It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Under Trump, US jobs are moving overseas even faster than before

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Record numbers of jobs outsourced in five years according to the stats:

So far, not so good. A group that advocates for federal workers says government records show (pdf) more than 10,000 jobs at federal contractors have been sent over overseas since Trump was elected. That’s more than double the average annual amount during Barack Obama’s presidency. The organization, Good Jobs Nation, funded by unions and faith groups, wants the White House to hold these contractors accountable.

All told, in the year since Trump was elected, more than 93,000 jobs have been certified by the Department of Labor as lost to outsourcing or trade competition, slightly higher than the average of about 87,000 in the preceding five years.

qz.com...

So not only are numbers of jobs outsourced increased under Trump, but Federal Contractor jobs are being outsourced at more than double the rate as the Obama administration. Think about that for a second. As of recent we haven't heard a peep from this administration about their efforts in keeping jobs here, in particular Federal contracted jobs that could be going to Americans. Just distractions. How about that? The Carrier workers are not feeling too groovy either as Carrier continues to lay off more jobs than previously claimed to be saved by Trump late last year. Let's not forget Carrier got $7 million in tax breaks as part of a deal by Trump and his incoming administration at the time.

This part of the article is interesting:

But federal contractors made up 10% of that number, rather than the previous average of 4%. That suggests companies that work for the government like General Motors, Boeing and United Technologies aren’t worried about political repercussions from the man in the White House.

qz.com...

You know it's like the businesses that continue hiring illegal workers. I mean at the end of the day this is what motivates illegals jumping the border. The prospect of getting work and businesses willing to pay them. But you'll never see the Trump administration focus on those large businesses and corporations that take advantage of undocumentated workers, no no. Too much $$$ floating around and Trump won't betray his buddies, so he'll distract to the illegals themselves and only them. People trying to make a living for their families. So the same case for businesses outsourcing. Any excuse to throw around tax breaks for big businesses. No guarantee that jobs won't be outsourced. Just some false reassurance that these tax cuts will somehow magically stop these jobs outsourcing for slave labor.

Just take the administration's word for it. That's what we're all expected to do. Lord knows you can't question this administration anymore even though reality bites the living day lights out of you.

Oh yes yes I'm sure that the new record 20% Corporate Tax Rate outta change the tide of tax cuts. I mean where have I heard that one before?

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Its not that the "companies" are closing shop, its the owners that have sold out to the foreign buyer and then they close the shop with the tech and move it over seas.

americans are so blinded by the truth thats kicks their butt out of bed every day

in china, americans can not OWN no more then 41% of the company,
so yeah write to your "bought out congress person" why can the chinese out right buy a food processing and then hire all chinese workers to do the work ( Iowa , here. www.revealnews.org...

my home back yard i must say
politicians ought to be feathered for selling the US out to our enemy, yes I'm a Vietnam War veteran and was told the chinese are coming to take away our homeland freedom, what a fkn crock of sihite

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 03:38 AM
link   
don't worry, i'm sure the Supporters will be here in short order to tell us how it's all part of some cunning plan to troll the news media and make something something again

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 03:40 AM
link   
A possible percentage of the out sourcing is the locals who provide goods and services to either a military installation or some other USA government office.

Even in Viet Nam I had 127 locals who were allowed on base and those were just the ones I was dealing with... There were many many more .. Cleaning, laundry, maintenance, food services to include delivery and preparation etc etc. Now how many military bases and Embassies et al does uncle scamy have scattered around the world ?

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 03:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
A possible percentage of the out sourcing is the locals who provide goods and services to either a military installation or some other USA government office.

Even in Viet Nam I had 127 locals who were allowed on base and those were just the ones I was dealing with... There were many many more .. Cleaning, laundry, maintenance, food services to include delivery and preparation etc etc. Now how many military bases and Embassies et al does uncle scamy have scattered around the world ?

yeah me too
stationed overseas in vietnam war
such a bs war it was
i was in SAC at the time
funny how all them caskets ended up inside with drugs in them
missions were over Laos Cambodia and Burma
ah them nice funnies making me feel so fkn good
politiicans are full of bull sh..
PLEASE DONT BELIEVE THEM AND LET YOUR CHILD JOIN UNDER FALSE PRETENSES OF "IT THEM AGAINST US".

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 03:57 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

missions were over Laos Cambodia

Add Viet Nam and me to.. Nope I lost my war time Cherry on 30 April 1975 when it all came to an end...

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 04:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
a reply to: musicismagic

missions were over Laos Cambodia

Add Viet Nam and me to.. Nope I lost my war time Cherry on 30 April 1975 when it all came to an end...

did you have to go to the vd clinic?

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 05:14 AM
link   
a reply to: continuousThunder

So these are federal jobs right? That means I’ll be paying fewer government employees thru my taxes, right?
Call me stupid, but I fail to see how me paying more in taxes so that another American has a “job” is any different than welfare. I can think of 2 famous quotes to finish my point.
A penny saved is a penny earned and what difference at this point does it make.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 05:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Guiltyguitarist

You still pay for the job but you are paying foreign workers not Americans. And that makes you happy?! Trump and his destroyers.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 05:40 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

Am I still paying for the workers? I understand my taxes won’t be lowered but I’m pretty sure my money will be wasted otherways

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 05:45 AM
link   
And I’m not a Trump supporter but I do like the idea of being a destroyer. Like Shiva the destroyer, who destroys worlds to bring the rebirth. Do you really think the system is working? You would be the only one. Why do you think obama was elected? Why do you think trump was elected?

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 05:47 AM
link   
A couple of things I am thinking about this situation...

1) Is there any way Trump can force companies to keep jobs in the U.S. if not what exactly is he supposed to do about this and if so how? Through EO? It really should be Congress making the laws in this case and no the Executive branch.

2) I am willing to pay more to buy American made products, but retailers sure don't make it easy to know exactly where things were made and by whom.

3) Isn't the outsourcing of jobs accelerating naturally because over time companies are finding more and more ways to screw the American worker?

I don't have the answers, but I do believe if it was simple then Trump would have already done what he could to keep the jobs at home. I am guessing there isn't much he can do without Congress and we already know they aren't going to do anything to help Americans (see Obamacare). They usually screw us not help us.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 05:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Guiltyguitarist

Traitor.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Never been called a traitor before. I’m a hardworking, red blooded American. I love our freedoms, I love my guns, my military, and hate my government. I’m as patriotic as it gets. I’m George freakin Washington

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 06:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

First of all, it looks like Carrier is keeping it's commitment to Trump to keep a little over 1,000 workers at Carrier's gas furnace manufacturing plant. I'm guessing the layoffs are like everyone else who is using technology and automation to eliminate some jobs where unions are draining them dry on health care and pension benefits. Carrier's parent company, UTC, is still planning on investing $16 million into the manufacturing facility anyway.

Also, on November 3rd, Carrier's parent company restated that it will be hiring 25,000 more workers through 2019 to invest in other areas of commercial building and aerospace.

www.carrier.com...

www.utc.com...

edit on 5-12-2017 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 06:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Deetermined
There you go, looking at the positives. You won’t be popular here

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 06:15 AM
link   
The real issue behind foreign trade policy is tariffs, something hardly discussed. Part of "Protectionism" , higher import tariffs promote manufacturing more goods at home, while lower tariffs lend to moving manufacturing overseas.

Tarrifs as source of revenue for gubment and protection of americans jobs at home went out the door a hunnert yar ago.

Blaming Trump deflects attention away from a century long trend.

Wiki

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Our company is putting $35,000,000 in our building and hiring 250 in the next 2 years. That makes over $100,000,000 locally in the last 5 years. There's not an empty factory within 100 miles according to the paper a few weeks ago unlike 10 years ago when they were on every corner.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: mikell

I think there are a few posters looking for work. Would you mind revealing where?

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Interesting... it would seem, however, that Trump's hands are pretty much tied in many ways.

From the referenced article:

The reality is that the president has little leeway in federal contracting law to prevent companies, even those hired by the government, from shifting jobs overseas.

To actually protect good jobs in the United States, major fixes are needed to US trade and tax laws that make it profitable for companies to shift production and earnings overseas, as well as more investment in training workers for jobs that add more value. While the US currently enjoys low unemployment and (slowly) rising wages, low-skill workers still struggle to find jobs that can support a family or afford the education for work that does. It’s not clear, however, that the Trump agenda is going to bring them much relief.

There is also a little confusion it seems on calculating corporate tax:

Consider the tax bill being debated on the floor of the senate today.

While this is designed to target companies shifting intellectual property overseas to shell corporations, tax expert Steven Rosenthal says it creates a “perverse incentive” to invest more in “routine” foreign production to lower its effective tax rate on foreign earnings. “To put it another way, the firm would pay $1 million in tax on $20 million in foreign profits but $4 million on the same amount of earnings from a factory in the US,” Rosenthal writes.

Someone get Rosenthal a book on common sense, please?

He completely forgot that China has a corporate tax rate as well, which is 25% (15% for targeted industries). So using his figures, and adding that in, a non-targeted corporation moving to China would pay $5 million to China and an additional $1 million to the US, as compared to just $4 million if they stayed here, on the same $20 million. If they happened to be a targeted industry, that would drop to $3 million to China and $1 million to the US, or the same amount as though they had stayed here.

Now, I'm not intimately familiar with the bidding process on government contracts, but I do know there are a ton of fancy regulations. If one of those regulations is not that US-based corporations have preference over multi-national corporations, it should be. If Trump has the power to put such in place, I want to know why he hasn't done so. But if, as that article states, Trump does not have that authority then I want to know why the Congress hasn't put such in place.

TheRedneck

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join