It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Numbers jump for receiving Florida Food Stamps

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I don't know how people are making it without food stamps," she said.

Nowadays, many Floridians aren't.

In the Sunshine State, the number of people receiving federally sponsored food stamps soared 53 percent in the past four years to almost 1.4 million residents -- a startling statistic when considering the state's population during the same time period grew 8.4 percent.

The massive numbers are widespread across South Florida.

Miami-Dade County has seen a 27-percent jump overall, to 333,895 people, when comparing December 2000 to December 2004.

Palm Beach County's food-stamp population leapt 57 percent to 58,700 people, from December 2000 to December 2004.

In Broward County, the growth has been a staggering 92 percent over the same period. As of Dec. 31, 102,238 people received food stamps in the county.

Officials with the state, which administers the federal food program, tout the increase as a sign of progress. They point out that federal and state legislation extended food stamps' availability to groups such as legal immigrants, who used to be excluded from the program. Meanwhile, outreach -- a publicized statewide help line and prescreening by phone -- has made slogging through the bureaucratic process more tolerable. And common-sense changes, such as combining the food-stamp application with other federal nutrition programs, has cut down on the paperwork families must fill out.

But others worry the upswing in recipients reflects a stagnant economy that has left some families scraping pennies to buy food.

"Since 2001, we've got a pretty weak economy," said Ellen Vollinger, legal director for a national public-policy center on food and nutrition. "Some of the increase in the [food stamp] caseload, hopefully, is that we're reaching some of the eligible. But it's probably also that we have a larger pool, in part because there's such a strong need."

An average of 21.3 million people in America -- more than half children -- received food stamps each month in fiscal year 2003, according to the United States Department of Agriculture.

Yet 36 million people, including 13 million children, went hungry or worried about where their next meal was coming from, Vollinger said, quoting a federal hunger report.

Episania Retamar, of Hollywood, has relied on food stamps to help feed her two granddaughters for four years.

She saw her family's monthly allowance get slashed from $245 to $115 per month last year when she got a $6.70-per-hour job cleaning a fast-food restaurant at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport. Retamar, 57, wants to be independent and assistance-free, but right now she is glad for the help. She works so hard most days her back aches, but she still does not earn enough to support the family. The extra $115 she gets from the government enables her family to squeak by.

A recent door-to-door survey in Palm Beach County revealed that almost 19 percent of working-poor families -- those making $35,000 a year or less for a family of four -- often make do with small, nutritionally skimpy meals or skip them altogether.

Palm Beach? The well to do reside there. Whats happening? Maybe things arent as good as we're told. They're not alone. Not many can make ends meet nowadays.

Mod Edit: Per request of poster

[edit on 2/13/05 by FredT]

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
oops here's the link

www.sun-sentinel.com... ws/local/southflorida/sfl-pfoodstamps13feb13,0,792609.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   
This is very sad, Dg, I wonder what they are going to do, if Bush budget cuts goes approved.

But hey they are a Republican state the Bushes will take care of them, Rigth?

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   
8.2% qualifies as "most"?

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Exactly, Marg. Perhaps Bush give them a little cookout. Notice the areas? These are generally well to do areas of Florida, and WHITE areas.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Yet 36 million people, including 13 million children, went hungry or worried about where their next meal was coming from, Vollinger said, quoting a federal hunger report.

< Federal Hunger Report>

Tell me this isnt pathetic.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
8.2% qualifies as "most"?

"In the Sunshine State, the number of people receiving federally sponsored food stamps soared 53 percent in the past four years to almost 1.4 million residents -- a startling statistic when considering the state's population during the same time period grew 8.4 percent. "

...This must be why no one want to let Floridians vote!

BTW -
dgtempe. Good find! ...Why don't you write this as a news submission?

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   
The 2003 estimated FL population was 17,019,068 (Source: US Census Bureau).

So with the old 2003 population and the 2004 foodstamp figure, you get

1,400,000/17,019,068 = 0.082260673734 or about 8.2%

The actual percentage would be lower since that's a 2004 foodstamp figure with a 2003 population estimate.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Officials with the state, which administers the federal food program, tout the increase as a sign of progress. They point out that federal and state legislation extended food stamps' availability to groups such as legal immigrants, who used to be excluded from the program.

THAT is the reason for the increase right there.

And if it's anything like California, ILLEGALS also find a way to get in the system with fraudulent social security cards and ID's.

Palm Beach? The well to do reside there. Whats happening? Maybe things arent as good as we're told. They're not alone. Not many can make ends meet nowadays.

There are bad areas of town in ANY well-to-do neighborhood. I highly doubt that people living in the mansions of Palm Beach are part of this food stamp epidemic.

I think it's sad when ANYONE has to worry about where their next meal is coming from and I certainly hope they take the time to figure out a better solution rather than just keep handing out food stamps.

Jemison

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   
When I saw this title "MOST Floridians on food stamps", I was prepared for a bleak picture. After reading it, I'm confused. 8.2% is by no means MOST.
And, Florida isn't one of the states with the highest unemployement and/or negative job gorwth. Like Indiana, Alaska, and Michigan (both dubious ecomoic honors here
)
YOu want bleak , come live in any of these states...but only if you don't need a job.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
The 2003 estimated FL population was 17,019,068 (Source: US Census Bureau).

So with the old 2003 population and the 2004 foodstamp figure, you get

1,400,000/17,019,068 = 0.082260673734 or about 8.2%

The actual percentage would be lower since that's a 2004 foodstamp figure with a 2003 population estimate.

Yeah, that kind of nullifies the title of the thread.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Well try to debunk all you want, and make mockary of the misleading title. The fact is people seeking to get food stamps in Florida has more than doubled during the Bush years.

Better watch out what you hope for with Bush.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   
NATION WIDE-

< Federal Hunger Report>

nEED ANY MORE PROOF...Can you debunk this fact?

There is such a thing as the Federal Hunger Report and apparently they're reporting the truth.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   
dgtempe - you're right - this is an important story. But it's also true that the story's credibility is completely lost because the title is wrong: Most Floridians are NOT on Food stamps. ...Is your edit feature still on? Can you change the title? ...These "details" really are important., and this is not a small descrepancy.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Liars Against Bush

Originally posted by dgtempe
Well try to debunk all you want, and make mockary of the misleading title. The fact is people seeking to get food stamps in Florida has more than doubled during the Bush years.

Better watch out what you hope for with Bush.

The "misleading title" of this article was originally:

Florida food stamp system sees 53% jump from 2000

In other words, you deliberately lied to us, deliberately posted false information to ATS in violation of the AboveTopSecret.com Terms And Conditions Of Use #1 and you're against Bush.

Got it.

As for your admitted lack of honesty, I'll make a note of it.

Very, very poor form, and very disappointing.

Very Way Below

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Those poor folks in florida should move to northwest arkansas. We're the second fastest growing economy in the country and have 2% unemployment. Hell, were having to send buses to mexico to get enough workers. My department is short 3 people right now and I don't care what language you speak, if your willing to work i'll find a way to get you on the payroll.

Makes me glad I don't live in florida though.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Lied? now i'm a liar. Its within the content of the story and therefore i wrote it that way.

I could sit here and cry- BUT I GOT TOUGH SKIN, BUDDY.

THE FACT IS; Your miserable failure of a president could give a rats ars about if anyone living in this country is fed or not. The jump in people seeking food stamps has greatly increased.

ARE YOU HUMAN? If you were, you'd care if "our" children were being properly nourished- I guess you dont. (that makes you worse than a liar)

And for your information- i did try to edit the original post however, for some reason i am not able to do so. SO SUE ME.

YOU CAST THE FIRST STONE AT ME. A "Liar" is a pretty strong word- I dont know who you think you're talking to, I dont particularly care for your personal attacks.

How ironic you should call me a liar, but you think your president is an incredible human being....

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 05:00 PM
link   
my edit function isnt working at the moment*

Or i'd re phrase it so as not to LIE or mislead an otherwise very important article.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
That was a little over the top Majic, I doubt dgtempe meant to lie. I just wanted to point out that the title was misleading.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I guess a sad story would actually be that the people were denied food stamps. Be glad that there is some sort of help while we go through bad times with the economy. You can't blame the president on all job loss. These companies are run by people that decide the fate of your employment. Blame the stockholders, blame the lazy people who are happy to be on food stamps, blame all politicians. Even Clinton let companies ship their business overseas.

But, yeah, it's still not most people in Florida.

Oh yeah, I'm not a Bush fan, I'm libertarian. I didn't vote for Kerry or Bush, so don't blame me.

[edit on 13-2-2005 by steggyD]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join