many jokes on the ABC for his constant contradictions and inaccuracies and right wing views. He blames the left for all this and calls for the government to cut the funding to the broadcaster but guess what...the current government is right wing! the broadcaster has a media watchdog that has caught him and his colleagues out, there is an open forum with both left and right politicians with a partisan audience, yet he throws a temper tantrum when he is proven wrong.

My theory is that fewer advertisements lead to a better truth.

edit on 8-12-2017 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: intrptr

It should come as no surprise. The handwriting was on the wall, even in 1864 when Twain wrote of this event for the SF Morning Call. Even his editor, Mr. Barnes, saw it, calling it a 'prejudice'. None the less, profit trumped truth and political correctness trumped justice.

Nothing has changed.

I agree. I have personal experience from the early 80's. Visiting friends in the Chinese Tong district of SF, we were told not to come after dark and to call from a phone booth if we couldn't make it in time.

The bus we took from the South Bay into the city was late so we had to call from a phone booth before we walked up to their apartment. All the way up the street we were watched and followed by 'people'. All night we heard sirens, a couple times we heard bursts of fire from sub machine guns.
edit on 8-12-2017 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
I see what your getting at but comparing 1860s to today just doesnt work.

On the contrary, it most certainly does! And, while I have repeatedly stated this post is not about racism, I will engage your follow-on statement(s) just as a matter of clarity to the overall point...

Journalists have changed even racism has changed.

Journalists have changed, how? Maybe they have changed in the tools they use, but not in the fundamental rule-set they operate by, not at all. Racism hasn't changed either; oh sure, the color and ethnicity has shifted around, but racial/cultural/religious xenophobia is just as strong today as it was in 1846, possibly stronger.

No, neither journalism nor racism has changed in any measurable way over the last 153 years.

Chinese are no longer beaten and forced into indentured servants. What this does show is racism will always be around

That statement is a non-sequitur. That the Chinese are no longer beaten or enslaved proves nothing about racism...one way or the other. Standing on its own, I would agree cultural xenophobic behavior will always be around in some form...but again, that is not what the OP is about.

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

I have a story to tell you about a "shock jock" called Andrew Bolt-the Aussie Alex Jones.

He was the butt of many jokes on the ABC for his constant contradictions and inaccuracies and right wing views. He blames the left for all this and calls for the government to cut the funding to the broadcaster but guess what...the current government is right wing! the broadcaster has a media watchdog that has caught him and his colleagues out, there is an open forum with both left and right politicians with a partisan audience, yet he throws a temper tantrum when he is proven wrong.

As does any partisan controlled media. One distinction I would point out for the benefit of the readers of this post is (not a disagreement with you at all), the definitions of 'left' and 'right' have some fundamental differences between the US and Australia which can often lead to confusion when these terms are discussed.

My theory is that fewer advertisements lead to a better truth.

And I would heartily agree with this! Unfortunately, there's a flip-side to this same coin. If you remove advertising from the revenue stream of the news environment then where do they get their revenue? Clearly, if the answer is government funding, then another bias is almost immediately created.

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Ah, Mr Goebels would be proud. That's the propaganda theme not the Nazi one. The media, the government and including in that the intelligence agencies all sh**in the same pot. They are ok at the moment because they can keep the majority of their lies, whoops I meant their news, localised. An example from Intrpr about SF. But something big is coming that they won't be able to spin their way out of and when it does most people will be surprised but the SHTF big time and it will bring about their own downfall.
It bring to mind the part in the movie Jaws when the mayor keeps denying any attacks till it becomes too big to contain.
By the way Clay did you mend your tractor tyre?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join