It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mental Illness is a MYTH : Witchcraft and Power Politics in Medicine

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

Incorrect.
Everyone is just THAT uneducated.

Hold my beer....

Are you saying that only people who are uneducated have mental illness???

Read up on a guy called Stephen Fray. Read his stories about how he has endured with mental illness.

Not only are you creating further stigma for those with mental illness by trying to claim that their mental illness is a myth but now you are insulting them by saying that they are uneducated.

Besides its not supported by facts.

Intelligent people more at risk of mental illness, study finds
edit on 4-12-2017 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   

I live in So Cali, and the amount of mentally ill homeless people, is staggering. I am very familiar with mental illness, and its very real, and scientifically backed. Do research beyond a book written with its own agenda.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin Are you saying that only people who are uneducated have mental illness???

if so then colour me stupid.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

So a soldier going to war and coming back with PTSD is just the soldier having poor education and coping skills?

Definitely.

Also lacks the proper support system of loving friends and family to really pull him through it, though I can conceive that some individuals might be so traumatized by the experiences that no amount of support or coping will get them past the shock of seeing and experiencing the real life reality of War.

PTSD actually means "Look I can't get over it".
It's not a disease or illness or anything like that.
It's baggage that needs to be handled, issues that need to be resolved, problems to be dealt with in their psyche.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash
Incorrect.

But I would like you to show me what mental illnesses our top philosophers and scientists have - but it needs an official diagnosis - speculation isn't convincing.

Carl Sagan? Neil Degrasse Tyson? Michio Kaku? Stephen Hawking?
I'm sure you might find a few out there but you can do the research because I'm pretty sure these guys are really mentally and emotionally solid.

Uh... What? I'm not a psychiatrist and even if I was, I'm not any of those people's psychiatrists and am in no way in any position to comment on those people's mental health. What kind of silly request is this?

I don't have any mental illnesses. I deal with my problems and work them out.

Good for you. You aren't everyone though and it would be nice if you stopped pretending you were.

Labels are irrational to put on people anyways, because anyone can be anything whenever they feel like working towards developing those skills or if they fail focus on developing those skills. Whichever way.

You don't label a person when you tell them they have an illness/disease. Someone with cancer isn't labeled "cancer". That is the name of the disease they have. So this is a false premise.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   

I know quite a few vets who would kick your ass if you said that to them.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 02:53 PM
link   

So a soldier going to war and coming back with PTSD is just the soldier having poor education and coping skills?

Definitely.

Have you actually met someone with PTSD? I'd like you to tell them they don't have PTSD to their face and see what happens.

Also lacks the proper support system of loving friends and family to really pull him through it, though I can conceive that some individuals might be so traumatized by the experiences that no amount of support or coping will get them past the shock of seeing and experiencing the real life reality of War.

This is STRAIGHT up ignorance. The military is VERY on top of diagnosing PTSD. They asked me tons of times after I came back from Iraq if I was having mental issues. Furthermore, PTSD drives you away from your family. It is very hard on friends and family to support someone with it. Telling a person that their friends and family doesn't love them enough when they have PTSD is not only insulting, it is downright harmful to that person's health.

It's baggage that needs to be handled, issues that need to be resolved, problems to be dealt with in their psyche.

You really need some perspective.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Holy s#.

Just when I thought Muzzle couldn't possibly dig himself a deeper credibility hole on ATS than he already has with past threads, he goes "Challenge accepted, hold mah beer.".

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Anyone else feel this thread should be moved to the Sunk works?

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

Fix the amagydala so the calmness appears (manifests) and anxiety is not an issue. You might be annoyed and bored but real fear evaporates. And when real fear evaporates the mind becomes more aware to what is going on.

If people do not know any good tools to create the calmness (recalibrate the amagydala lightly or permanently) the they can always try TUS. TUS - Transcranial Ultrasound.
www.quantumconsciousness.org...

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

Schizophrenia is one level up. yeah sure, if you live in the jungle and people believe you have a direct line to other dimensions, it has proven very positive for the sufferer. That is probably what you mean with your post. Here is a diagnosed schizophrenic, yet in the Amazon hes just been made a shaman. It is absolutely true...however...

There are different degrees of schizophrenia, some can become shamans, others will slit everyone's throat at night because they think everyone is a demon. Another lot may be peaceful but incapable of actually communicating meaningfully.

But in most cases is still the people who understand energetic body states/synchronicity/entanglement on quantum level that are the best to to understand and help souls like these. Instead of believing all is interconnected they can become self aware to what level the information is entangled.

Psychiatry is pseudo science. Real scientist measure on the highest levels they can. In this case you need to measure on Quantum level to really know what is going on and understand how consciousness is manifested.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Incorrect.

But I would like you to show me what mental illnesses our top philosophers and scientists have - but it needs an official diagnosis - speculation isn't convincing.

John Forbes Nash Jr, Nobel Prize winner. Diagnosed with schizophrenia.

Kind of blows that out of the water.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

Isac Newton was another one.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I think LoL would be better suited.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   

I was trying to be more recent because of the advances in modern medicine, but yeah, him too.
edit on 4122017 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79

I think LoL would be better suited.

I would agree with you however the OP does really believe that mental illness is a myth, thats not really a qualification for the LoL forum which is for "Ludicrous Online Lies".

Its not a lie, the OP actually believes this crap.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   

As in most things 40 years old, the Doctors data from which they have drawn such conclusions is rather an incomplete view of society or socioeconomic, sociological demographics by today's standard.

Thus there conclusions are only halfway correct, which is to say they are also halfway wrong.

Not as simple as flipping the proverbial coin through.

Mental illness in all it's many shapes form and guise is simply not that boolean a beast to address.
edit on 4-12-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

True. I guess Skunk Works would be more fitting, as it’s purely an opinion piece by the OP.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: TheMZA

But, but, Flat Earth Theory is indeed a load of bullcrap.

Plus she's not "Fake", she's an oblate spheroid.

End of the day through as any truly mad magician will tell you "it's turtles all the way down".

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   
It's funny how we coin mental illness these days, because just a few decades back a man that wanted to become a woman, and being praise for it worldwide, would have been call a mental illness.

Or a child that has the right to decide it's gender, regardless of parental support would have been madness, but today it's almost a right.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Hunter S Thomson was another one.

We could really do this all day, & I am sure the OP would have an expert analysis to debunk everyone of them.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join