It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking - We are being Swindled, being Manipulated and being Deceived...politics and media!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 10:55 PM
link   
This is a stunning revelation of politics and media manipulation. The truth is now upon us, for all to see, once and for all. The cold, hard, facts of the modern day in western culture. As you will shortly see, the time is now to act, for if we fail to do so our very future, our prospect of survival as a culture is very dim indeed. ...

A news correspondent in San Francisco witnessed some hoods chasing an elderly Asian man in the street. The Asian man was carrying a load of laundry for his customers to the laundry. The hoods threw rocks at him and then beat him. While all this was happening a policeman stood by and did nothing. He did nothing to stop the attack, he did not interfere. The news correspondent watched in horror as the attack took place and the policeman did nothing. For his daily column, due later that evening so it could be published in the next morning's paper, he decided to write about the event he had witnessed. He was furious at what he had witnessed, and was sure his readers would be too.

The next day the correspondent eagerly read the paper, but didn't see his article. Nor did he see it the next day, or the day after. On the third day he went to to the editor's office and saw his article filed in a rejected articles bin. He inquired of his colleagues why his article had not been published, and was told the chief editor had rejected it out of hand, and ordered it not be published.

The correspondent then sat down and made a record of the event in his personal diary. It reads as follows...

"And Mr. Barnes furnished his reasons--either to me or to the foreman, I don't remember which; but they were commercially sound. He said the Call was like the New York Sun of that day: it was the washerwoman's paper--that is, it was the paper of the poor and must respect their prejudices or perish. The Irish were the poor. They were the stay and support of the Morning Call; without them the Morning Call could not survive a month--and they hated the Chinamen. Such an assault as I had attempted could rouse the whole Irish hive and seriously damage the paper. The Call could not afford to publish articles criticizing the hoodlums for stoning the Chinamen."

And as seedy and corrupt as that justification seemed, the correspondent went on to note something which portends all of our future(s)...

"I was lofty in those days. I have survived it. I was unwise then. I am up-to-date now. Day before yesterday's New York Sun has a paragraph or two from its London correspondent which enables me to locate myself. The correspondent mentions a few of our American events of the past twelvemonth, such as the limitless rottenness of our great insurance companies, where theft has been carried on by our most distinguished commercial men as a profession; the exposures of millionfold graft in the great Pennsylvania Railway system--with minor uncoverings of commercial swindles from one end of the United States to the other; and finally today's lurid exposure, by Upton Sinclair, of the most titanic and death dealing swindle of them all, the Beef Trust, an exposure which has moved the President to demand of a reluctant Congress a law which shall protect America and Europe from falling, in a mass, into the hands of the doctor and the undertaker."

Mark Twain - 1906, The Autobiography of Mark Twain, pg 157-158, chronicling events of 1864

The correspondent was none other than Samuel Langhorne Clemens, more famously known as Mark Twain.

Why "Breaking", is this 'breaking news'? Well, no, not this story, but it was a significant event in 1864 when Mark Twain, the reporter for the San Francisco Morning Call witnessed the events, and personally wrote the story. Why does it matter now? Because, every day we read (or don't read) a similar re-manipulation of reality in the media. The news is manipulated, fabricated from nothing or suppressed altogether, the truth never to see the light of day.

The bottom line here is, these events took place more than 153 years ago, and even then the government and the media were corrupt, perhaps even more than they are today. So in the end, the immortal words of Mark Twain bear proof to the theorem of 'The more we fail to learn from history, the more history will repeat itself.

I hope you enjoyed this 'breaking' side trip back in history, and I hope (pray actually) we can all learn from it. If for no other reason than...tomorrow's breaking news headlines may not be what they seem.

Best to all, and comments welcome (as always)!
edit on 12/7/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

There's little doubt news is crafted to manipulate the reader, news was likely started for this very reason .

I will never forget an interview I heard on the radio some years ago, a famous Aussie journalist quit at the top of his game as he was unhappy with what he was being forced to feed his audience, he was saying with all the crazy stuff going on in the world he wasn't allowed to report, his employer wanted him to report about fluff, meaningless fluff.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Sounds more like everyday racism then the corruption of media and government, but ok, cool story bro.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 11:13 PM
link   
OP: .."There is nothing new, under the sun". -King Solomon. (About 4000 yrs ago.) Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) was a wise man in his own right..for his day in time. I'd have loved to buy him a drink. You have to understand "education" is not, "wisdom".

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 11:14 PM
link   
The media themselves print the stories about themselves.

The idea that they were honest Joe's is one of their own manufacture.

It is the World Wide Web that is the cause of their demise because now, their lies can be exposed ... and as you have shown here, there are a lot of lies to still come out.

This is the beginning of the end for these news outlets that try to set the monologues to favor whomever it is that increases their turn at money making.

Degenerates all.

P

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Thorneblood

The story of the Asian man and the attack is indeed considered racism by today's standards, but this wasn't really the point. The main point was the media choosing to not report it because it was essentially bad for business...and the subsequent lament about the British correspondent parsing out news about US Government activity that no one would report in the US. This is where the media and government corruption lie. The actual attack was nothing more than a racial prejudice which even Twain acknowledged in 1906 when he wrote the entry.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 11:18 PM
link   

OP. This Thorneblood, clown. Yeah, Take him/it, for what it is, uneducated nonsense.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: murphy22

Indeed.

Nor is education ever an excuse for wisdom. That is to say, an educated man does not a wise man make. Although, many would have people think otherwise.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 11:21 PM
link   

OP: Does, "the media" define "truth"?

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Absolutely not! However, they have an obligation to report facts and not manipulate and/or suppress facts. A true 'media' would have the people decide the truth.

Definition of actual "truth" goes far beyond the boundaries of this post, though a fascinating subject none the less. To define 'truth' we must explore logic and morality among numerous other subjects. In the absence of a definition, in all cases, the actual facts serve as best the truth as anything.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 11:36 PM
link   
You said it more eloquent than I did. But I can "ride" with/for, that! I get the basics of your post. I agree. "Oil your leather, there's a faint..Sound at night".

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 11:40 PM
link   
LOL sure boys, sure.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   

You sound like a thinker. And not someone that's, told what to "think". .. Keep thinking. You'll always have a spot at my campfire,.. Hail the camp first! Keep your rifle shouldered and pistol in leather... Coffee'll be on... Good conversation is always welcome.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I believe the internet will be monitored for the truth and not allowed to be published one day. Just like China, North Korea and yes, even here in Japan it is against the law to publish anything about Fukushima radiation contamination. No joke people, prison time and a big fine. Ever wonder foreigner journalist don't get involved, hmm maybe they might be banned from entry into Japan.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 11:48 PM
link   
👍 Got it!

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Mark Twain would be my first pick for someone historical to have dinner with...you KNOW it wouldn't be boring.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 11:56 PM
link   

To help further your own education...

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
- Mark Twain

Enjoy patting yourselves on the back guys, but an anecdote about racism from a time where racism was rife and the standards of journalism were at best non-existent does very little to convince me OP's post is anything but a cool story.

Offering insults instead of evidence to support your beliefs is usually a sign that your argument itself lacks any real merit.

Making comparisons between Yellow Journalism and modern media might have made for a more intelligent debate but what would I know.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

TRUTH, is/has never been, easy. The "internet". Is nothing more than an instrument, to divide the Republic. That's all it has ever been used for. This "ATS" sight is nothing more than that.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 11:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thorneblood

To help further your own education...

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
- Mark Twain

Enjoy patting yourselves on the back guys, but an anecdote about racism from a time where racism was rife and the standards of journalism were at best non-existent does very little to convince me OP's post is anything but a cool story.

Offering insults instead of evidence to support your beliefs is usually a sign that your argument itself lacks any real merit.

Making comparisons between Yellow Journalism and modern media might have made for a more intelligent debate but what would I know.

Perhaps, although the relevance is in your own perception, I would imagine if one wanted to they could view that story as police corruption and not about racism.

The op however is focusing on the journalism and it's shady past.
edit on 8-12-2017 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Nobody said anything about "racism". You did! I'm sure you're all "enlightened", "and stuff"... (You probably got a piece of paper, signed by an idiot, saying you're "educated")... Yaawwwnnn! I've personally seen at least a couple hundred, of that kinda "paperwork".

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join