It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liberals please help me understand

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I put this in the mud pit because I know how things can get. Mods feel free to move as needed.

Here is my question.

This Kapernick kneeling thing. Supposedly for his beliefs/movement/whatever. For the most part, the media praises his actions. How is this different from Tebow kneeling in prayer for his beliefs, and was shunned and critized. Help me understand the difference. I know this is old news, but this has been eating away at me for a while.

I'll repect all opinions.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Couldn't this question be just as valid in the other direction? But I guess that's how politics are these days, a bunch of hypocrites criticizing each other over the same things endlessly.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 07:34 PM
link   
While both kneeling are freedom of speech and should be granted. Personally I do not watch football, have no interest in it. But if I had to say what the difference and the reaction it is this:

One is to bring attention to a social injustice and the other is for religious purposes.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Tekaran

This Kapernick kneeling thing. [...]How is this different from Tebow kneeling in prayer for his beliefs,

It's not. And it shouldn't be treated differently.

Would Trump go on a tweetstorm if a player kneeled in prayer? It's different reactions, both reactions which are wrong.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I have not watched a single pro game this year.

I prefer my sports without politics.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tekaran
I put this in the mud pit because I know how things can get. Mods feel free to move as needed.

Here is my question.

This Kapernick kneeling thing. Supposedly for his beliefs/movement/whatever. For the most part, the media praises his actions. How is this different from Tebow kneeling in prayer for his beliefs, and was shunned and critized. Help me understand the difference. I know this is old news, but this has been eating away at me for a while.

This very point was raised early on by someone on Fox News (I forgot who) and of course the MSM completely glossed over it for the very reason it proves what hypocrites the MSM left wingers are.

Thanks for bringing it up again because it is a valid question which merits response from the left.
edit on 4-12-2017 by Outlier13 because: (no reason given)

(post by Allaroundyou removed for a manners violation)
(post by Outlier13 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Simply put, the left wing media rewards left wing stances regardless of what they are or how offensive they are. By the same token, the left wing media is intolerant of right wing stances regardless of what they are.

The left is intolerant of anybody that doesn't march in lock step with their views.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Outlier13 # Waters but thank you. This is really a dumb # OP. If this bothers them then maybe go outside. I would love to take a break from tending to my garden's. Please come over and take care of my garden while I go out and help our employees.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   

You have a great head of hair there.

I don't care who kneels or whatever. For me id be more on the side of the protest knee than the religious knee but that's personal to me and doesn't merit my control over others lol..

For me it's no different. The reason it's being talked about was made as a point a few posts up from here. People don't want the real world invading their happy place.

Meh whatever..

Football sucks anyway.

Though it was quite amusing watching how much this was talked about.

Point is I guess you're all biased. I am too.. Have fun with the tit for tat, but I stopped at two sides of the same coin and that's where I rest.

Tribalism will be the death of us.. OR is it globalism I can't decide..

LOL

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

Stop perpetuating the divide.

The left right is intolerant of anybody that doesn't march in lock step with their views.

See how that works?

It goes both ways, depending how far in, or out, one is.

Just stop.

edit on 4-12-2017 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

I like the part where she categorises prayer as a “right wing stance”.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

It's only a dumb OP because you can't provide a valid response which, again, merits a coherent one from the left. Either that or you do not want to admit to the constant liberal bias which permeates the MSM on a daily basis. Which is it?

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Very few cared about the prayer thing beyond just poking fun and making memes, as far as I know.

It's not like Obama tweeted to fire him and I didn't notice people protesting, frothing at the mouth like they were with the kneeling.

To be honest, the kneeling should have been treated exactly like the prayer thing.
edit on 4-12-2017 by Abysha because: spellinz

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
a reply to: Liquesence

I like the part where she categorises prayer as a “right wing stance”.

All liberals are atheist commie Marxists, duh. The religious right is in constant battle against the ungodly MSM overlords to bring Jesus back into their schoolgirls' pants...

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

The left is intolerant of anybody that doesn't march in lock step with their views.

Yeah. That’s true.
“Views” being the operative word there.

While the right are intolerant of people for who they are naturally.
Gays.
Black people.
Mexicans.
Refugees.
Trans.
The right are intolerant of them before they’ve even espoused a viewpoint.

That was fun.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Well, first you gotta ask yourself why exactly was Kapernick kneeling? You seem disinterested in the answer, "Supposedly for his beliefs/movement/whatever" but that is the first question you should probably be asking.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tekaran

Here is my question.

Easy -

Tebow kneels down for "god" and "religion" and "christianity". Those things do not necessarily apply to everyone in the world. Those things actually apply more to religious people and in particular, Christians.

Kapernick kneels for equal treatment for ALL humans.

Tebow = A certain group of people.
Kapernick = The whole world.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 08:03 PM
link   

In Colin Kaepernick's own words:

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

This is what Kaepernick is protesting:

There are huge racial disparities in how US police use force

Tebow was violating NFL rules with his expressions of prayer. Kaepernick was making a political protest during the anthem because people are killed by excessive police force.

NFL refs stupidly penalized Chiefs defensive back Husain Abdullah for dropping to the ground in prayer after he returned an interception for a touchdown. There's an NFL rule that limits celebrations, including a rule against dropping to the ground (No snow angels in the end zone!), but there's apparently an exception for prayer.

A common reaction today is to point out that the NFL never penalized Tim Tebow for his end zone prayers, but did penalize Abdullah, a muslim.

But it's worth reminding folks like Zeitlin that the NCAA — where Tebow had far more success than in the NFL —officials did crack down on Tebow's expressions of spirituality: the Tim Tebow rule, a reaction to Tebow's citing Bible verses on his eye black. Also, Tebow's prayers never got flagged on the field, but they sure earned disdain among the media.

But now that the rules around end zone celebrations have been relaxed neither would be penalized.

Here's another good point:

That's quite the false equivalency.

Regardless of whether you're more supportive of Kaepernick or Tebow, it's pretty misleading to compare society's reaction to either player without noting they kneeled in completely different contexts. If Tebow had taken to kneeling during the national anthem as a form of political protest, and especially as a form of protest against police officers, it's not a stretch at all to say people would have been upset with him as well.

While the rest of the article does, of course, note the details of Kaepernick's protest, the clear assertion in the opening paragraph is that Tebow and Kaepernick's respective rituals were the same, and each man was received differently by society on the basis of his race alone. That one player kneeled in prayer without the intentions of making an overt political statement while the other kneeled during the national anthem for an expressly political purpose is obviously an important detail to note when analyzing the public's responses to both.

HuffPost article compares Tim Tebow and Colin Kaepernick but neglects one minor detail

edit on 4-12-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join