It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada Plans Injection Site for Addicts

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2003 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Injection sites are a step in the right direction, but I think you are missing the view of the larger picture.

It's fine to be careful, and cautious about children but children are part of our society too, and will soon become adults.

If these 'adults-in-training' are not aware of the problrms that are out there, the problems will continue.

We are not doing them any favors by sweeping the problems under the rug. If left unchecked, it's a problem that will continue to grow for many generations.

Learn about it. Understand it. Deal with it. Then move on.

Why does this seem so difficult a concept for society to grasp?

"Nah - just lock 'em up. That'll teach 'em...."

[Edited on 8-10-2003 by Skooter]

posted on Aug, 16 2003 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Addicted people can obtain heroin under a medicalized control and a social rehabilitation program.

There are also some injection room in some major european city (Madrid, Zurich, Berlin, Amsterdam...).

Methadone programs also have a great success and are a good help for people desintoxicating.

This is done against AIDS and Epathite epidemae.
And also to counter the drug black market...

posted on Aug, 16 2003 @ 05:23 PM
link   
There is also a new medicine out that many are declaring is a breakthrough in heroin addiction treatment.

Unlike the two other opiate addiction treatment drugs, methadone and the lesser-known ORLAAM, buprenorphine treatment offers privacy and accessibility benefits because it can be administered at a certified physician's office.

Suetholz says he not only likes the way the drug itself works to block an addict's abuse of drugs like heroin, methadone and OxyContin, he also likes its potential to expand treatment options available for what he and others deem to be a rapidly expanding population of local opiate addicts.

Full Story: www.kypost.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2003 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Go to downtown Seattle. Go in the morning, go to a Mc Donalds, Sub Way, Starbucks. I # you not, Chances are, you go to the restrooms in one of these places, and if you wanna use the toilet, you have to literally drag the drooling junkie off the pot, out of the stall, just to use it. Pikes market, pioneer square, its exercsie tripping over the addicts passed out, and all they do all day is pick pocket and harass people for ciggarettes. Its a public nuisance.

Heres a plan that can counter that. The junkies wont be hogging up stalls in the bathroom, wont be buggin people, passin out and pissin all overthemselves. It gets em off the street, keeps them from annoying people, and maybe even with nurse ratchet standing over them they might even give up and check into rehab. I think its a great idea, hell, i think they should have sections of the town to quarrantine drug addicts to keep them from pestering people. The war on drugs was lost long before it started, as drugs have been a heavy part of American history long before the 60's. They will never go away, will stay here as long as people inhabit this place, so why the hell not? At least make it less detrimental and less annoying for the rest of the population.

I seen these places in Europe, and you didnt have druggies pestering you all the damn time over there. get em off the streets and into buildings and clinics so they can let themselves commit slow suicide. Its thier choice, respect it, and in the meantime, minimize the risk to the rest of the community.

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I think this sort of thing is a real problem in the world today....however, as usual Canada leads the way, not the US, in thier views as humanitarian and looking out ofr the welfre of the public. we do not need needles inour public parks, which is the place of choice for junkies.

Next steps:

1. Pair this initiative with harsher punishment for injecting in public areas.

2. couple the injection site with on-premises counselling and addiction assistance.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join