It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rep. Conyers is retiring amid harassment allegations

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   
www.cnn.com...
So this is happening today.

Conyers: "I am retiring today" Rep. John Conyers announced that is he retiring today and he is putting together the plans for that. "I am retiring today. And I want everyone to know how much I appreciate the support that...incredible, undiminished support I've received across the years of my supporters, not only in my district but across the country as well," Conyers said.

I am glad to see he is out of the hospital and in good enough shape to speak to the media. I am also glad to see that some of the corruption in washington is being exposed and dealt with.

"My legacy can't be compromised or diminished in any way by what we're going through now. This, too, shall pass. I want you to know that my legacy will continue through my children," he said. He then endorsed his son as his replacement.

Yeah that is what we need more family members in politics, because that always ends so well for the USA.

I hope the slush funds are outed and all that settled and had taxpayers pay for their bad behavior are dealt with accordingly.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Nothing defends your innocence like running away.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

I am glad to see he is out of the hospital and in good enough shape to speak to the media.

I am sure he will be well enough to sexually harass women in a very short time.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   
And then he endorses his son yay for nepotism.

Anything to hang on to that paycheck right?

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Regardless, he should still have to face up to the accusations against him.

I am not saying he is guilty, but if did what is being alleged, running away is not a sufficient response.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   
GTFO Conyers, and keep your son out of it. Hopefully an independent can take charge and lift his constituents out of poverty, he certainly has not even bothered in the entire time he been there!

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Good riddance...

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Can we just start listing men that haven't harassed women?
The list is bound to be shorter and save us all some time.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

I agree, but he was the longest serving congressman so his constituents must have liked what he was doing. It will be interesting to see if his word is enough to get his son elected.
Seems in addition to paying off his accusers with taxpayer funds he will also cost taxpayers for a special election to fill his seat.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Meanwhile, there is a republican backed pedophile running for office...endorsed by Trump and funded by the RNC.

I suppose the lot of you will be calling or his resignation in the event he wins, no?

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Does yelling to a female how fine she look in those booty shorts at the mall count? I don't think I would be on that list if that counts as harassment. jeez is that harassment? Whatever happened to complimenting women on the skimpy booty shorts they wear in public?? When butt cheeks are hanging out, a woman is seeking attention.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeDemBoyz
Meanwhile, there is a republican backed pedophile running for office...endorsed by Trump and funded by the RNC.

I suppose the lot of you will be calling or his resignation in the event he wins, no?

Accused pedophile to be fair, and yes if he is elected and proven to have committed crimes I will call for him to be prosecuted.
Accountability should not be partisan.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   
of course they are going to like him. Did he not spend a lot of time continuing in vein to get reparations payments from the government through a bill he was always submitting?? I would say his constituents were just voting in a vast talking swindler that hold him in regard because his appearance of confronting the white man, and nothing more. Ignorant voters are easy to manipulate. That's why liberal jurisdictions are the highest in crime.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   
His constituents couldn't name the three branches of government if you wrote them down a sheet of paper. Buffoons like Conyers are masters at preying upon the ignorant and using gerrymandered districts to keep their power. The easiest job to keep is a incumbent congressman/senator.

People like Conyers are a huge part of why our government is so dysfunctional.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: WeDemBoyz

What ever happened to, Innocent Until Proven Guilty in A Court Of The Law ......

edit on 5-12-2017 by THEREDUNDANT1 because: ,

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   

So I guess you're all for no rights to a fair trial then??

Conyers paid hush money, Moore has settled nothing or has even been charged officially with nothing.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   
And I also don't live in Alabama! Let's let the folks of the Great State Of Alabama, Vote for whom they like, and for the folks in Detroit Michigan..... They will get, Too Get Rid of an .....Ancient...and Hopefully some new Blood......Literally.....!?!?

edit on 5-12-2017 by THEREDUNDANT1 because: A little of this and a little of that

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   

I agree with Lys...you don't walk away from false allegations.

And why on Earth is he promoting the dynasty of senatorial lordship?

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   

I'd love to see something other than simple allegation.

I don't disagree...Moore is a turd. An establishment turd. But people crawl out of the woodworks during electoral races to say all sorts of crazy things, never to be heard from again after the polls close.

You'd think a long, storied history of perverse behavior would have created some kind of paper trail, right?

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: GuidedKill

So I guess you're all for no rights to a fair trial then??

Conyers paid hush money, Moore has settled nothing or has even been charged officially with nothing.

Moore's accuser is also pretty dodgy. Her story has mostly fallen apart, and a recent poll suggests most Alabamans don't believe it. In any event, Moore is consistently polling ~5% above his opponent, and looks likely to win the election.

Conyer's district extends out into the suburbs around Detroit. (It includes my parents' home in Westland.) It's all very blue collar UAW territory. The Democrats will keep the seat easily.

Incidentally, the representative from my district, Sander Levin, has recently announced he won't run for re-election. Like Conyers, he's been around for about nine hundred years (give or take a year or two). He's the classic political empty suit who never does anything of note. I haven't heard any accusations against him, but given the timing of his retirement I'm certainly wondering.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join