It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Sky

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I have a question about google sky.

When you visit google sky and zoom all way out as far as you can go. Why are every imange you see from left to right the exact same images?

You can scroll these images 360 degrees both left and right. But you are just scrolling the same images over and over.

Link: www.google.com...

This is probably nothing, but i was just wondering why that is?

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: spy66 I have noticed that before actually. Then after tens of hundreds of hours in my lab with my scientist friends from all sorts of fields. We narrowed it down to two possibilities. 1. Pot holes 2. Russians.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   
all i could find. The images seen in Google Sky are identical to those found in Sky in Google Earth. We have changed the projection to display these images within Google Maps (the Mercator projection). As with Google Maps this means that we cannot view the northern and southern celestial poles.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: spy66

The simplest explanation I can think of is that these are placeholder images.

Instead of some error or it showing (NO IMAGE AVAILABLE) it displays these

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Because you zoomed out so much, the website simply tiles the image across the screen. It's just the way the programmers decided to have it.

Sky-Map doesn't do this: www.sky-map.com...
edit on 3-12-2017 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

even zoomed back in you can see its still just the same image over and over lol

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Just thinking out loud here, but I suspect that you would be more likely to find out the correct answer by asking somebody who is most likely to know... like maybe the Google Sky development team. I am sure there must be a FAQ or Help system or discussion forum where you could ask this question and get an authoritative answer. Remember... Google is your friend!

Google Sky Map Forum

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 10:47 PM
link   
You mean that Google sky is hiding that part of the sky beyond 360º?

This is major!

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Well basically Google sky is one image. They are all the same.
Why have so many of same images?

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Well basically Google sky is one image.

Basically, you're wrong.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: spy66
a reply to: Phage

Well basically Google sky is one image.

Hardly. How would Google get a single image of the entire sky, the entire celestial sphere, without the sun, earth, or any planets visible in the image? They wouldn't, not in a single image. Google sky is a mosaic of many, many images from a variety of all-sky surveys which themselves consist of many, many images surveying the night sky with various telescopes. Most of the visible light images you see in the zoomed out view come from the Digitized Sky Survey, which are digital scans of photographic plates from the Palomar Sky Survey and its southern hemisphere counterpart. It's very important to keep this in mind, particularly if you plan to try to "find something" by "artifact hunting" in google sky. A serious researcher should always look up the primary source material when it's available, instead of relying on secondary sources like google sky. Google didn't take any of those images, they were taken by pre-existing sky surveys and then stitched together. What you're doing is zooming out beyond the 360 degrees of the sky, so the mosaic simply gets tiled and repeated multiple times. Move your mouse cursor from left to right and notice how the right ascension repeats when you zoom out too far.

top topics

join