It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Shiite alliance wins 4.075 million votes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 07:25 AM
link   
The infamous Iraq election is now in its final stages. The results are expected within minutes. After the voting, the turnout was better the expected with voters showing they are not scared of terrorists trying to prevent the elections. Some results have come in so far, showing signs of what we have expected to be truth, with the UIA (United Iraqi Alliance taking about half of the seats in the elections. 275-member National Assembly is expected to be dominated by Shia and Kurds.

news.bbc.co.uk
The main Shia list of candidates - the United Iraqi Alliance - is set to win over half the seats in the new 275-member assembly, and is expected to name the new prime minister.

The Kurds will come second and they want the presidency, says the BBC's Jon Leyne, in Baghdad.

The losers are likely to be the interim Prime Minister, Iyad Allawi, who is expected to come a distant third, and the Sunni Muslim minority

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The results are showing what we expect to have, Kurds and Shia are taking the majority of the election. The percentage was expected at 60%, but it is 47.1% and the Kurds have 2.175 million votes. Also, there will be some Sunni votes, but only a small amount.

Result

- Kurdish list wins 2.175 million.
- Shia list wins 4.075 million.
- interim Prime Minister, Iyad Allawi wins 1.168 million.

Well, here is the next key points in the election;

- Results due 13 February
- Complaints dealt with
- Early March: PM appointed
- Late March: Government formed
- 15 August: Draft constitution (six-month extension possible)
- 15 October: Possible referendum on constitution
- By 15 December: Elections for government

The United Iraqi Alliance has won4.075 millions votes. This was to be expected with recent news stating that they were going to take about half of the seats, this first results may cause some problems in Iraq with Sunni's expected to complain about the outcome of the results.

Above, shows the planned timetable for the Iraqi elections. After the results are in, we will see a three day period of complaints, this basically means, a chance to complain about the results or how the election was held. Apparently, there are meant to be some groups waiting to complain about the outcome of the election, stating the election was "unfair".

Voter turnout figures for 12 of Iraq's 18 governorates have been made available. They include:

- Babil: 494,054 voted 71% of registered voters
- Baghdad: 1,750,772 voted - 48% of registered voters
- Diyala: 210,574 voted - 34% of registered voters
- Dohuk: 383,265 voted - 89% of registered voters
- Karbala: 297,201 voted - 73% of registered voters
- Maysan: 246,957 voted - 59% of registered voters
- Muthanna: 173,155 voted - 61% of registered voters
- Najaf: 359,268 voted - 73% of registered voters
- Qadisiya: 337,220 voted - 69% of registered voters
- Sulaymaniya: 731,323 voted - 80% of registered voters
- Dhi Qar: 522,271 voted - 67% of registered voters
- Wasit: 324,678 voted - 66% of registered voters

The voter turnout figures for several Sunni-dominated governorates have not yet been provided.

Related News Links:
english.aljazeera.net
www.foxnews.com
www.cnn.com
www.isubengal.com

[edit on 13-2-2005 by infinite]

[edit on 13-2-2005 by infinite]

[edit on 13-2-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 07:51 AM
link   
The Kurds and Shia have to form a sort of joint government. The Shia were stating this morning and early afternoon that they had won 60% of the votes, two thirds and all the news stations were sharing the UIA had won a large majority.

The commission will need three days before this become certified for challenges, etc. 8 millions of the 14 million enable to vote turned out to vote. So the outcome was pretty good.

132 seats go to UIA, 7 sort of a small majority, but i feel the UIA may feel a little disappointed at not gaining the 60% of votes, which they expected. Overall, Iraq is stepping closer to freedom.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I wouldn't exactly call the elections "infamous" is that what you really meant?

I'm glad that the government will have to be a coalition government as that will most likely be a moderating infleunce on any extreme positions.

Good for the Iraqis!

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I wouldn't exactly call the elections "infamous" is that what you really meant?

I'm glad that the government will have to be a coalition government as that will most likely be a moderating infleunce on any extreme positions.

Good for the Iraqis!

Even though the Sunni's only get a small amount, its still good. I think this is a great step for the Iraqis

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Thanks for getting this info to us Infinite. Been waiting for the results but wasn't sure I would interpret them when it came out. But you put a good comprehnsive piture of it together.

Now let's hope things settle down over there. This is a major hurdle.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Are the shiite the ones who blow up buildings and do the kurds and shiite's have any qualms??

I hope things become peaceful and they learn to unite under one flag... It would be sad to see more hostility and deaths...

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies

Are the shiite the ones who blow up buildings and do the kurds and shiite's have any qualms??

I hope things become peaceful and they learn to unite under one flag... It would be sad to see more hostility and deaths...

i think you are reffering to the Sunni's, but there is still bad blood between Sunni's and Shiite, plus the Kurds aswell. If all groups work together, they can build a great nation.

Thanks for getting this info to us Infinite. Been waiting for the results but wasn't sure I would interpret them when it came out. But you put a good comprehnsive piture of it together.

Now let's hope things settle down over there. This is a major hurdle.

I only put down the key results because they gave the votes of each party in each area. At the end of the day, this is great move for Iraq

top topics

join