It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Dinosaur Halszkaraptor. Mix of Duck, Croc, Ostrich and Swan

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

How bout this thing!

Independent

The fossilised remains of a new species of marsupial lion have been found in Australia. The predatory creature, named Wakaleo schouteni, is a relative of modern marsupials – mammals like kangaroos and koalas that keep their young in pouches. It is also closely related to the last surviving species of marsupial lion, Thylacoleo carnifex, which had enormous dagger-like fangs and the strongest bite of any known mammal species.

The scientists who discovered it estimate that it has been extinct for at least 19 million years.

It is also considerably smaller. While at 130 kg the larger marsupial lions could have been a real threat to our ancestors, this new species is around the size of a dog, weighing around 23 kg.

Thylacoleo carnifex (its more modern relative), The "pouch lion" weighed 286 pounds (or the weight of a small lion) ....imagine fighting that #er off with a sharp stick. It also had extremely strong fore limbs, with retractable, cat-like claws, a trait previously unseen in marsupials. Thylacoleo also possessed enormous hooded claws set on large semi opposable thumbs, which were used to capture and disembowel prey. The long muscular tail was similar to that of a kangaroo. Specialized tail bones called chevrons allowed the animal to tripod itself, and freed the front legs for slashing and grasping.

Its strong forelimbs, retracting claws, and incredibly powerful jaws mean it may have been possible for Thylacoleo to climb trees and perhaps to carry carcasses to keep the kill for itself
edit on 7-12-2017 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

That thing looks utterly hilarious! Seuss creation, indeed, and it's even small!

Proof God has a sense of humor!

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 11:59 PM
link   
"If it walks like a duck...err...ostrich, and quacks like...uhhhh...a croc, and goes after small children like a swan...

Then it must be a (not going to even try to pronounce it)...Halszkaraptor! (Halls-ka-raptor, maybe?)

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 04:14 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

That's ... interesting.

I wonder; if new Dinosaurs in the future should be named, will they be named after MP's and PrimeMinisters?

If so the next should be PrimeJDutoniousT aka Primeminister Trudeau.

I went to DrumHeller as a child with my Parents often, good memories.

edit on 8-12-2017 by Sapphire because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I can quite see why it died out, just could not make up its mind.

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 05:38 AM
link   
I've been bit on the ass by a swan.
Left a big purple bruise.
Screw those critters.

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

I disagree, please don't screw them.

They're rare.

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 06:16 AM
link   

When I was a kid, maybe 4-5 years old, I remember my sister bringing me to a park I wanted to go to. It had a lake with big pretty white birds all over. One day she agreed, and once there I trundled over to get a closer look at those big pretty white birds in the water. My brain and thinking process developed significantly in the moments which followed! A number of sequential thoughts popped into my young mind in rapid succession (roughly the span of about 18 seconds).

1. That one bird is swimming over to say "Hi" to me. Cool!"

2. That pretty bird is much larger than I thought, now that it's closer to shore.

3. The bird is every bit as big as me, even bigger with its wings outstretched like that.

4. The bird, while majestic on the water, can also run really fast on land!

5. Aww, I think it wants to give me a hug and a kiss...pretty white bird. I'll hold out my hand for it.

6. Now that he's running even faster, I've realized I can't run nearly as fast backwards as I can forwards.

7. I had no idea those pretty white birds were as big as Ghidorah from the 4:30 after-school monster movies!

(BAP! B-B-B-B-B-BAP, BAP...BAP!! CHOMP! CHOMP!!)

8. I guess I should be okay with only one thumb, but wow, this bird's neck is as big as a fire hydrant and his pretty big white wings feel like sledge hammers!

9. Look Sis, it wants to play! I like to play! (BAP! BAP-B-B-BAP, CHOMP, BAP!!)

10. Hey, Sis...my central nervous system just now informed me that having your thumb partially removed is really quite painful. I'd call out to you to join in the fun with us, but all this hissing from my new bird friend is deafening.

11. Why did that strange man come over and start clobbering my new bird friend with his umbrella? Oww, boy, my thumb really hurts now! Can we go get an ice cream now...or do I need to start bawling first???

Moral - The pretty white birds at the lake are really quite a bit different than the friendly white ducks at the petting zoo. In fact, they're not very friendly at all; they have giant teeth and bite really hard. They run faster than a cheetah, and even though they have no hands they can beat the snot out of you worse than Mom can with her sawed off yard-stick after stealing the cake frosting!

The End.

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

When I was a kid, maybe 4-5 years old, I remember my sister bringing me to a park I wanted to go to. It had a lake with big pretty white birds all over. One day she agreed, and once there I trundled over to get a closer look at those big pretty white birds in the water. My brain and thinking process developed significantly in the moments which followed! A number of sequential thoughts popped into my young mind in rapid succession (roughly the span of about 18 seconds).

1. That one bird is swimming over to say "Hi" to me. Cool!"

2. That pretty bird is much larger than I thought, now that it's closer to shore.

3. The bird is every bit as big as me, even bigger with its wings outstretched like that.

4. The bird, while majestic on the water, can also run really fast on land!

5. Aww, I think it wants to give me a hug and a kiss...pretty white bird. I'll hold out my hand for it.

6. Now that he's running even faster, I've realized I can't run nearly as fast backwards as I can forwards.

7. I had no idea those pretty white birds were as big as Ghidorah from the 4:30 after-school monster movies!

(BAP! B-B-B-B-B-BAP, BAP...BAP!! CHOMP! CHOMP!!)

8. I guess I should be okay with only one thumb, but wow, this bird's neck is as big as a fire hydrant and his pretty big white wings feel like sledge hammers!

9. Look Sis, it wants to play! I like to play! (BAP! BAP-B-B-BAP, CHOMP, BAP!!)

10. Hey, Sis...my central nervous system just now informed me that having your thumb partially removed is really quite painful. I'd call out to you to join in the fun with us, but all this hissing from my new bird friend is deafening.

11. Why did that strange man come over and start clobbering my new bird friend with his umbrella? Oww, boy, my thumb really hurts now! Can we go get an ice cream now...or do I need to start bawling first???

Moral - The pretty white birds at the lake are really quite a bit different than the friendly white ducks at the petting zoo. In fact, they're not very friendly at all; they have giant teeth and bite really hard. They run faster than a cheetah, and even though they have no hands they can beat the snot out of you worse than Mom can with her sawed off yard-stick after stealing the cake frosting!

The End.

Something like that happened to me when I was younger, except there were five or six of the feathery bastards. They just swarmed me for a piece of bread I was holding.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join