It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands in North County are one paycheck away from homelessness

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 09:34 AM
link   
As long as we live in a free society, you will always have people who struggle financially. No one is guaranteed anything and there is no such thing as a "living wage".

We all make choices, right or wrong, and then have to deal with the consequences of those choices.

A big part of the problem is that the lower class has been so coddled and the standard of living so high in America, even for the poor, that people's expectations are completely out of wack. Everyone wants their own place. Everyone has to drive a nice car. Everyone needs an Iphone. No one is responsible for their own choices or making the sacrifices to get what they want. They expect someone else to hand it to them.

Someone isn't making six figures, they blame it on everyone else but themselves.

Most people are a paycheck away from broke because they make stupid financial choices. Woe is me, yet I guarantee Wal-Mart and Target are bustling with people pissing away money on worthless crap for Christmas.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

originally posted by: dfnj2015
a reply to: toysforadults

The workers in this country are treated like dirt.

Totally agree and they are the backbone of the economy.

Can we really still say that?

I mean, there are so many people on government assistance, government employment, government benefits and so many companies on the same take.

With the Federal government being the largest employer in the US is IT, government itslef, already not the backbone of the economy?

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

Those jobs do not produce anything. Most government workers are completely not needed and useless. This has nothing to do with their Skill Set and everything to do with their job description and position. Them paying someone at all means $ is being removed from the producer to a taker. It does not matter if they spend that $ in the economy as they are costing it (Through benefits, perks, etc) more than they are putting back. Not to mention that the Producer might now have an additional red tape person to have to deal with which bogs down things even more.

Don't get me wrong, we don't need putrid human beings that cut corners dumping waste or things like that. Enforcement is needed. However, most regulation is simply there to keep most of you all down and the big guys up.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
My message is as clear as day.

Your message comes across as more of a rant than anything.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   

What tripe...

A) Trump didn’t polish some skill set to be Rich.. his daddy gave him millions of dollars and a very successful company..

B) TPTB have purposefully kept wages dropping Relative to inflation and countless “skill sets” become useless as automation becomes cheaper and cheaper..

All that type nonsense is about to hit a brick wall anyway..

C) 40% of Americans have driving jobs, and the second driverless cars hit.. our entire economy will crash over night.. no economy could survive 40% job loss almost over night..

D) who decides what jobs are skilled positions??

Teachers and parents have hands down the most important jobs to ANY society.. are they the highest paid positions???

Of course not..

ceO’s, athletes and entertainers make the most, and atleast with the last two, their value to societies have constantly changed..

Actors were considered the lowest form of employment for centuries.. then we arbitrarily decide they deserve to make the most..

Yea that is based off logic or the societal good...

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I get where your coming from but it's very hard to be poor in America and you are right social pressure and lack of community is a major part of it.

When you're poor everyone looks down on you and treats you like crap. It's far more expensive to be poor in this country than it is to have money. Every small occurrence that happens to you in your life is a catastrophe.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Where does the government get it's money?

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX

Those jobs do not produce anything. Most government workers are completely not needed and useless. This has nothing to do with their Skill Set and everything to do with their job description and position. Them paying someone at all means $ is being removed from the producer to a taker. It does not matter if they spend that $ in the economy as they are costing it (Through benefits, perks, etc) more than they are putting back. Not to mention that the Producer might now have an additional red tape person to have to deal with which bogs down things even more.

Don't get me wrong, we don't need putrid human beings that cut corners dumping waste or things like that. Enforcement is needed. However, most regulation is simply there to keep most of you all down and the big guys up.

I disagree. They do produce.

They produce consumerism with their paychecka, directly contributing to the economy.

All the super rich in the world would never by more than 1000 tv's or microwaves. We need millions to buy those things.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter

They produce consumerism with their paychecka, directly contributing to the economy.

All the super rich in the world would never by more than 1000 tv's or microwaves. We need millions to buy those things.

The point you are missing is that any money government workers spend from their paychecks is being taken from productive citizens through taxes. Government does not produce revenues of it's own except through taxation which is just confiscation of wealth from other citizens.

It is like if your neighbor robs you and you then you are supposed to be grateful because he spent your money.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

The point you are missing is that any money government workers spend from their paychecks is being taken from productive citizens through taxes. Government does not produce revenues of it's own except through taxation which is just confiscation of wealth from other citizens.

It is like if your neighbor robs you and you then you are supposed to be grateful because he spent your money.

Wow...so in your utopia, no fire departments, no police precincts, no healthcare for those without money (government run/staffed clinics), etc.? No thanks, I’ll pay my taxes for those services, both for myself and my communities citizens...including the 40% or so who pay zero taxes...

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Don't do it.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lab4Us

originally posted by: Edumakated

Wow...so in your utopia, no fire departments, no police precincts, no healthcare for those without money (government run/staffed clinics), etc.? No thanks, I’ll pay my taxes for those services, both for myself and my communities citizens...including the 40% or so who pay zero taxes...

At no point, did I ever say we need zero government. This isn't a binary issue. Of course, we need fire, police, and some other services. However, you'd have to be dumb and blind to think that government is not bloated with waste and graft.

Part of the problem is that instead of having to make cuts, government just keeps taxing. Because politicians are beholden to their constituents, they also don't want to make tough choices for fear of pissing off someone instead of just doing what needs to be done.

I live in a small suburb (population about 65,000). The amount of money our local government waste is unreal. Our village was paying for valet parking service in our downtown at a cost of about $200,000 per year thinking it would help the local businesses and some old people were complaining about parking. Come to find out only about 10 cars were parked daily. So $200,000 / 3650 cars parked = a cost of $54 each time a car is parked.

Another example, we recently hired some "green / eco manager" at a cost of about $100,000 year. Her job is to make sure the village is green and promote whatever eco progressive cause is du jour. This position was unfilled for 3 years. Common sense would say that if our village didn't fall into pollution and disrepair without this job for the past three years, why do we need to fill it now at a cost of $100k?

It is even worse at the state and federal level.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

You will never be sucessful with that attitude Josh.

Quit over-complicating everything.

Money is given for value. Your kids should always get your already taxed cash to help them prosper.

You would raid the tent of a neanderthal and take his kids meat if he died too?

Money is your kids "meat" now.

And by the way Josh, millions of people like movies for enjoyment, as such it has a value to them.

When something has a value to someone, they will pay for it.

You provide a 5 dollar value to 12 million watchers, you made a completely legitimate income.

Utilize what's available, like the internet. Like the guys who made the tooth whitening device, they invested 20k to get to market, and made like 22 mill in the first six months.

Your post sound communist, with a bad grasp on the reality of money.

No one owes you a thing, quit trying to blog-change reality from your pc and get out there and get some.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Employers are treated like dirt in the US. Employees complain about everything. Government creates so many hoops a small business cant even get a running start without government taxes, bureaucrats, and dishonest employees standing in the way. American work ethic is the problem and why business cant afford to pay people who are not reliable, unskilled, and dont care about their jobs. Universities, tech schools, employment agencies routinely encourage applicants to misrepresent their qualifications and government expects business owners to routinely take a loss to stay open. These two reasons why employees lose their jobs and automation replaces them.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Not to worry...we're outsourcing more jobs this year than we did previously...soon there won't be any workers.

Gotta love capitalism.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

The workers in this country are treated like dirt.

Correction: Goyim

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   

If they paid people properly they wouldn't need to be in this situation regardless of profession.

A fair living wage would solve many of these problems.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: kelbtalfenek

Capitalism doesn't create unfair trade agreements big government and corrupt politicians do. Outsourcing wouldn't be necessary if employees in the us equaled the value at which they were paid. In addition, if government did not allow foreign competitors to artificially manipulate the values of their currencies then the incentive to outsource would not be there.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: EA006

The wonderful thing about freedom is you do have a choice. If they don't pay enough don't take the job. Want government to force them to pay better expect companies to only hire who they can afford.

1000 employees at 20$ an hour or 750 at 30$ an hour. That's saying if the 750 were able to output the same as 1000 workers.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Millions of people in this country do not have enough money to go two months without a paycheck. If there is a crash of the stock market and layoffs result again like in 08, we will have major problems again. We have allowed certain liberal economists to alter our economy into a very risky place. They talked conservatives into thinking it would work to have a consumer based economy, it has never worked on a large scale.

Its worked brilliantly.........for Walmart and Costco.

<< 1    3 >>

join