It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harvard Business School professor: Half of American colleges will be bankrupt in 10 to 15 years

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   
According to a Harvard Professor, many US colleges will be bankrupt due to rising costs:

There are over 4,000 colleges and universities in the United States, but Harvard Business School professor Clayton Christensen says that half are bound for bankruptcy in the next few decades.

Online University will be more popular due to it being more cheaper:

In his recent book, "The Innovative University," Christensen and co-author Henry Eyring analyze the future of traditional universities, and conclude that online education will become a more cost-effective way for students to receive an education, effectively undermining the business models of traditional institutions and running them out of business.

While initially he stated that colleges will be bankrupt in 10 to 15 years he changed his time span to 9 years:

More recently, he doubled down on his statements, telling 1,500 attendees at Salesforce.org's Higher Education Summit, "If you're asking whether the providers get disrupted within a decade — I might bet that it takes nine years rather than 10."

www.cnbc.com...

While I agree that rising costs play a role, I also blame the rise of the SJW movement. In fact, after the Evergreen college SJW fiasco, Lawmakers ended up cutting down funding for Evergreen. If colleges do not do anything about the SJW situation, then they won't last long in the long term.

edit on 12/6/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Yeah college has pretty much become a joke these days. With extortionate fees for lack luster education, The writing is on the wall. Also, as you mentioned with the advent of the SJW movement, it has pretty much ruined the appeal of going to a top college.

In the words of Rick Sanchez, school isn't a place for smart people.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I think a nice big round of defunding will also spur this on, atleast I hope so. There are a lot of these schools that shouldn't get a dime of taxpayer money.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   
So how do you figure when school cost less than 10% of what it costs today for the average student, that they weren't going bankrupt?

How has the cost of running a university gone up?
Maybe they're just paying their top staff too much.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   
The Universities will eventually just be for kids from the wealthy elite families; it's almost that way now.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Maybe a little drastic to say half but I wouldn't be surprised if a decent amount are forced to declare bankruptcy. Economists have been saying for a while now that Education is going to be the next big bubble. And every bubble has to pop at some point.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

And my guess would be that more of tthe elites kids will go overseas for an education.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Why have costs gone up?
They don't pay taxes.
They rape kids on tuition and housing.

Overpaid teachers is all that's left.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
So how do you figure when school cost less than 10% of what it costs today for the average student, that they weren't going bankrupt?

How has the cost of running a university gone up?
Maybe they're just paying their top staff too much.

Their use as training system for professional sports might be part of it.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

In 39 states the highest paid public employee is either a football or basketball coach. But sure, let's place the blame on how much teachers get paid.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Those football and basketball coaches bring million to those schools.
They get paid those large salaries for a reason.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

Sadly, that is true. In fact, where I go to college, while it has terrible infrastructure, (Broken elevators, less parking for everyone., sh**** classrooms in some places etc.), expensive textbooks and rising tuition, the college administration's pay check is growing.

Meanwhile, all the students did is block a nearby Freeway and pull fire alarms when Trump got elected.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   

And without those teachers there would be no school for those coaches to ply their trade.

Adjunct professors now account for over 3/4 of all faculty positions in this country. The average salary for an adjunct? About $20,000 a year. Still think it's the overpaid teachers?
edit on 12/6/2017 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   
All those pointless liberal arts classes they force students to take definitely ratchet up the cost. I remember a radio ad for a local technical school where the guy asked rhetorically, "How's Shakespeare going to help me break into IT?" It was an excellent point. For the most part, those classes exist to make work for professors, and to offer opportunity to mold new SJWs.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

I sure don't blame the sports programs.
You tell me where the money goes.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

You have a point. In fact a lot of students are complaining why are we taking pointless classes like women studies (No I am not attacking women. I am a strong supporter of women rights. I am attacking Radical Feminists)

In fact the only other extra classes that should be allowed is history and I don't mean PC history.
edit on 12/6/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   

I don't blame the sports programs either. I was just pointing out how dumb it is to try to blame the underpaid and overworked teachers when there's people on staff that are making millions. While I don't agree that coaches need to make so much I will also argue that there is probably more waste stemming from the pay and actions of the admin. That's where the focus should be initially be placed.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Its time for it all go to online anyways. It costs like 1/100000th the price per credit. Okay, I might be slightly exaggerating.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Cost.

That is the reason for the change.

Doesn't matter why or how.

It will always be about money.

Everyone goes to College now. 1+Trillion in student loan debt.

I believe there are core jobs that required extended education past High School. Feel free to name them.

However, if Jack or Jill want to be and office manager, on line courses will provide the same education without the extreme cost of all the goes into going to college (with room and board just being the tip of that cost Ice Berg).

Most businesses in America that had training budgets in the 70's and 80's or offered OJT, cut those from their costs in order to have a better bottom line on profits. They started defaulting to College educated folks to fill jobs that do not require a 4 year degree. That is the beginning of the problem. Mix in that colleges saw the huge upturns in the 90's and beyond so they saw their money intake surge.

Lower paying technical jobs are vanishing as no one goes to school to be a machinist, plumber or carpenter anymore. Car mechanic classes have been cut from most High Schools. Some states are trying to re-establish these types of needed schooling classes again because of the market needing them. Not everyone gets to be doctors, lawyers or rock stars. America was built on the backs of the hard working middle class.

Now, you have the internet and access everywhere. Why would you ever need to set foot in a class room again? Why would you need to pay room and board to go to college? Why pay huge tuition fees?

On line schooling is the way to go. High school education at home using provided curriculum is next.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

I learned from my time in college that its simply just a business. They raised tuition on my every single year I was in college and even took money out of my college card because I didn't take it out in time. My money was sent to pay for college football player lunches already having a free ride.

College football and basketball couches are the highest paid public employees in bout 48 states.

Yes, the college system is broken with useless degrees and pushing cultural Marxism. Time to start pushing community College and independent tech schools without a sports program.

They deserve to go bankrupt

top topics

<<   2 >>

join