It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Republican on GOP tax bill: this is a corporate tax cut, not a middle-class one

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 10:34 PM
link   
The Middle Class pay 6% of the taxes collected by the U.S. Treasury.
www.washingtonexaminer.com/omb-top-20-pay-95-of-taxes-middle-class-single-digits/article/2638746

It would NOT be logical or prudent for a U.S. tax reform bill to make this group the center-piece of its focus.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I have a feeling you haven't read the bill either. Am I right or wrong?

The ones who voted on it didn't get it until a few hours before the vote was put in, hardly enough time to get an idea of what it would do. "We have to pass the bill to see what's in it!" That alone should be enough proof it's a scam.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 11:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Any benifits the middle class realizes from the minuscule tax cut, will be eaten up by inflation. Fuel and food will skyrocket.

I am saving 4-6k a year with this tax cut depending on which version passes. I don't consider that to be 'minuscule'.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 11:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: Metallicus

"We have to pass the bill to see what's in it!" That alone should be enough proof it's a scam.

You are thinking of obamacare

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

I'm thinking of pretty much any bill that's shady as hell.

Good thing they snuck oil drilling provisions into this tax code, even though oil drilling has nothing to do with taxes! Best to send the hundreds of pages long tax code to the voters only a few hours before the vote is finalized! Can't give them enough time to read through it and make an informed decision.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 12:56 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Good thing they snuck oil drilling provisions into this tax code, even though oil drilling has nothing to do with taxes!

Well I had no clue that oil no longer is an industry in which people are employed and pay taxes on.

Best to send the hundreds of pages long tax code to the voters only a few hours before the vote is finalized!

again, obamacare is the situation you are thinking of. it's ok though, I understand you are distressed.

Can't give them enough time to read through it and make an informed decision.
This plan has been written and re-written a couple times over, so anyone that didn't have the time to read it shouldn't be a congressional representative.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deetermined
a reply to: MrPlow

Can you explain to me how doubling the standard deduction for individuals and married couples is NOT a tax cut for the middle class?

I don't need to explain anything to you. This Republican Senator that voted for the bill explains it just fine.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Personally, I'm grateful that Hillary wasn't elected, or every one of us would be looking at a TAX INCREASE right about now.

But that aside, rather than speak in emotional terms, simply go to the updated TAX CALCULATOR and find out what the HOUSE or SENATE Tax-Reform bill will mean for YOUR family.

Here's the Calculator: taxplancalculator.com...

(There's an entire ATS thread on this, but I can't find it. The search term "calculator" renders hundreds of results.)

Suuuurreee....

It kind of blows my mind that here on a conspiracy based forum - you have no cynicism for a random tax calculator website.
It's not a .gov website, first of all. It's simply just a website someone put together with some pre-programmed _javascript.
As a left leaning web developer - I can easily do the same thing and fudge the results in any direction I want and call it "officialtaxcalculator.com" or something.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: MrPlow
House Republican on GOP tax bill: this is a corporate tax cut, not a middle-class one

Republican Rep. Mark Sanford (R-SC) voted for the Republican tax plan, but he says the GOP isn’t telling the truth about what this tax bill is. It isn’t a middle-class tax cut, he said; it’s a corporate one.

Looks like the suckers on the American right bought the lie once again. My question is; when exactly will you people stop buying into the lie that the right gives any sort of #s about the American people?
Did you not learn or remember the lessons we learned from GW?

Have you even READ the Bill?

The largest part of the Bill makes American businesses more competitive by lowering the tax rate on them. Right now they hide their assets off shore and hire less people so they can avoid taxes.

This is a GOOD thing,

Are you asking me or the Republican Senator quoted in the article who actually voted for it?

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

Republican Rep. Mark Sanford (R-SC) voted for the Republican tax plan, but he says the GOP isn’t telling the truth about what this tax bill is. It isn’t a middle-class tax cut, he said; it’s a corporate one.

Looks like the suckers on the American right bought the lie once again. My question is; when exactly will you people stop buying into the lie that the right gives any sort of #s about the American people?

This tax cut will be really awesome, and just think about it, in one year or two, after millions of new jobs are created, and people start to get pay raises because of it, and tax revenues increase because of more are employed and spending, they can work on another tax cut for the regular people. Of course this doesn't make sense for the left because they want everything handed to them immediately with no effort needed on their part.

Again, were you not paying any attention when previous Republican Presidents pulled this "voodoo economics" move?
This scenario literally never happens.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

It's so cute that you actually believe the propaganda.

Under Reagan the rich pocketed the money allowing them to become even more wealthy, the middle class stagnated, the poverty level grew, and it was all capped off by a recession. The same thing happened when Bush went with a similar economic plan.

How's that saying go? The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?
edit on 12/7/2017 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

I was trying to be funny.
I actually don't care much if this tax cut works out or not, I just enjoy seeing the anti-Trump crowd in so much pain over it. And of course this tax cut isn't really Trump's, it's our incompetent congress and senate's for the most part.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   

And that's what's wrong with this country. Let's ignore the fact that this tax plan is based off of a philosophy that has historically only benefited the rich while screwing overt everyone else. Instead let's cheer it on because the other side hates it.

It's this exact brand of political tribalism that the Founding Fathers were trying to avoid when they advocated for no political parties. People no longer care about what is best for the country. They instead care about what their party tells them to care about while at the same time trying to make the other side as mad as possible.

Absolutely disgusting.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Personally, on the list of things that are of importance in my life, taxes ranks pretty low. I don't care. Raise my taxes if you want. Lower them if you want. I'll file in late March and cut a check if I owe any more than was withheld.

I don't care if my taxes are raised and it's used to provide free or extremely low cost healthcare to the poor or to illegal immigrants. Fine by me. This obsession with money by people who have plenty of it is just bizarre to me. I'm certainly not rich, but we live comfortably on a dual income of around $120k. two cars, home, acre of land, vacation each year.

I had to look up last year's taxes just to see how much we made. I really couldn't tell you what I make per year without looking it up. I have no idea what we pay in health, dental, and vision insurance. Don't really care. I don't keep a ledger of my checking account. It's just money and I'm neither motivated by it nor addicted to it.

What I do care about if screwing those who are least able to deal with a tax increase, in favor if those who it really doesn't impact at all. It's just effing money. Even to say that if my taxes were to go down, and subsequently it led to poor people getting less of a return, I would not ever be accepting of that as good for anyone.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: usernameconspiracy

Personally, on the list of things that are of importance in my life, taxes ranks pretty low. I don't care. Raise my taxes if you want. Lower them if you want. I'll file in late March and cut a check if I owe any more than was withheld.

To me this is a reason people are so partisan. We have completely different priorities when it comes to Government. I consider taxes to be an evil of an overreaching Federal Government and it makes me angry every time I have to pay them to fund wars and pay off sexual assault victims.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Have you even READ the Bill?

The largest part of the Bill makes American businesses more competitive by lowering the tax rate on them. Right now they hide their assets off shore and hire less people so they can avoid taxes.

This is a GOOD thing,

Republicans haven't even read it, either. 'Holy crap': Experts find tax plan riddled with glitches

Others would have unintended results, like a last-minute decision by the Senate to keep the alternative minimum tax, which was designed to make sure wealthy people and corporations don't escape taxes altogether. For many businesses, that would nullify the value of a hugely popular break for research and development expenses.

Some provisions are so vaguely written they leave experts scratching their heads, like a proposal to begin taxing the investment earnings of rich private universities’ endowments. The legislation doesn’t explain what’s considered an endowment, and some colleges have more than 1,000 accounts.

In many cases, Republicans are giving taxpayers little time to adjust to sometimes major changes in policy. An entirely new international tax regime, one experts are still trying to parse, would go into effect Jan. 1, only days after lawmakers hope to push the plan through Congress.

“The more you read, the more you go, ‘Holy crap, what’s this?'” said Greg Jenner, a former top tax official in George W. Bush’s Treasury Department. “We will be dealing with unintended consequences for months to come because the bill is moving too fast.”

See how the Senate left the AMT in... at 20% - the same as the the corporate rate they lowered.

Thing is, corporations can't take any deductions to get below that 20% AMT, and they have to pay the higher between the corporate tax rate and the AMT.

IE: They're going to be paying a flat 20% with NO deductions possible, unless they take out the AMT in conference.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

And that's what's wrong with this country. Let's ignore the fact that this tax plan is based off of a philosophy that has historically only benefited the rich while screwing overt everyone else. Instead let's cheer it on because the other side hates it.

It's this exact brand of political tribalism that the Founding Fathers were trying to avoid when they advocated for no political parties. People no longer care about what is best for the country. They instead care about what their party tells them to care about while at the same time trying to make the other side as mad as possible.

Absolutely disgusting.

I don't agree though. Everyone is always jumping on the bandwagon that conservative tax plans like Reagan's were bad because they benefited the rich as well, but I was there when it happened, and the economy began to really boom and take off like it was on a mission, and people started getting really good jobs me included. Carter couldn't even improve a single thing with any economic thing, just like Obama. Notwithstanding the political tribalism which is likely something we can never escape from with our current systems in place and entrenched, short of some catastrophe sending us back to the stone age.

And now we finally have a president who wants to make actual and real improvements to the economy, but since Hillary lost, the media and half the brainwashed population wants to just piss it away with witch hunts, and wild goose chases, and whatever other monkey wrenches can be mustered to throw into the wheels of real progress, because it is Trump doing it instead of their own pick for leader of America.

The real enemy isn't the people themselves as much as it is the media giants and the big bucks behind all the so called deep state mischief and treasonous players behind the scenes. Hopefully these real enemies of liberty will cannibalize themselves into oblivion just in time for we the people to start enjoying being Americans again.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 02:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: kurthall
a reply to: MrPlow

Yes and Trump is setting us up for a much greater DEFICIT! MAGA....Muller Ain't Going Away!

actually...he can since his team is so partisan but wont because he is a useful distraction. this is political. T wont get a day in jail.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join