It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OP/ED: The New ATSNN

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Thanks for the compliment Duze - you and Grady are both great - and I quite enjoy your writing. ...I do think we have a fine foundation to build on here...

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
The Ironic Quote Of The Day

Originally posted by Gools
I have the impression (especially lately) that there are far more politically "conservative" people around here than free thinkers.

An interesting -- and false -- dichotomy, and a hands-down winner for Ironic Quote Of The Day.

Your implication is that those who choose to agree with conservative principles are not doing so freely.

Should they be forced to agree with non-conservative principles instead?

Is that “free thinking”?

By your own bizarre definition, you are a "conservative".

Congratulations – I suppose.

The Nature Of Tyranny

Originally posted by Gools
Like in "democracy" tyranny of the majority could be a problem.

It will only be a problem if “free thinkers” successfully manage to shout down those who hold differing opinions.

While there have been threats of this, ATS appears to be bearing up remarkably well, despite a seemingly never-ending supply of brainwashed trolls posting the same old partisan garbage to the threads day in and day out.

Like any good marketplace, this marketplace of ideas offers variety, even for those who despise it.

I suggest taking advantage of it. You might like the taste of new ideas now and then.

Heck, you might even enjoy a side dish of conservative thought now and then – although I personally recommend a varied diet low in partisan fat-headedness.

The only true tyranny is the tyranny of self-deception.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic

This does not show much empathy for slaves, people living with daily abuse in fear of their lives or citizens of the most oppressive/oppressed states.

I hope you never posted supporting the "liberation from tyranny" excuse presented by the Bush administration for the invasion of Iraq.

[edit on 13-2-2005 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar

Originally posted by Majic

This does not show much empathy for slaves, people living with daily abuse in fear of their lives or citizens of the most oppressive/oppressed states.

Then of course, there are the information and education deprived. But "blaming the victims" is official policy these days...

...while the price of everything just keeps going up and up - and the cost of integrity cancels out the price of survival, far too often. Sad times.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
That's been sometime ago. I was an ATSNN Reporter before the change, but getting it all right was a challenge that I struggled to meet and felt some sense of pride in when I finally started having some success. I was really bowled over when I was asked to be a reporter, but that's another story.

Thanks for the compliment.

I misunderstood you, and thought that you were having problems with the new system. Oops. You should feel pride in deciding to improve yourself, and then actually going and doing something about it. It shows strong character, self-control and perseverance.

Originally posted by soficrow
Thanks for the compliment Duze - you and Grady are both great - and I quite enjoy your writing. ...I do think we have a fine foundation to build on here...

Thank you in return soficrow.

You are both very welcome, and most deserving of the original compliments.

I believe in giving credit where credit is due, and I never underestimate the power of an honestly given compliment. I recently had someone tell me that I have changed how they see themselves, and have profoundly impacted their life, simply by giving them praise they deserved. This nearly made me cry, I was so moved. It takes so little to give someone acknowledgement for a job well done, yet we do it so little.

[edit on 13-2-2005 by Duzey]

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey

I believe in giving credit where credit is due, and I never underestimate the power of an honestly given compliment. ...It takes so little to give someone acknowledgement for a job well done, yet we do it so little.

Excellent point. We seem to have the "criticism" angle covered very well here at ATS - but need to brush up on our positive reinforcement skills.

...IMO - the voting system for articles kind of does that, in a good way. ...A hard plan and system to develop but overall I think a great move.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrowThen of course, there are the information and education deprived. But "blaming the victims" is official policy these days....

I assume you are referring to how the United States has been "blamed" for the war on terror, when actually we were the victims. I agree with you completely. There are many here who would be afraid to state a fact such as this on this board, so kudos to you.

However, due to the overall leftist lean of this board, I fail to see how this change can do anything but push an already left leaning ATSNN to the salon.com arena. When I joined here I had hoped to see ATSNN really go somewhere. Too bad really.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seth Bullock
However, due to the overall leftist lean of this board, I fail to see how this change can do anything but push an already left leaning ATSNN to the salon.com arena. When I joined here I had hoped to see ATSNN really go somewhere. Too bad really.

It's funny how two different people can look at the same thing and see it in a completely different light. Perhaps I am drawn to different subjects than you, but it seems to me that ATSNN reflects a pretty good balance between right & left. Conservative viewpoints come through loud and clear. I guess some of my own submissions have taken an anti-Big Gov't stance, but this in itself is a Conservative ideal.

We'll have to wait and see how the balance is affected by the new format...

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seth Bullock

Originally posted by soficrowThen of course, there are the information and education deprived. But "blaming the victims" is official policy these days....

I assume you are referring to how the United States has been "blamed" for the war on terror,

No. I was talking mainly about "Personal Responsibility in Health" policies that blame the victims for having symptoms of epidemic infectious diseases.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join