It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sen. Al Franken will resign, Democratic official says

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Sen. Al Franken will resign, Democratic official says

Updated: 4:24 p.m. | Posted: 3:50 p.m.

A Democratic official who has spoken to Al Franken and key aides says Franken will resign his Minnesota Senate seat on Thursday, the official tells MPR News.

The official spoke to Franken and separately to Franken's staff. A staff member told the official that Franken had gone to his Washington home to discuss his plans with family.

click link for entire article..

This comes on the heels of several female Democratic Senators who called for him to resign today.
Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand
Sen. Maggie Hassan
Sen. Claire McCaskill
Sen. Mazie Hirono
Sen. Patty Murray
Sen. Kamala Harris

It is going to be an interesting time in politics these next couple of years.

After MPR News reported the planned resignation, a tweet from Franken's official account said it was "not accurate."

"No final decision has been made and the senator is still talking with his family," the tweet read. twitter.com...

Me still thinks its a done deal.
edit on 6-12-2017 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Well, he has announced a press conference, so unless he's going to waste everyone's time and apologize...he's gonna resign.

Frankly, he's small potatoes, I want to see all the folks that got NDAs and used the secret hush fund.

Right, left or independent...the guys that used that vehicle, need to be jailed and pay us our money back.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Well, he has announced a press conference, so unless he's going to waste everyone's time and apologize...he's gonna resign.

Frankly, he's small potatoes, I want to see all the folks that got NDAs and used the secret hush fund.

Right, left or independent...the guys that used that vehicle, need to be jailed and pay us our money back.

Completely agree.

The Republican who used that fund to pay off his accusers announced he would pay the money back himself.

Given how many millionaires we have in Congress it tells me the people are still paying for it. We need a law that forbids the use of public money to pay settlements in situations like this.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Sincere question:
Why are so many politicians and Hollywood persons afflicted with predatory perversion??

I’m acrually curious...
Are predators drawn to these industries or are they created by the industries??
Personally I would never run for public office nor would I work in show business...
So I’m thinking it’s the chicken and not the egg...
But who knows...

Anyhow, Franken accusers are lining up and he will not be the last politician to fall from grace...

-Chris

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I really like it when Dems eat their own.

Guess it was more than just 'attempted kiss'.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Christosterone
Sincere question:
Why are so many politicians and Hollywood persons afflicted with predatory perversion??

I’m acrually curious...
Are predators drawn to these industries or are they created by the industries??
Personally I would never run for public office nor would I work in show business...
So I’m thinking it’s the chicken and not the egg...
But who knows...

Anyhow, Franken accusers are lining up and he will not be the last politician to fall from grace...

-Chris

The ego must be continually fed one way or another. When it runs out of a fuel source it finds another.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

Power and the mindset that what they are doing wont be challenged or wont be prosecuted. The power to control someone else to the extent you can do whatever you want to them and get away with it.

"Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely".

When you have the resources of the Federal government behind you coupled with the stigma that people who are sexually assaulted / abused someone brought it on themselves what would you do? Its no different than a prostitute all of a sudden becoming a questionable witness as to what she / he saw based solely on the fact they are a prostitute. As if prostitution affects a person ability to identify and recall what they witnesses.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Frankly the industry diminishes boundaries. I was in the industry, mostly print and runway for 18 years...people are so desirous for fame they do anything to make it...sure there's natural born predators, but the proclivity to sexually harass is also nurtured in many ways...even tiny catalog based towns...my daughter will not follow my footsteps while I have anything to say about it.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

Power and the mindset that what they are doing wont be challenged or wont be prosecuted. The power to control someone else to the extent you can do whatever you want to them and get away with it.

"Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely".

When you have the resources of the Federal government behind you coupled with the stigma that people who are sexually assaulted / abused someone brought it on themselves what would you do? Its no different than a prostitute all of a sudden becoming a questionable witness as to what she / he saw based solely on the fact they are a prostitute. As if prostitution affects a person ability to identify and recall what they witnesses.

I don’t believe in being corrupted...
The amount of opportunity [and power] is inconsequential...
I have been married for decades and have never spent an inappropriate moment in all those years...not a single millisecond...

The idea a person can become corrupted is moral relativism which is anathema to anyone who follows their humanity’s genetically programmed morality...
Aka a moralist...

No circumstance exists wherein I would be perversely predatory...
This should be the case for every human unless afflicted by an abhorrent psychological condition(narcissism, sociopathy, etc)...

-Chris

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   

It's abit hokey, but apt. Oh, and I do love this tune.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Republicans seem to reward their predators, like Trump and Moore, at least democrats have some moral base

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Having a hard time deciding which is more important between evidence and allegation?

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   

and you arent the people in question. trying to make a distinction using your own moral standards and then projecting them on others is problematic.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

Republicans seem to reward their predators, like Trump and Moore, at least democrats have some moral base

Really? Given how many years certain Democrats have been doing this, like Weinstein and Bill Clinton, and given the number of people who knew about it and said nothing, undermines the moral high ground are are trying to falsely claim.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

I met Aaron tippin in austin twice...

But allen Collins, Jimmy page and Toy Caldwell saw my love affair with gibsons begin...
Allen Collins blew Richards out of England with this performance...

-Chris

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Really? Given how many years certain Democrats have been doing this, like Weinstein and Bill Clinton, and given the number of people who knew about it and said nothing, undermines the moral high ground are are trying to falsely claim.

Yeah Really!

What is happening right now speaks for itself, republicans are rallying around a likely rapist of teenage girls in Moore not just a groper, with the Groper in chief Trump leading the way.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Funny how this came out, then Franken's office put out a statement saying the report was false and he hasn't decided yet.

Those leaks and fake news suck when you're the target of it don't they?

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Here’s the good news for the Franken fans....

Now he can run for President...as Bill Clinton 2.0

-Chris

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Yeah Really!

What is happening right now speaks for itself, republicans are rallying around a likely rapist of teenage girls in Moore not just a groper, with the Groper in chief Trump leading the way.

and in this country an allegation is not a conviction. We use a court of law and not a court of public opinion in case you forgot that.

If someone comes forward with a claim it has to be supported with evidence.

Moore ran in 5 different elections in his time and only now did it come up?

Why?

Also way to deflect from my point.
You cant claim the moral high ground by ignoring crimes Democrats have admitted to committing.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   

I have condemned Franken numerous times. Unlike many, I don’t just condemn the side I might favor politically

I have also never said he should step down.

I have never said Moore should not run, though I believe he did what those woman said he did

top topics

<<   2 >>

join