It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Move to the UK from the US

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Also we have the best drinking tap water in the whole universe

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlackSkinhead
Why are so Americans so pissed that she and her family want to leave?

As an American who doesn't understand that vitriol either, I have to go with the prevailing notion that in the US, you're expected to ooze nationalism, period. You're also expected to be damn grateful for the opportunity to prostrate & grovel at the feet of Uncle Sam, Lady Liberty, the Founding Fathers, and everyone & everything else in between regardless of how awesome or not awesome the US really is.

It's a painfully myopic point of view. No wonder nobody likes us, we're shallow (among other things)

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nexttimemaybe
The UK doesn't like immigrants.brexit?

British people arnt as liking of Americans as they were say in the 80s.

But in general if you are an American abroad just say you are Canadian.

Nonsense. Americans, like most other nationalities, are treated more welcomingly in most situations than British people are in their own country.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I didn't get the apparent disapproval by certain US members either. I'm from UK and a few mates of mine have emigrated to beautiful places.
I'm happy for them

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 03:54 PM
link   
OP - my advice would be to move somewhere in Warwickshire.
You have good access to anywhere in the Uk from there - within 1-2 hrs or so you can be in London, or the mountains of Wales, or in the Cotswolds, or up in Manchester, in the peak district, or the lake district. You have countryside and are close enough to everything should you want it. I am biased, but I think Warwickshire is the best place in the country.

Generally, apart from the weather and the ridiculous prices we pay for everything, our island is a fantastic place to live.

edit on 5/12/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

originally posted by: Nexttimemaybe
The UK doesn't like immigrants.brexit?

British people arnt as liking of Americans as they were say in the 80s.

But in general if you are an American abroad just say you are Canadian.

Nonsense. Americans, like most other nationalities, are treated more welcomingly in most situations than British people are in their own country.

I agree, same with most visitors here, but I live in a tourist area and we all live on their cash so anyone scaring them away is a pariah here

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
OP - my advice would be to move somewhere in Warwickshire.
You have good access to anywhere in the Uk from there - within 1-2 hrs or so you can be in London, or the mountains of Wales, or in the Cotswolds, or up in Manchester, in the peak district, or the lake district. You have countryside and are close enough to everything should you want it. I am biased, but I think Warwickshire is the best place in the country.

Generally, apart from the weather and the ridiculous prices we pay for everything, our island is a fantastic place to live.

I definitely see what you mean about Warwickshire being kind of centrally located as far as access. I apologize for not getting back in here sooner; apparently I broke two of my fingers yesterday morning. I had to run to the Dr. I'm all splinted up now. Occasional hazards of livestock.

That area looks pretty urban by the map, but there do seem to be properties that might fit the bill in the area.

Everyone keeps hinting about the weather, but my daughter and I rather like the rain and we are sure used to cold.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: redhorse

Yeah, when you've had 30+ years of 360 days of rain, it does kind of take the shine off though

edit on 5-12-2017 by Indrasweb because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Why are so Americans so pissed that she and her family want to leave? Plus, Why the # do you have to comment when you're adding nothing constructive, just been nosy.

Yorkshire is beautiful. I'm from Leeds, wouldn't suggest coming here though as it's just a big city with allot of inner city suburbs that are busy a little bit rough. North Yorkshire, heading out towards North Ridings is a beautiful place. Property out there with around 40 acres of land, 4-5 bedrooms and maybe a barn will set you back more than a million though.

Land isn't cheap over here, especially in the countryside

I think that they see it as a betrayal in a way. We do have a comfortable life and many Americans would see our success as a testimony to a superior American system for social mobility, i.e. The American Dream which is, to wit: "If you have the determination, work ethic, guts and talent you will always succeed in America". It's not true anymore. We have those qualities sure, but most people here do, and they work twice as hard to maintain grinding poverty.

We are seeing things deteriorate and break down across multiple social, civic, and economic systems. It's only accelerating and I don't see anything on the horizon to pull it out of the ditch. A lot of people get uncomfortable when faced with evidence that people see a bleak future, denial is powerful. Also, if we are right, we are just rats fleeing the ship after we've grown fat on what she carries as far as may Americans are concerned. Can't win for losing, and sure, it's not completely fair to judge us that way, but I can understand why folks get upset. There is a clear self-serving aspect to our decision and ideas about loyalty/nationalism are spoon fed to us from the cradle. We are an insular culture in many ways.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indrasweb

Yeah, when you've had 30+ years of 360 days of rain, it does kind of take the shine off though

Yes I suppose it might.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: redhorse
So, all of you smart, worldly people on ATS, any knowledge or advice is appreciated here.

My husband and I are ready to pull the plug and move overseas. My husband wants somewhere that speaks English as the primary language.

Did you forget about Canada?

You get a choice of English or French there.

Easy to move from the US. Just drive over.

Or, is it that Canada isn't far enough away from the US?

The UK is old and run down. Canada still has the Queen of England as it's head of state, so it's just like going to the UK, except with everything modern and new.

Rated as one of the best nations to live in the world, Canada is the ideal home for many English speaking people. Though the French can be a little testy, recently banning the word "Hi" from stores in Quebec and making it mandatory to say "Bonjour" instead.

Many Americans have moved to Canada, since Trump won. In fact, as soon as Trump election results were announced, the Canadian immigration website crashed from the huge number of visits seeking information on how to move there.

Canada is also very forward thinking, with a young Prime Minister with youthful views, verses the stodgy backward looking Trump, who just want's to take the US back to the "good old days" what ever that means.

Think Canada. A better place cannot be found on this earth at the moment.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Many are, they don't like what they have been handed in Trump, nothing much to do with any political allegiance either, more that their whole ethos is in tatters. That they feel a descent back into a new dark age in Trump, is about the best way I can put it.
I can't speak for this lady, but I do know how some Americans feel today.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I agree with redhorse.

Many americans do feel like youre betraying america if you choose to leave. They also think youre a fool if you do because they believe america is the greatest place on earth. The truth is america has fallen behind in just about every way with most first world nations. Youre fooling yourself or just still think its 1955 if you honestly believe hard work will reward you with the american dream. That doesnt exist any more . every year and day will get more expensive and harder for 99 percent of americans until its unfeasible to even survive in this once great country.

Many are comfortable at the moment in america. That will change too. youll hit the wall sooner than you think. In the next ten years likely. Prepare yourself.

If youre smart youll abandon ship. America is like a once great ship who is now listing hard and sinking. The bows already under the water and theres next to nothing that will stop her from sinking sadly. You can choose to be one of the folks who refuse to believe the ships going down and miss your diminishing chance to get on a life boat and escape while you still can.

As for moving to another country. Nothing wrong with that. Its prudent actually. I just made the jump to queensland. The difference in quality of life is night and day. People are reasonably comfortable here. People have disposible income. Remember what that was like. Standards of living are higher. People are friendlier and less stressed out. Theyre better educated. People are healthier because medicine is astronomically cheaper and superior here. Nearly everyone can afford to take vacations here and time off. People have better manners here. Its not over populated. The airs clean. The foods safer to eat. The economy is stable here. Minimum wage is an actual living wage. Kids at mcdonalds get paid better than most secretaries, bookkeepers and others working in admin or doing clerical work.

If you feel like its time to make a change for the better now is the time to get going. There are other nations on this planet with more to offer than america. America used to be the benchmark now its just the benchwarmer. Sad but true.

I support your reasoning and position to leave redhorse.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 04:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justso
a reply to: CulturalResilience

Believe those fish and chips fill a lot of big bellies there.

Not to the same extent and percentage.

Your claims about the Food in England is puzzling. The worlds two leading Restaurants are in England. In a town not far from me there is, in just one street (Queen Street, Newton Abbot);Fish & Chips, Pizza, Moroccan, Multiple Chinese/Canton/Mandarin, A Full representation of Indian and Pakistan Cuisine, Nepalese, Burmese, Tex Mex, Southern, Turkish, Greek, French, Italian, Japanese, British Pub Grub (The finest in the world), US style diners, and others that I have likely neglected to mention.

This is replicated in towns and cities throughout the UK, so you're losing of two stones, despite all the delicious choice on offer must mean that you are very unadventurous in what you eat, or it enforces the stereotype about American appetites, while disproving an ignorant one regarding the quality of the food available to the discerning palate in England.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:07 AM
link   
You did not mention where you currently live with your family. However, from what you desire to have I would think it is entirely possible to find someplace here in the states. Obviously where you are now living does not agree with you and your family. Moving to another state will surly be less expensive that moving your entire way of life to the UK.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: redhorse

originally posted by: CulturalResilience
Come to Devon. We are the warmest and most welcoming people. The fact that you are Americans will not make you unwelcome. The only people who are not welcome in Devon are those that move here and complain and refuse to embrace the way of life.

We are proud of our beautiful county and its history, and heritage. We are smart and hardy, but we are also kind, warm, open and welcoming.

Well thank you! I will take a look.

*edited to add

Oh my goodness, it is just BEAUTIFUL there, and history, location, access to the sea AND nice people. I had no idea. It sure is checking all the boxes on everyone's wish list.

Come for a visit to Devon. Experience the breathtaking, rugged beauty of Dartmoor, the coastal tranquility, the bustle of Plymouth, the historic charm of the city Exeter, and the towns of Barnstaple, Ilfracombe, Asburton, Totnes Brixham. Try some very fine local food and ales, taste the produce from artisan baker's, farm shop's and cheesemakers. Devon's towns and cities offer cuisine from all over the world and nightlife for all. Traditional village pubs can be a place for a quiet drink and a meal, as well as some lively local entertainment.

Hiking, canoeing, rock climbing, cycling of all types, Horse riding and Pony trekking across Dartmoor, Surfing, Sailing, Fishing, Shooting, Beauty spots for picnics. My county is the place where the heart, mind, body, and soul are nurtured in abundance, and where you will meet the finest, and warmest people. Come to Devon and fall in love.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

I think you may be underplaying the US current position in the world in terms of economic conditions.
In the UK literally everything is more expensive than you Americans pay - and often by a LOT.
Try $6-7 for a gallon of petrol, or $1m to live in a 2 up 2 down terraced house around London (not even in London)... the list goes on. Crikey, you even pay $1m or so for a 2000sq ft house in the midlands.
Then factor in that wages on average are lower in the UK.

Be careful before you jump out of the frying pan you think you are in...

edit on 6/12/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

As an American who doesn't understand that vitriol either, I have to go with the prevailing notion that in the US, you're expected to ooze nationalism, period. You're also expected to be damn grateful for the opportunity to prostrate & grovel at the feet of Uncle Sam, Lady Liberty, the Founding Fathers, and everyone & everything else in between regardless of how awesome or not awesome the US really is.

It's a painfully myopic point of view. No wonder nobody likes us, we're shallow (among other things)

Or.. maybe people are just saying that Americans should appreciate what they have instead of complaining? There are many people on this earth starving or dying from disease and are poor as dirt, yet Americans sit in their giant houses, drive their expensive cars and b*tch and moan about how america sucks and blah blah blah.

It gets old. I come from nothing pretty much, and I'm creating a life with my own hands.. if I weren't in America I wouldn't even be able to have this opportunity.

TLDR: I think people just get tired of hearing about first world problems.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ceeker63
You did not mention where you currently live with your family. However, from what you desire to have I would think it is entirely possible to find someplace here in the states. Obviously where you are now living does not agree with you and your family. Moving to another state will surly be less expensive that moving your entire way of life to the UK.

We live in Montana, outside of a rural community. I think people are conflating our checklist for where we would like to live for our reasons for leaving a place that already hits most of those points.

We are not leaving because we don't like where we are, we are leaving almost precisely because we do like it and would like to maintain a similar lifestyle, which we feel will become quite difficult or impossible in the near future in the U.S.

*edited to add*

Respectfully, I did mention it, and why we are leaving in several responses, although not in the original post.
edit on 6-12-2017 by redhorse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   

A previous poster suggested Yorkshire, and even though I am born and bred in Derbyshire, I have to agree. York is amazing and has to be on your 'must visit' list when you come here. If it's any help, Bill Bryson loved Yorkshire, so you're in good company. Go to London once, for the museums etc. Its dirty, crowded and overpriced, and not worth going back-I had the misfortune to live there for 2 years and have never forgotten how good it felt to leave.

As far as food is concerned, the first thing my family in America do when they come here is go for an Indian and go to the pub, so we must be doing something right. Incidentally, American chocolate tastes like the packaging our chocolate comes in. We like Americans, provided you're not the sort who have to tell us that the USA saved our Limey asses back in WW2-it isn't true and its bloody annoying.

P.S-we will probably take the pi** out of you-its our way of making you welcome.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join