It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tidalgate: Climate Alarmists Caught Faking Sea Level Rise

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

It is a direct observation. It is not storm surge flooding.

Every fall this happens in south Florida and it was not happening 20 years ago.

The gulf stream plays a role as it pumps more water in the fall than it does the rest of the year.

Check my posts from last year at this time, it was happening then...as it was the previous year.

I am unsure why so many refuse to accept strong evidence of sea level rise but will believe something a junk site like Brietbart puts out.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

20 years isn't long time wise. Personal observations are even more subjective. From a scientific point of view. The actual scientific data doesn't agree.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
Check your source. Breitbart is notorious for pushing fake news.

I live in Key West, this past full moon caused street flooding. This did not happen 20 years ago.

no doubt, sea levels have been rising at a pretty steady pace for about 11,000 years.
www.e-education.psu.edu...

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   

a reply to: intrptr

It is a direct observation. It is not storm surge flooding.

The gulf stream plays a role as it pumps more water in the fall than it does the rest of the year.

Check my posts from last year at this time, it was happening then...as it was the previous year.

I am unsure why so many refuse to accept strong evidence of sea level rise but will believe something a junk site like Brietbart puts out.

Like I said, just 1500 miles away... no visual evidence of sea level rise.
Sure raises some questions.

Of course, Florida rests mostly on a big slab of limestone, which is why it sees so many sinkholes open up out of seemingly nowhere.

Isn't too much of a stretch to think that the whole place is sinking as the earth below it is eroded out to sea by the daily rains.
With how wide and flat the place is, it would only need to sink a couple of feet to have a huge change in flooding.

I mean, as pointed out, North America as a whole seems to be moving up, slowly rebounding from glaciers that passed through over 10,000 years ago. The crust of the earth is floating on the mantle- maybe the outer layer of the mantle that supports florida is shifting.

For the record, I'm not saying there's no such thing as sea level change or global warming- I'm decidedly undecided on all of it... but there are certainly lots of different reasons you could be seeing a little extra water.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Ask the residents of Polynesia if you want the truth.

Vanuatu, Fiji, Tonga etc they will lose their coastlines in 50 years give or take, they will be as they say 'economic refugees' as they rely on tourism to fuel their GDP-No beaches, no money.

Then you have Bangladesh who lost half a million people due to a single cyclonic storm-and due to it's latitude, the rising sea levels, the warming oceans...Goodbye Bangladesh, hello Atlantis!

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

I live in Key West, this past full moon caused street flooding. This did not happen 20 years ago.

no doubt, sea levels have been rising at a pretty steady pace for about 11,000 years.

No.
Your source:

Figure 4.32: Holocene Sea Level curve showing the most recent period of rise and warming. Data is the same as in Figure 4.30, but at a higher resolution. Some of these data suggest that sea levels approached modern around 6,000 years ago, but may have actually exceeded modern sea levels in some regions (i.e., Malacca), but, on average, sea levels have been relatively slow to rise and have been fairly stable for at least the last few thousand years.

Your source:

The first mode lasts roughly from 1880 through 1920, and shows a fairly stable sea level. In fact, the average sea level for this interval is used as the datum (0 on the y axis) for this graph. These data show that sea level has risen an average of 20 cm (200 mm) over the last 80 years. This equates to a sea level rise rate of about 2.5 mm/year for the 80 year interval. If we take another look, including data collected since 2000, NOAA scientists show that the rate might actually be accelerating once again.

edit on 12/7/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Using Breitbart to report science? Well you just discounted your entire OP.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Using Breitbart to report science? Well you just discounted your entire OP.

Debate the data, not the source...

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t
Breitbart and other "skeptical" websites have glommed onto a paper published by Albert Parker (who has published similar papers under the name Alberto Boretti). He has a hard time finding journals in which to publish anymore. Maybe because those who actually do peer review his submissions have said "No, thank you."

As well as co-authoring with a man who thinks magnetism is to blame for climate change, Dr Parker has also been getting help from someone who dismisses the long-established fact that carbon dioxide warms the atmosphere. In 2012, Watson and Boretti co-authored a paper in Energy & Environment - a UK journal known for publishing contrarian papers on climate change. In that paper - The Inconvenient Truth - Ocean level Not Rising in Rising In Australia - the authors thank John O'Sullivan, who says human-caused climate change is a “fraud”.

O'Sullivan has himself been helping another climate science denier Dr Tim Ball in a defamation case brought by Professor Michael Mann. He is also the chief executive of an organisation called Principia Scientific International, of which Alberto Boretti is listed as a member, as is Oliver Manuel and a host of other contrarian scientists. Principia sits among a hardcore of climate science denial, in that it promotes discredited views that carbon dioxide cannot warm the planet.

www.desmogblog.com...

But Parker et al’s 2013 paper absolutely takes the cake, because it’s a prime example of making stuff up. They got caught, which is why one of the authors (M. Lawson) has disavowed the paper and claimed his contribution was almost nil, certainly negligible. In other words, he threw his co-authors under the bus.
tamino.wordpress.com...

Parker/Boretti and Ollier don’t actually have a lot to say about my and Brown’s paper. My guess is: the math was over their heads. Way over.
tamino.wordpress.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I'll pass. Breitbart means that I don't need to listen to what it is saying when it comes to science.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Exactly. There is no need to actually debate anything in this thread. Breitbart is just appealing to the guillible's confirmation bias. Just like they always do.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I'll pass. Breitbart means that I don't need to listen to what it is saying when it comes to science.

In other words, you can't debate the data, so you just resort to attacks on character. Got it.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Tell yourself whatever you want. I just don't believe a word Breitbart says in regards to science. if you want to disprove something with science, use a scientific journal.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

originally posted by: network dude

No.
Your source:

Figure 4.32: Holocene Sea Level curve showing the most recent period of rise and warming. Data is the same as in Figure 4.30, but at a higher resolution. Some of these data suggest that sea levels approached modern around 6,000 years ago, but may have actually exceeded modern sea levels in some regions (i.e., Malacca), but, on average, sea levels have been relatively slow to rise and have been fairly stable for at least the last few thousand years.

Your source:

The first mode lasts roughly from 1880 through 1920, and shows a fairly stable sea level. In fact, the average sea level for this interval is used as the datum (0 on the y axis) for this graph. These data show that sea level has risen an average of 20 cm (200 mm) over the last 80 years. This equates to a sea level rise rate of about 2.5 mm/year for the 80 year interval. If we take another look, including data collected since 2000, NOAA scientists show that the rate might actually be accelerating once again.

Are you disputing that the sea level has been rising for a very long time? I would have thought you of all folks would comprehend some really basic stuff. We have civilizations just off the coast that used to be filled with people, now, they are 20 feet below the sea, and they were ancient civilizations.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Maybe because those who actually do peer review his submissions have said "No, thank you."

The decision to publish or not publish a study is not peer review... it is an editorial decision. Ideally, such decisions are based on completeness of data and apparent knowledge of the parameters surrounding the study.

Peer review is the review of already published studies by others in the industry (peers). It can take the form of an editorial opinion, but more typically is either a verification or refution of the original study published as a new study.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Are you disputing that the sea level has been rising for a very long time?
Yes. Not much at all for the prior 2,000 years. Are you now disputing your own source? Are you still claiming that "sea levels have been rising at a pretty steady pace for about 11,000 years?" Because it doesn't seem to have been very steady. Does it?

We have civilizations just off the coast that used to be filled with people, now, they are 20 feet below the sea, and they were ancient civilizations.
Yes indeed. Some places subside slowly. Earthquakes can do it quickly though.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Are you disputing that the sea level has been rising for a very long time?
Yes. Are you now disputing your own source? Are you still claiming that "sea levels have been rising at a pretty steady pace for about 11,000 years?"

We have civilizations just off the coast that used to be filled with people, now, they are 20 feet below the sea, and they were ancient civilizations.
Yes indeed. Some places subside slowly. Earthquakes can do it quickly.

So when I watch a documentary about archaeologists finding ancient Indian artifacts and homes under the water just off the coast, and they explain how the seas have been rising for thousands of years, I can just assume they are wrong and you are right?

I do realize that finding that information on google without having to somehow tie it to AGW is about impossible, but luckily, some of those guys in the science field work without the agenda at the forefront of all statements.

I guess when the northern hemisphere was filled with glaciers, they #ing evaporated instead of melted. And the water changed state to dirt.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Dwarka?
nileshoak.wordpress.com...

I guess when the northern hemisphere was filled with glaciers, they #ing evaporated instead of melted.
No. That raised sea level quite rapidly.
But when the melt slowed and stopped, so did rising sea levels. Sea levels have not been rising at a pretty steady pace for about 11,000 years. And not much at all over the past 4,000.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   

A link to a falsehood does not make the falsehood less false. I'[m sure the editors would like to think they have total control over the peer review process.

Journals do some review, ideally to weed out the more obviously biased studies, but they do not establish peer review.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join