It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Culture under attack: Harvard dis-embowls Fraterities and Sororities.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: TheJesuit

I'm watching the fall of established order. Shaking my head in disbelief.

You really are. By attacking the Greeks, the Universities are dismantling the social institutions of their wealty elite Alumni and their kids, (if any) going to those schools. They are dismantling the social structures of the WASP elites that basically provided the financial capital to build the corporations and financial institutions that built the country. The Rockefellers, Morgans, etc.

This is less an attack on soft targets than it is a soft revolution. What I find disturbing about this is that while the Revolutionaries can dismantle the societies they cant confiscate the underlying wealth. By attacking the social institutions, they are undermining any social mechanisms that would tend to create a Loyal weaalthy class. Without that loyalty to the Nation, the wealthy will increasingly become "helicopter" elites less inclined to invest in the US.

By the same token, the new Elites are more aligned along identity politics lines where social and financial success is more dependent upon group identity. They likewise will harbor little in the way of "loyalty" to the nation and its institutions than they will toward the group they identify with.

This portends the final step in the total hollowing out of the "nation state".

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
The Rockefellers, Morgans, etc.

Morgan went to school in Germany and Rockefeller went to business school for 10 weeks.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I think you know I am talking about their descendants. And the Hamptons crowd's children.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

My point was those two didn't need a frat to crush it in business.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Just wanted to clarify that I can speak for myself. As can other members.

That's why I made the edit. And no worries I didn't even make the edit till you replied to me that last time.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I really enjoyed dating sorority chicks. They always had nice cars, money to burn and enjoyed the high life.

Let those children boogie woogie!!
edit on 6-12-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   
This will just push the "Greek" organizations off campus and/or "undgerground" so to speak.

There will always be a club that is exclusive and that you have to endure some process to join as well as help support financially.

Somewhat on topic, trying to regulate these for SAFETY reasons is a good thing as no one sends their children off to college to die in a pledging process or a drug induced rape session.

Don't succumb to the ideas the EVERY frat or sorority is populated by wealthy and/or elite politician children as that is not true. Its also not true that ALL frats and sororities put their pledges in harms way.

Some of my best and lifetime friendships were made in just such a venue and none of them are wealthy offspring of the elite or political population of America and we did not endure any kind of life threatening danger as pledges.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

You do realize how hard it is to argue against the concept of diversity of ideas?

You're right: as long as this stays at Harvard, an attempt to implement a new solution can be considered a good thing. I still think it is a bad idea, but maybe Harvard can prove me wrong and regain some respect in my eyes.

Lord knows, they need to... I will happily eat crow if they manage to achieve desirable results.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   

The only problem with what you mention here is it is common for people to drink a lot in college. It's newsworthy when 1 or a few people from group X do something stupid. But not as much when a group of non affiliated friends do the very same.

Your point is very moot.

Yup, they should go because of the negative press that you hear right? How much press do you hear about the good they do? Do you realize how much good some do for the community and school... Ours directly supported the red cross and fallen soldiers foundation. But yes they should go because Animal House right?

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   

The only problem with what you mention here is it is common for people to drink a lot in college. It's newsworthy when 1 or a few people from group X do something stupid. But not as much when a group of non affiliated friends do the very same.

Your point is very moot.

Yup, they should go because of the negative press that you hear right? How much press do you hear about the good they do? Do you realize how much good some do for the community and school... Ours directly supported the red cross and fallen soldiers foundation. But yes they should go because Animal House right?

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Hmm. I joined a sorority in college. It was a great social outlet, and I had fun. I also had people to go to for tutoring, advice, and had a “home away from home”. We were philanthropic, too. I’ve been a volunteer most of my adult life, and learned the importance of it when I was in college. My daughter joined a sorority when she was in college, and she thrived (unfortunately she didn’t pledge mine, haha). There are always a few bad apples in any group. Those get the attention, and hence the bad reps.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheJesuit
I'm watching the fall of established order. Shaking my head in disbelief.

Live long enough and everything you grew up with gets dismantled and inverted.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   

I say good riddance to them.

I got my reasons.

They make crappy leaders first off. Out of touch with normal thinking people.

I think you might have tradition mixed up with culture. Or I could.

small hurdle.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Fraternities will Always Exist in America , this Wuess and his 5 Minutes of Alleged Fame Will see the Truth of that Real Soon.....

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheJesuit

Im watching my Country slowly bend down on its knees.

Maybe we're just growing up.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: GraffikPleasure

Your point is very moot.

Lol seeing as my wife is a professor and I am a wrestling coach I think I have a handle on it.

Most people just drinking don't have dangerous pledging routines.

So. No. It's not moot.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 04:11 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

originally posted by: GraffikPleasure

Your point is very moot.

Lol seeing as my wife is a professor and I am a wrestling coach I think I have a handle on it.

Most people just drinking don't have dangerous pledging routines.

So. No. It's not moot.

Glad that you addressed what I said and you feel as a superior expert on the matter.

How much good have you heard about them? I'm sure none.

I was in a fraternity... Does that make me an expert on the situation? No, but I did live through it. Have you experienced it? Going through stupid enrichment activities the school forced you to go through, doing 72 community service hours a semester, holding most jobs on campus, the list goes on my friend.
edit on 5-1-2018 by GraffikPleasure because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

Fraternities will Always Exist in America , this Wuess and his 5 Minutes of Alleged Fame Will see the Truth of that Real Soon.....

Chances are they will find a way to continue tradition and go underground. It is all about helping your "brother/sister" and share the profits. Their loyaltiy lies with the brother/ sisterhood first and somewhere last the constitution. A fraternity can end up becoming a secret society... worse a criminal rganisation with members who know how to surf the legislations of a nation. Members will help eachother to the highest levels in government and industry... (are any bells ringing yet?). Before you know it you will have a criminal organisation with the resources of a nation.

PS Did not a few US presidents not warn the population for such things to happen..?

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join