It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got 15 minutes? Here is some Symphonic Jazz

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Or maybe jazzy symphony. Hard to tell really
This is the University of Michigan's Symphonic Band playing a marvelous piece titled ''Amen by composer Carlos Simon.

Certainly this stuff is not for everyones taste but for any here who have a love for fullly orchestrated music, this is a treat.

It is hard to say exactly which composer this tune emulates. At times I hear a lot of George Gershwin, only to have it swing into similar sounds created by Stravinsky. Then I hear Shostakovitch bounce into Leonard Bernstein by way of a smattering of Ferdi Groffe and Bela Bartok playing on the streets of New Orleans.

The piece is beautifully and comedically orchestrated, at times leading one to exactly what might normally be expected while at other times skewing off in a totally unpredicted direction. Throughout it is magically and heavily syncopated while at the same time loaded with dissonance, reminiscent of big band great Don Ellis. As I listen to it while typing this review, I hear some old King Oliver.

Then I think I am listening to a Jackson Pollock painting. Oh my.

Good to listen to with eyes closed with ear phones or watching full screen at these kids performing at the top of their skills. Beautiful.

I found this by accident while listening to them playing Shostakovitch's Festive Overture found below.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

thats a #in sweet piece of music right there my friend.
good call!!
i can hear zappa all over that who was a stravinsky maniac so you are on to something.

thanks for that man. not too often i come across something new and random like this that i really like.
but with a title that includes 15 minutes and symphonic jazz i was an easy sell

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   
This is Great stuff.
edit on 4-12-2017 by Plotus because: this is great stuff

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

good call!!
i can hear zappa all over that who was a stravinsky maniac so you are on to something.

thanks for that man. not too often i come across something new and random like this that i really like.

Yep. The Festive piece had just finished and this one was next in the queue. The spaciness of the first few notes just kind of filtered into me when those three crazy trombones came in and turned my head upside down. One of the things I like about jazz is just how comical it can be.

I mentioned Don Ellis earlier. Comedy delight in a big band setting. The band had arrived In LA I think it was but there horns had gone to somewhere else and did not arrive for their show until just before their concert so that this was the first time they had played them in like three days and the result is a totally cacophony horn chases and battles. Caution with this one though. It can be upsetting if you don't know what you are getting into. The driving themes battle with over the top solos and duets. It can wear you out listening to this one.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I used to play in my univ. stage band but in the administrations vast wisdom they cut our funding and gave it to the athletic department so the rich kids could have a golf team and fly to tournaments.

perhaps it was a good thing, traded my Alto sax for a strat and made some money.

Love that big sound.
edit on 4-12-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 04:24 PM
link   
originally posted by: olaru12
I used to play in my univ. stage band but in the administrations vast wisdom they cut our funding and gave it to the athletic department so the rich kids could have a golf team and fly to tournaments.

perhaps it was a good thing, traded my Alto sax for a strat and made some money.

Love that big sound.
edit on 4-12-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

Dolby, right. He had a sound and ability to cover other styles. At times very Devo-ish and at others much like Alan Parsons.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   
You know what is really awesome, I opened this page.

It started playing, as I started browsing through other threads and I am sitting here just tapping my foot and after a few mins realise I was really enjoying it.

thanks ok that was cool

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   

This is how not to do a symphony, you'll either laugh or die from laughter, I hope you do the former.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

good call!!

Ha I was going to say Frank Zappa too. You beat me to it. Do I get a participation trophy?

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

This is how not to do a symphony, you'll either laugh or die from laughter, I hope you do the former.

Yes!

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Your welcome.

top topics

join