It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible Social Engineering in United States Television Commercials

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 03:40 AM
link   
A conspiracy minded and paranoid friend of mine had pointed out an observation he made to me about the demographic make-up of television commercials I hadn’t noticed before. That was the apparent lack of pre-teenaged white males. I thought he was just spouting off some delusional or even racist preconceptions even though it seemed apparent to me that there was a disconnect between actual US demographics and the races portrayed on TV commercials. After finally paying attention to TV commercials it seems he had made a valid observation as there were very few pre-teen whites males represented. Lately though there are more preteen white males appearing in commercials, it was quite noticeable for at least the past year I’ve been paying attention. It should be noted that this observation didn’t apply as much or at all to locally produced advertising compared to those produced for the national market.

Not being knowledgeable about how demographics were figured into TV commercials I had at least understood that many commercials are aimed at certain groups considered market targets. It can be pretty certain you’re not going to see many men in a commercial for feminine hygiene products for example. For whatever reasoning it cannot be denied that the racial makeup of TV commercials is not representative of actual numbers in the U.S. population. The market targets will be different for any give product, time slot, or network to be sure, but my conspiracy bent mind tends to think that there is something going on that goes beyond marketing considerations. It seems to me that blacks, mixed race families, gay couples and even Muslims were being over represented in TV commercials. The people producing advertising are not targeting based on population figures alone, but does that sell more or is something else going on?

Online searches brought up a number of older studies, but seems that little information is available for the reasoning behind the market mixes portrayed in current TV commercials. If as wide an audience as possible is what advertisers are going for, I struggle to make since of that even. Wouldn’t advertisers want to target the most common marketing demographic with the most money to spend on their product or service?

I first thought that perhaps the progressive left was attempting to influence the TV audience to help advance their social engineering agenda. I would assume that most commercials produced for national distribution would be made in Hollywood or at least in the major metropolitan regions and so be influenced by the population demographics or progressive attitudes found in those areas. Another conspiracy angle might implicate a deep state attempt at social engineering as well. However I have noticed that Asians and Latinos are severely under represented in advertising which seems to indicate the idea that social engineering is not the major factor here, but there is enough of other groups portrayed to assume that it might be.

I should point out that although I’ve given consideration to doing a long detailed study of prime time TV commercials and comparing them to real life demographics, I don’t have the time or inclination to do so therefore I don’t have more to offer than my personal observations. Also I tend to try and ignore commercials as much as possible but that may actually be helping to implant an agenda other than marketing into my subconscious mind.
edit on 6-12-2017 by MichiganSwampBuck because: typo

edit on 6-12-2017 by MichiganSwampBuck because: another typo

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 03:46 AM
link   
People still watch commercials ??
Maybe it's just me but I watch everything online.
When a commercial comes on I skip it if I have the option , if not then I mute the sound.
I haven't watched or even heard a commercial in years.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 03:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
When a commercial comes on I skip it if I have the option , if not then I mute the sound.

That is a valid point. Perhaps commercials are being aimed at lower income demographics that actually watch more broadcast programming like I do.

I will admit that commercials are far more entertaining these days than they used to be.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Honestly I think you are overcomplicating something that is ultimately pretty simple. As scraed points out, watching commercials is no longer a mandatory part of watching television. As such this has led to advertisers doing anything, and everything, to catch your eye long enough to make you watch them in the first place. Since the "face of the country" is changing it seems reasonable that the faces on television would change too...

That, or young white males just don't have the drive at that age to get into the acting business through commerical work like they used too...

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 03:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Thorneblood

More good points for consideration. Thanks for the input.

ETA: Pre-teenaged white males aren't really the focus here and to be certain they are being purposefully ignored, a study of older commercials would be necessary.

edit on 6-12-2017 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added an extra comment

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 04:07 AM
link   

That, or young white males just don't have the drive at that age to get into the acting business through commerical work like they used too...

If you made that statement about blacks or latinos.... you would be a racist.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 04:11 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I guess, though I wouldn't do that. Generally i get the sense that if youre young and black/latino then you already have a bit of a leg up on the competition given the national climate these days. It'd be silly not to take advantage of the oppurtunity if you wanted to enter that line of work....which i think most young white males no longer find interesting for some reason. Possibly because all the young white girls took those jobs away a decade ago...which again fit the national climate at the time.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 04:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thorneblood
a reply to: butcherguy

I guess, though I wouldn't do that. Generally i get the sense that if youre young and black/latino then you already have a bit of a leg up on the competition given the national climate these days. It'd be silly not to take advantage of the oppurtunity if you wanted to enter that line of work....which i think most young white males no longer find interesting for some reason. Possibly because all the young white girls took those jobs away a decade ago...which again fit the national climate at the time.

More good points to be sure, but I imagine that casting calls determine the demographic makeup of the commercials that get produced. Like I said, Latinos and Asians are severely under represented these days.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Wouldn’t advertisers want to target the most common marketing demographic with the most money to spend on their product or service?

Well... yeah.

it seems he had made a valid observation as there were very few pre-teen whites males represented

Ive never really considered pre-teens to be the ones controlling the purse strings. I suppose white pre-teens are going to be the majority in their age group.

One thing I've noticed (and I'm probably wrong) is the overabundance of black people in commercials. It seems like for making up a pretty small percentage of the population there certainly are a TON of black folks in commercials. I don't care, it's just something I've noticed. I suppose it makes more sense to hit that demographic and all the others that don't care about race. Really the only people that's pissing off are assholes anyway.

If you want to sell something that's a more white guy thing, like trucks, use white guys. If you want to sell something thats going to be something a woman responds to better, use a woman (who as I understand actually control the purse strings in this country), if you want to sell anything else use a black couple since you hit pretty much every demographic except for racists.

However I have noticed that Asians and Latinos are severely under represented in advertising which seems to indicate that the idea that social engineering is not the major factor here

I'm sort of amazed by the lack of Asians in advertising and film. I suppose I live in an area with a high concentration of Asian folks. Agree hispanics aren't particularly well represented, especially considering the numbers. Do think that hispanics are more represented, and getting more and more recognition, which makes perfect sense.

I don't think it's social engineering. I think it's all about the dollar with advertising. If an ad company is pitching an ad, I don't think for a second there's any altruism involved. They're wanting the most impact per person. So lets think about this. The best option is to use "white acting" black people in ads. Most people don't have a problem with black people, those that do a little bit won't if they seem like they could be neighbors. Other ethnicities see something other than white people, and think the company is progressive and accepting, even reaching out to them. Basically that nets you everyone except for outright racists, which are a rather small chunk of the population.

I'd like to actually see some stats on this whole thing. Percentages of races used in advertising in the US, gender, age, other crap, not a lot of gays (because there aren't a lot of gay folks in comparison and it's still taboo in some markets). I'm sure white people are going to be in far more, but I doubt that the percentages are going to mirror the population.

-----

I don't really watch commercials anymore. Don't have cable or use the antenna (not because I have a problem with either). Just Netflix, buy seasons of shows I like and whatnot. I might be completely off.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 04:21 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Well, times are changing and I think advertisers are recognizing they need to appeal to a wider audience instead of the typical white family. I've been seeing more mixed marriage couples, black families, Latinos and other races being represented in commercials. All is good. Advertisers are just reflecting the social diversity in our country.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 04:22 AM
link   
I have been considering starting a thread on the demographics of television commercials. There are a number of things of note other than what you alluded to in your OP.

Nearly 50% of actors in recent TV commercials are black even though they only represent 12.5% of the population. Interracial couples are appearing at astounding rates. White males only appear in commercials as the objects of ridicule and and the butt of jokes.

I haven’t had time to finish all of my research, but I have a lot of data I have been gathering. These are just a few of the things to notice that are happening right now.

Anyway, there is definitely social engineering happening. In fact, when asked people seriously overestimated the diversity of our nation and many attribute this to what we see on TV.

We still are a 70%+ white nation with blacks at about 12.5% and Hispanics about 12%.

edit on 2017/12/6 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 04:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Nearly 50% of actors in recent TV commercials are black even though they only represent 12.5%of the population. Interracial couples are appearing at astounding rates. White males only appear in commercials as the object of ridicule and stupidity.

Yeah, I noticed those things for sure, esp. the white male father figure who can't seem to tie his shoe without the wife or kids having to take care of him. Worse yet, he screws things up that have to get fixed by his wife.

ETA: I'd like to see your research if or when you get it done. I feel bad I never did much research yet, but felt it was worth getting out there.
edit on 6-12-2017 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added an extra comment

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 04:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

All good points and pretty much the same ideas I've had except when the conspiracy devil popped up on my shoulder and started talking into my ear.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 04:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I have been considering starting a thread on the demographics of television commercials. There are a number of things of note other than what you alluded to in your OP.

Nearly 50% of actors in recent TV commercials are black even though they only represent 12.5% of the population. Interracial couples are appearing at astounding rates. White males only appear in commercials as the objects of ridicule and and the butt of jokes.

I haven’t had time to finish all of my research, but I have a lot of data I have been gathering. These are just a few of the things to notice that are happening right now.

Anyway, there is definitely social engineering happening. In fact, when asked people seriously overestimated the diversity of our nation and many attribute this to what we see on TV.

We still are a 70%+ white nation with blacks at about 12.5% and Hispanics about 12%.

I have absolutely noticed the trend, in commercials, toward showing females as the brighter and more "together" of a couple...and the male as being dumb or slightly confused.

There is a series of five or six commercials currently running, from Ford, that shows the female (for each couple) as being more inquiring, decisive and assertive. At the end of each commercial, when she decides what car they will buy, she gets behind the wheel to drive...and the male quietly slides into the passenger seat. If this outcome was evenly split between the commercials, I would say fair game - but when 100% of the males behave submissively, I have to say something intentional is going on.

Not sure what it is like in your neck of the woods, but where I am from I would have to say that about 95% of the time the husband will be in the driver's seat (literally).

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 04:54 AM
link   

I guess, though I wouldn't do that. 

Of course you wouldn't, that would be racist.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Good thing you haven't heard of "product placement."

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 06:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: monkeyluv

Good thing you haven't heard of "product placement."

What does product placement have to do with the point the op is making?

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 06:47 AM
link   
About pre-teenaged white males not holding the purse strings. That logic could be applied to either sex or any race of the pre-teen demographic. However, that doesn't stop advertisers from targeting children when selling to them as they will likely pester their parents to buy toys and things they have seen on commercials.

Not that it applies directly to advertising, but movies and broadcast television programming seems to follow a similar pattern. Perhaps that is for ratings or to be politically correct, it's hard to say. There does seem to be an inordinate amount of main characters that are heroes or saviors of color that come to the rescue of secondary characters that would normally be considered white alpha male types. This may help support my conspiracy devil that has been talking in my ear. Although I'd have to admit, the white alpha man hero is way over used and pretty boring to me.
edit on 6-12-2017 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added extra comments

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Social engineering?

No.

It's about TV viewership based on demographics. TV ratings continue to drop among the younger crowds and the advertising reflects that.

Young white males are not watching the TV so why would advertisers waste money trying to appeal to them on a media platform their grandparents are watching?

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 07:03 AM
link   
As to the question of commercials being used to promote social engineering, hasn't it been clear for decades that television programming in general is a tool of social engineering?

There is no doubt in my mind.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join