It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mental Illness is a MYTH : Witchcraft and Power Politics in Medicine

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
I cannot help but think the OP doth protest far too much here considering who wrote I Was Just ABDUCTED By Nordics!! Holy Crap!!?!? and swore his ex-squeeze was an ambassador to aliens.

I said she was acting like one - not that she was one. Huge difference.

Look, if all you got are ad hominem attacks that's fine I guess but it's not exactly disputing the arguments of my OP now is it?

I'm sure I could show examples of things you posted and make fun of you too - but I got better things to do.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   
A holistic approach in all sectors of health care is beneficial. The mental health system runs on a tight budget, is thinly stafed and it is unfortunately not possible to provide total holistic care in all instances. The safest and best practice is to provide medication and manage clients to the best possible outcome with the resources available.

Unfortunately people require medications and instutiolisation for their and the community's safety.

Bring on programmable cyborg/neural computer links or usb plugs in the brain stem to reboot and reprogram the severely cognitively impaired and mentally ill.

Anything so I can get through a shift without being spat on, threatened, hit, kicked. Ducking and weaving to avoid attempts of violence and inapropriate behaviour gets trying. Not to mention an end too poo flinging and finger painting. It is amasing how far some people can launch poo.

I would like too do a series of prints interpreting the patterns and artistic merits of poo launching and finger painting. It would not be a scratch an sniff installation.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

Right. Crazy huh?

You know that during the Korean conflict, PTSD was called "shell shocked." Before that it was called "malingering," or just plain ol' "being a coward."

Progress is stupid. We should all go back to the way things were when I first heard about them in high school, 35 years go.

Narnia, please.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

de·lu·sion·al
dəˈlo͞oZH(ə)nəl/Submit
adjective
characterized by or holding idiosyncratic beliefs or impressions that are contradicted by reality or rational argument, typically as a symptom of mental disorder.

None of that is an illness, it's a lack of personal development, education, stress management, and coping mechanisms behind each and every one of these instances. Pills don't fix that stuff. Learning does though.

The next time someone close to you passes away I assume that through personal development, education, stress management, learning, and coping mechanisms that you will not be affected in any negative way which may cause a mental disorder, from the day you hear of their passing to the day of their funeral and to the years to come after that. Especially if what happens causes you to lose everything that you own and to move on to someplace that you do not care to be.

Interesting thread no matter how much I dislike it.

edit on 12 4 2017 by LookingForABetterLife because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

All criminals are technically insane

I committed a crime once, I was speeding.

am I insane?

I guess it depends on how fast you were going and what type of vehicle you were driving

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

True. I guess Skunk Works would be more fitting, as it’s purely an opinion piece by the OP.

It is absolutely not purely an opinion piece.
I linked to tons of well researched information by reputed sources.

Just because you don't like or agree with it doesn't make my claims to fact an opinion. I did include opinions with those claims to fact though.

Have any of you actually read the books I suggested yet?

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   

I love how you interchange mental illness with mental disease (and at one point, brain damage), when you clearly don’t understand any of it.

Let me guess. You got diagnosed with something and you’re not happy about it?

No, I suspect that he is influenced by Scientology.

link   

originally posted by: dashen

All criminals are technically insane

I committed a crime once, I was speeding.

am I insane?

I guess it depends on how fast you were going and what type of vehicle you were driving

90 mils a hour on a motorway in a peel p50 at night....they also took issue with my lights not working and my attire at the time.

link   

Myths are the stories people tell one another to explain nature, history, and customs, they also generally contain a measure of truth or wisdom.

Trust me when i tell you through that mental health issues are very real and generally a product of society, just as you yourself are a product of such.

Each person's fight and experience with mental illness through can be very different and unique, hence the general ambivalence and stigma that surrounds the subject of insanity, none the less it is a state of mind that is as real as the emotions that contribute to said state of mind.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Were you wearing anything?
edit on 4-12-2017 by dashen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   

It is. Science and people coping with mental illnesses disagree with you and prove you wrong.

You mean those outdated 40 year old studies? I guess you’ve never heard of advancements in medical science.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   

now that I think about it my driving probably would cause my sanity to be called into question
edit on 4-12-2017 by dashen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Incorrect.
Everyone is just THAT uneducated.

But I would like you to show me what mental illnesses our top philosophers and scientists have - but it needs an official diagnosis - speculation isn't convincing.

John Forbes Nash Jr, Nobel Prize winner. Diagnosed with schizophrenia.

Kind of blows that out of the water.

Not really. Being super educated in math or geometry doesn't mean you have any clue how to cope with emotional issues or how to deal with pressure or stress.

So therefore he was uneducated in dealing with these issues.

He could be the ultimate mathematician but not know anything about feelings or how to work them out.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   

It is only your opinion that mental illness if a myth it is in no way a fact.

Two wikipedia pages and a youtube video about a couple of guys who done some work in the 1960's s not "tons of well researched information" nor are they "reputed sources".

Just because you don't like or agree with it doesn't make my claims to fact an opinion.

Actually right now it kind of does.

Have any of you actually read the books I suggested yet?

If you cannot present your ideas properly without us having to go read four books then you obviously don't understand the concept well enough to concisely explain it. This is very obvious form this entire thread.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: dashen

Were you wearing anything?

I was going to a Star Wars convention.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   

PTSD actually means "Look I can't get over it".

I know quite a few vets who would kick your ass if you said that to them.

Thin skin.
Looks like I hit the nail on the head.

Getting violent because someone challenged your feelings?
Wow!

So what they went to war to fight for what? The right to be violent against anyone that says something they don't like?
That's very patriotic of them.

I could have swore that they claimed to be supporting my right to speak my mind without having to fear the threats of violence attempting to suppress me telling people the TRUTH.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash

PTSD actually means "Look I can't get over it".

I know quite a few vets who would kick your ass if you said that to them.

Thin skin.
Looks like I hit the nail on the head.

Getting violent because someone challenged your feelings?
Wow!

So what they went to war to fight for what? The right to be violent against anyone that says something they don't like?
That's very patriotic of them.

I could have swore that they claimed to be supporting my right to speak my mind without having to fear the threats of violence attempting to suppress me telling people the TRUTH.

Just for others who might be reading this garbage.

This is the OPs response to me saying that vets would kick his ass for his frankly disgusting views that people with PTSD just "can't let go" and are "uneducated".

Carry on.

link   

True. I guess Skunk Works would be more fitting, as it’s purely an opinion piece by the OP.

It's perfect for Medical Conspiracies.

It doesn't fit in Skunk Works at all.

You just disagree with the thread and want to hurt me the OP by attacking me via the mods.
GROW UP!

link   

Incorrect.
Everyone is just THAT uneducated.

But I would like you to show me what mental illnesses our top philosophers and scientists have - but it needs an official diagnosis - speculation isn't convincing.

John Forbes Nash Jr, Nobel Prize winner. Diagnosed with schizophrenia.

Kind of blows that out of the water.

Not really. Being super educated in math or geometry doesn't mean you have any clue how to cope with emotional issues or how to deal with pressure or stress.

So therefore he was uneducated in dealing with these issues.

He could be the ultimate mathematician but not know anything about feelings or how to work them out.

So?

You asked for famous scientists or philosophers. I provided, proving your point invalid.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   

It's perfect for Medical Conspiracies.

It doesn't fit in Skunk Works at all.

You just disagree with the thread and want to hurt me the OP by attacking me via the mods.
GROW UP!

Actually, it’s not. Skunk Works fit because that’s where opinions go.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join