It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Derangement Syndrome Explained

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

a reply to: underwerks

Lying occurs when a communicator knowingly and intentially misleads others.

And when a communicator deliberately leaves out certain facts or twists others to support their statements..

How do you know it’s deliberate?

Because deliberately stretching the truth is what he's made millions of dollars from. That's what positioned him to be able to run for president.

Why do you imagine that stopped?

I’m speaking about your list of “lies”.

Trumps “truthful hyperbole” is something else entirely.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   

And when a communicator deliberately leaves out certain facts or twists others to support their statements..

Because deliberately stretching the truth is what he's made millions of dollars from. That's what positioned him to be able to run for president.

Ahh, "truthful hyperbole". Is that what the kids are calling lying now?

Kind of smacks of the whole "alternative facts" thing..

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   

It’s from the Art of the Deal. It’s a rhetorical method of Trump’s invention. It’s quite brilliant.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   

That's the list I'm laughing about. (My sides are starting to hurt.)

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   

It’s from the Art of the Deal. It’s a rhetorical method of Trump’s invention. It’s quite brilliant.

Yeah, rebranding lying is a brilliant tactic.

I actually kind of agree with you here though. That people actually believe "truthful hyperbole" isn't lying is a testament to how well Trump can get over on people.

You call it brilliant, I call it slimy.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I went to a funeral the other day. Someone asked me how many people were there. I said, "there had to be at least three maybe four hundred people in attendance."

Come to find out, there were 188.

Did I lie? I guess by your description, I did.

link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

That's the list I'm laughing about. (My sides are starting to hurt.)

That doesn't surprise at all.

In the immortal words of Ron White, there's your sign.

link   

I'm not sure it's necessarily his invention as much as he made it famous. I've known a few people like him (all of them from the northeast, coincidentally). Once you get used to the way they talk, it's easy to decipher their meaning.

For those who don't understand what I mean about "deciphering", here's a well-known example of jive talk:

If you weren't familiar with how people like this talk, starting at 2:20 some of that would make you think he's mentally retarded. Once you get used to it it makes perfect sense, but if he was a politician you disagreed with you'd probably just run a smear campaign questioning his mental health because you have no motivation to learn how to understand the way he speaks.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Now I'm really cracking up! Please stop!!

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

So far, the only real "creatures" that have been ejected from the swamp for their misdeeds are people he's put in those very positions. He's continued to prove that he's no real judge of people or their abilities (hence all the lawsuits against him for nonpayment and underpayment for services contracted.)
Back in the day when we played pond hockey the pickings were slim and one might avoid getting a stacked pick just to make the game a challenge .Many of times we would send a star player over to the other team to make it both interesting and to help the other lesser players feel like they should be there .

I think Trump just wants the game to work out for the better .Replacing some of the misfits is no big deal seeing there are many waiting on the bench to be put into the game . So far there seems to be a lot of pressure on at least being as honest as you can be as most sides demand at least that much .

Its his first year as POTUS and some people might be good choices while having second thoughts as to who you should play in another position can be a trial and error decision making process especially with a very large team .Some team members make the call's as to who they think that can work out or fail as well . True it does fall back on the coach in the end and that is why you usually fire the coach and not the team .

But the geopolitical world has changed and so too has the game .Putting in the same old same old types of players may not be the best approach to playing a good game . Its not always about winning no matter which team you might be cheering for . The Russians taught a lot of Canadian hockey fans a new type of game to enjoy that brought about a Gretzky. He would have never of made it in the original six .

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   
This entire OP epitomises what gets those of us who oppose Trump so pissed off at times on these boards.

Its the patronising arrogance of it all.

Basically what the OP is saying is that we oppose Trump not because of genuine political reasons, view and ideology but because we are some how mentally deranged or brainwashed and have now collectively developed this fictitious condition called "Trump Derangement Syndrome". The arrogance it must take to believe the only reason anyone would disagree with your political views is though some mental illness is astounding.

"Trump Derangement syndrome" is not real, its not a recognised condition, its just something that Trump supporters have made up to try to explain why people who disagree with them disagree with them. Its a lazy approach to political debate. I understand that for many Trump supporters for who no matter what he does you cannot find fault, so it must be difficult when faced with the cognitive dissonance that occurs when you see his many faults presented to you. The solution seems to be to make up a mental illness rather than actually taking these points and debating them head on.

One of my last threads got really heated, this is one of the reasons why, its this frankly disgusting attitude that some of the followers of cult-Trump have on these boards. This stupid idea (and yes it is stupid) that anyone who opposed Trump is in someway cognitively impaired, if we are not "Libtards" we're a "joke" or "emotionally involved" and "obsessed", its never actually recognised that we have genuine reasons for opposing Trump.

And don't you dare be so blind as to ask me then what these genuine reasons are because for over a year now me along with several other members have been trying to spoon feed them to you.

Lets stop with this stupidity and start actually discussing the facts and the genuine reasons why people are so opposed to Trump.

In the words of so many Trump supporters on this site; "this thread is a joke"

edit on 3-12-2017 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   

I went to a funeral the other day. Someone asked me how many people were there. I said, "there had to be at least three maybe four hundred people in attendance."

Did you stand at a podium and tell that to the American public? As if it were the truth? And use it as a reason to build up your own brand?

If the answer is no then they aren't comparable.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   

I actually kind of agree with you here though. That people actually believe "truthful hyperbole" isn't lying is a testament to how well Trump can get over on people.

Hyperbole is a common tool of language. In the game of making deals it is an innocent move.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

The right ta ta, but the wrong ho ho.

I like it.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   

I'm genuinely curious, what makes you view statements that are verifiably false, as something other than lies?

I'm really trying to understand how people can defend blatant lies.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Hyperbole is a common tool of language. In the game of making deals it is an innocent move.

And in the game of government, it's a lie. America can't be ran like a business. That way lies fascism.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Did you stand at a podium and tell that to the American public? As if it were the truth? And use it as a reason to build up your own brand?

You're over-analyzing and projecting again....Is that you, Jim?

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   

You're over-analyzing and projecting again....Is that you, Jim?

Where am I over analyzing?

Help me through the process here:

Trump makes a statement + statement turns out to not be backed by verifiable objective facts= Trump is telling the truth.

Maybe it's a mandela effect? 2+2=5 now?

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   

And in the game of government, it's a lie. America can't be ran like a business. That way lies fascism.

It can’t be run like a business. The point is, when it comes to dealing with other leaders and promoting the country’s interests abroad, a business man of Trump’s stature is simply better at doing it.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I'm genuinely curious, what makes you view statements that are verifiably false, as something other than lies?

I'm really trying to understand how people can defend blatant lies.

Let's just take one of those so-called "lies" on your list along with the reason it is a "lie" in parentheses: “It is so pathetic that the Dems have still not approved my full Cabinet.” (Paperwork for the last two candidates was still not submitted to the Senate.)

From Washington Examiner:

The Senate's work has also been slowed by Democrats, who have refused to allow faster votes on Trump's nominees. Given that obstacle, the Senate has often been able to advance and approve just a few nominees each week.

From WaPo:

Just two of Trump’s Cabinet chiefs were approved on Inauguration Day, fewer than his three most recent predecessors. The process has been mired in procedural delays forced by Democrats in committee and problems in processing vetting paperwork.

What you call a lie may just be a difference of perception.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join