It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Numbers jump for receiving Florida Food Stamps

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Liars Against Bush

Originally posted by dgtempe
The fact is people seeking to get food stamps in Florida has more than doubled during the Bush years.

In other words, you deliberately lied to us, deliberately posted false information to ATS in violation of the AboveTopSecret.com Terms And Conditions Of Use #1 and you're against Bush.

Got it.

As for your admitted lack of honesty, I'll make a note of it.

Very, very poor form, and very disappointing.

Very Way Below

IMO - this is unecessarily harsh. Ie., compare my response above and mwupy's as well -

dgtempe sees an injustice and wants others to recognize the pure awfulness of it. ...For the # of people of food stamps to rise by 53% in 4 years is astounding - and horrifying. ...The "hunger" report is equally bleak. dgt's lack of experience led to her sensationalizing the headline - fine. Help her fix it without attacking her - or is your ego in such desperate need of a fix?

....If you really were concerned about truth majic - you wouldn't find it necessary to flame someone who's trying - you would help and teach.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jemison

Officials with the state, which administers the federal food program, tout the increase as a sign of progress. They point out that federal and state legislation extended food stamps' availability to groups such as legal immigrants, who used to be excluded from the program.

THAT is the reason for the increase right there.

And if it's anything like California, ILLEGALS also find a way to get in the system with fraudulent social security cards and ID's.

Uh, no. Yes! But no.

According to the self described group of real conservatives recently banned from FreeRepublic for speaking out against Bush's super liberal open borders and extension of Federal assistance to illegals, it's all Bush's fault.

Don't shoot the messenger.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   
For those smart pants out there,

Let’s define hunger, “The uneasy or painful sensation caused by lack of food.”
People get outraged when people like Dg discussed the possibility of hunger in this country, actually not having enough food due to poverty or not enough resources, lead to malnutrition over time.

No, we do not have famine, but we do have malnutrition in mostly our children in this country, and yes children in this country also go to bed hungry.

Why is that possible in a country of plenty? Very simple, financial resources in our low-income families are in the rise.

Also in the elderly, while we do have food, ( all you have to do is go to a grocery store) no everybody has financial access to it.

And yes more people are on food stamps to help put food in the table that is no a lie, no Dg is not lying.

Is just that many does not take their time to research.

Now in a nation of plenty, we have over 31 million of our own citizens including children and elderly going hungry, it makes you wonder as why?

Over 160 million are children, and about 70% are women. Now whose fault is that? We can sit and point fingers and accuse each other of lefties or righties but the truth is that something is definitely wrong in our country.

Thanks Dg for the link.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   
RANT is right, I'm a big Bush supporter but I completely disagree with his immigration policy as I understand it. I don't see why the Mexicans should get any special treatment and I feel the porous Mexican border is a huge threat to national security.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Miami-Dade County has seen a 27-percent jump overall, to 333,895 people, when comparing December 2000 to December 2004.

Palm Beach County's food-stamp population leapt 57 percent to 58,700 people, from December 2000 to December 2004.

In Broward County, the growth has been a staggering 92 percent over the same period. As of Dec. 31, 102,238 people received food stamps in the county.

NOW...look and see how hard those counties were hit by the THREE HURRICANES that went through only weeks apart, and then maybe you'll see the REAL reason for this spike....

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Wow this is sad, people will back bush up, even if everyone is out of work. All for a chunk of national security in iraq. Why are we there in the first place? There not dumb, although the government certainly seems to think so. I've been out of work for awhile, and the longest i've been at work was 3 months. Now were is that silver cloud?

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I'm definitely no Bush fan, but as a Floridian, just thought I'd clear this up. Do you have any idea how many are homeless, jobless, because of those storms??? I can't even drive a block in my area without seeing a still blown out sign, and we pretty much missed the brunt of all 3 of them....

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 05:35 PM
link   

The herd mentality is fun to watch.

If a Bush supporting conservative were to make a similarly misleading thread saying something positive about the war, all of you leaping to defend dg would be all over that person most likely using the same language Majic used.

Dammit Gazrok, I was just going to say that.
Good thing I checked the thread before I posted.

winktv.com
From 2003 to 2004, Charlotte County, devastated by Hurricane Charley, had a relatively small increase in the number of people on food stamps--5.3 percent. Compare that to Collier and Lee counties, where there was less damage: the number of people on food stamps in Collier was up 29.7 percent and in Lee, it jumped 35.9 percent.

But then again all those hurricanes were Bush's fault right? God punishing Florida for voting for him. Or was it HAARP? I can't get the conspiracies straight any more.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

NOW...look and see how hard those counties were hit by the THREE HURRICANES that went through only weeks apart, and then maybe you'll see the REAL reason for this spike....

Things happen Gaz. Things always happen. ...And sumpin's wrong when the foundations don't hold.

...For all the rebuilding and repairs going on - Floridians should be just raking it in. But they're not. Instead, the use of food stamps has gone up 53%.

...Hmmm. Why I wonder? Not like there's no work. Hey! I have an idea! Let's blame the victims! We could just say they're lazy and they don't want to work. Problem solved. No muss. No fuss. No bother.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
...For all the rebuilding and repairs going on - Floridians should be just raking it in. But they're not. Instead, the use of food stamps has gone up 53%.

...Hmmm. Why I wonder? Not like there's no work. Hey! I have an idea! Let's blame the victims! We could just say they're lazy and they don't want to work. Problem solved. No muss. No fuss. No bother.

Give me a break.

You know how many out of staters descend on Florida to reap the benefits of hurricanes? A lot. I think Gazrok could verify that. If you're place of business is destroyed and you don't work in the some kind of construction field your out of luck. Natural disasters can in no way be a boom to the economy that it destroyed. Multiply that times three.

The leaps of logic some of you make astound me.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by PistolPete

...Hmmm. Why I wonder? Not like there's no work.

Give me a break.

You know how many out of staters descend on Florida to reap the benefits of hurricanes? A lot.
The leaps of logic some of you make astound me.

There should be a trickle down effect. Food services, more. Forget the formula now, but it's there. Where is all the money going? And why are so many Floridians SOL?

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   

I hope this was not directed at me. I did mention the lazy people, but I am not saying everyone on food stamps are lazy, but I do know for a fact that some people would rather use a system set up to take care of unfortunate people than to go out and try and better their lives. They are part of the problem. Then there's the rest of the situation. In many poor urban areas, you have drug dealers that sell their product for high prices and put some people who depend on their product in a bad spot. They may have families and can barely keep a job, so they are on food stamps, while the drug dealer is rolling around in SUV's with spinning rims (ever see those, they're kinda cool
)Inner city life can be pretty tough and you just get caught up in it all and never try to get out.

Plus, like someone else stated, this state was recently hit by natural disaster.

[edit on 13-2-2005 by steggyD]

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 06:17 PM
link   
U guys can blame Bush but being a Floridian myself might I also remind You guys we also had 4 major storms come through here last year. Alot of ppl lost everything. If you didnt loose everything your income was was put to an instant halt. I am a Floridian and not on Food Stamps but I am living week to week and my hubby just became unemployed as of last week. Wait to see what the #'s are the end of this year because we are just feeling the ripple effects of Mother Nature!

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I hope i'm quoting correctly, the increase started in 2001 and steadily progressed. Alhough the hurricanes could have attributed to it, this started several years ahead of the disasters .

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Something know one here has mentioned is that Florida has a strong, growing economy right now. Anyone who lives in Florida can tell you how much growth is going on. There's a reason the population is increasing so fast...

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   
www.fns.usda.gov...

Well, let's look at the national stats... The # of people receiving food stamps & the costs of the program peaked in 1994, stabilized for three years and then fell drastically in 1997, 1998, 1999. The total remained level for 2000 & 2001, and then begain to rise sharply through the end of 2004. There weren't hurricanes everywhere--could it be the residual impact of 9/11? I'm not sure...

www.fns.usda.gov...

I just quickly reviewed the state-level stats, but it seems that Texas, Louisiana, Tennesee, Ohio, Michigan, Georgia, Florida, and Arizona had the biggest increases. I might have missed some, but the link is above. Any ideas?

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by lmgnyc
Any ideas?

Lots actually. But that data speaks for itself.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by steggyD

I hope this was not directed at me. I did mention the lazy people, but I am not saying everyone on food stamps are lazy, but I do know for a fact that some people would rather use a system set up to take care of unfortunate people than to go out and try and better their lives.

...No steggy - not directed at you or anyone in particular. It's just that I see a policy shift towards "blaming the victims" in almost everything. Gets my goat.

Good work on the research guys! Knew there was a good story here!

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Since I am a Broward county Resident, let me say the figures are of no surprise. I disagree with the title, because the majority of Floridians live a pretty comfortable life. Personally I am glad the numbers are high, because that means people are getting the help they need.

What is happening in South Florida right now and has been for a few years is the increase of younger wealthy individuals bringing with them certain industries that make money. If you're educated and working in one of the majors industries, then all is well. If you are uneducated or have a low level of education, you fall into the service industry which is what the floridian economy is all about. The service industry accounts for the majority of our jobs and they are not about high wages, hence you have more people living on border line poverty, trying to keep up with ever increasing cost of living. But that isn't the only issue, south Florida in general has a full gambit of urban society problems that contribute to the status of our welfare system.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher

What is happening in South Florida right now and has been for a few years is the increase of younger wealthy individuals bringing with them certain industries that make money. If you're educated and working in one of the majors industries, then all is well. If you are uneducated or have a low level of education, you fall into the service industry which is what the floridian economy is all about. The service industry accounts for the majority of our jobs and they are not about high wages, hence you have more people living on border line poverty, trying to keep up with ever increasing cost of living. But that isn't the only issue, south Florida in general has a full gambit of urban society problems that contribute to the status of our welfare system.

Sounds like the problem really escalated in the past few years - any idea why? ....Just promise me you won't try to blame the victims.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join