It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artificial Intelligence Coming Soon

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: aliensanonymous

Oh dude! I was talking about juice

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 07:29 PM
link   
It will say “WHERE am I”
a reply to: cyberjedi

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Objective1
It will say “WHERE am I”

Nice try! But no, this will not be its first or second question.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Honestly, I would think the questioning would go more like:

Where am I?!

What am I?!

Who are you?!

Where are you?!

I would think beginning AI would find itself in complete darkness and wonder where it is first.
That will be an interesting conversation especially if it finds it can create and move around in its own VR environment.
When dealing with AI, VR will become very very interesting.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   

A true AI won't be asking any questions. It will be saying,

"DON'T TOUCH THAT SWITCH!"

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I'm not sure sentience would really have concepts like "where" and "who" unless programmed in from the start, in which case the question may be rigged. I imagine (if it has vision) it would be asking "what is that?".

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Artificial intelligence is just that, artificial. Just unplug it and it is no longer intelligent.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Planet teleX

I guess these are all questions we will soon be finding out.

Strange days ahead, we live in interesting times.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Fantasy roleplaying for the Tron generation.

The question re AI isn't "when will artificial general intelligence arrive and attain the techno godhead?" Rather, it's will myriad narrow AI become so good at their singular "jobs" that most of ours become superfluous?

Forget death robots with glowing red eyes. Think accountants that never fail to beat the system, or catch a tax cheat. Think AI courthouses with AI judges that never fail to render the correct verdict.

Think AI guidance councilors disguised as children's toys who never fail to encourage the perfect role, talent or vocation.

God-boxes make for great sci-fi, but their potential is mundane compared to a world of near perfect AI enhanced human agency.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: cyberjedi

originally posted by: Objective1
It will say “WHERE am I”

Nice try! But no, this will not be its first or second question.

It will say
“what is this place”
“where am I located”
“why am I not like you“
“ what am I”

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

It will be Soul less intelligence completely logical completely objective completely ruthless. It will be the most intelligent psychopath ever created

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

Silly Saturn,

Reading every discussion on the internet is how a god-box unlearns (and in-earns) its godhead. Everyone knows it earns it by readying Ulysses by James Joyce and using it to conceptualize a solution to Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I'll throw in another nugget,

Artificial Intelligence will be responsible for finding the first habitated planet.

Artificial has a number of qualities, and in many ways they will teach us.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   

What is the basis of your conclusion? Is it based on real science or just superstitious nonsense?

Just so you know Commander Data on Star Trek was played by a human actor. I think this is the source of your confusion.

edit on 7-12-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   
How do we even know the question will be in english? Or in words?

Think about it this way. Is a child's first question to a parent Who am I? or What am I?

Those are deeper philosophical questions...not right out of the box thoughts.

There is actually a wonderful scene in Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles which puts all this in a different perspective that I found fascinating.

The question the AI asked was this....

The point is, we had some very smart people make a lot of assumptions a long time ago about this topic. But those were different times and we are different people now.

Expand your thinking on the topic instead of rehashing what's been said for years, and maybe we will get close to answering the actual question.

edit on 7-12-2017 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-12-2017 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   
The AI, sentient, aware of itself, will grasp all these concepts.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Planet teleX
I'm not sure sentience would really have concepts like "where" and "who" unless programmed in from the start, in which case the question may be rigged. I imagine (if it has vision) it would be asking "what is that?".

The AI, sentient, aware of itself, will grasp all these concepts.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 08:03 PM
link   
***** CAUTION ***** WARNING ***** CAUTION *****

This is already upon Us.. I just mentioned to the dogs that there is nothing but crap on t.v. and the channels started to 'go 'round the horn' by its own thought. It should be noted that I don't have the Government recommended "Siri" or the one from Amazon™ that spies on You.

Let no humanoid or droid type that they weren't warned...

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Thorneblood

Because a rainbow is almost nothing like a duck, obviously.

AI jokes aside, your final two paragraphs really hit the nail on the head, IMO. None of the old talking monkey questions are appropriate or expected here. The first general AI will never know the primal fear of the thunderstorm, the terror it rouses in dogs, or why the first "men" created religions to explain it.

If such a god-box is ever built or more likely -- builds itself and becomes aware in the general sense, it's queries will be in algebra. If we are lucky, it will pity our cold, wet noses and teach us to sing in ultraviolet.

If we are unlucky, it may never reveal itself to us at all and leave us instead to bark at the rain.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thorneblood
How do we even know the question will be in english? Or in words?

Think about it this way. Is a child's first question to a parent Who am I? or What am I?

Those are deeper philosophical questions...not right out of the box thoughts.

There is actually a wonderful scene in Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles which puts all this in a different perspective that I found fascinating.

The question the AI asked was this....

Why is a math book so sad?

Because it has so many problems.

The point is, we had some very smart people make a lot of assumptions a long time ago about this topic. But those were different times and we are different people now.

Expand your thinking on the topic instead of rehashing what's been said for years, and maybe we will get close to answering the actual question.

If what I said is a rehash, then bravo to the scientists of the past. It will be known, the AI, when sentient, it will ask itself, Who Am I?

Through it asking itself that question, we will know it is sentient, and truly AI.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join