It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theresa May losing control....will be the DEATH of the UK economy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Theresa May (She is the UK prime minister) is getting her but kicked at every turn. She truly is the weakest leader in the EU and probably the free world. Last night her Social Mobility team quit in anger at her refusal to do anything about the gargantuan wealth gap between London and the rest of the UK. You see, London is like California in that it thinks it is the be all end all to the entire economy. It sucks in all the money while there is a total lack of economic development in the North. It is so bad, I would say she has blood on her hands.
Why do I care? I dont. I am just tired of seeing anti-Trump threads by certain people.

www.express.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 03:49 AM
link   
But at the end of the day , who is better ?
Corbyn ?

He would just make the uk the first place to abolish passports, he tries to save everyone but his own .

Wow he would bring all of Africa here at our expense.

Labour is a joke at the min .

I'd rather have boris Johnson .

The north south divide is a joke and the mayor of London is a bigger joke.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 03:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Denoli
Corbyn ?

He would just make the uk the first place to abolish passports, he tries to save everyone but his own .

What twoddle this is!

Lol, you don't like brown people very much do you.

edit on 3-12-2017 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 03:53 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

She's doing a wonderful job. She is helping the corporations extract lots of cash from Britain without a quibble. She offers no protection to the British people from the sharks, just how the corporations like it. She has been an effective continuum of David Cameron's give to the rich and take from the poor.

edit on 3-12-2017 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Cheer up, if we're lucky, we will all be dead soon.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Bet you guys are missing colonial times right about now

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Whats a matter with not wanting refuges ?

a reply to: Revolution9

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 04:11 AM
link   

It sucks in all the money while there is a total lack of economic development in the North.

I’m not sure how you expect a Prime Minister to improve economic development anywhere, let alone the North.
Maybe she could open up a little corner shop?

Sour grapes aside...
Under the rules of the “free market”, it’s the businesses who decide which part of the country they want to invest in.

Too bad for the North that London is just far superior in every way.
Not saying that to gloat...
It’s just what I deduce from the fact that most businesses choose to operate here.

If your pissy attitude was due to lack of infrastructure development and funding in the North, I could agree.
That’s something the Government should be fixing.

But really, you’re just mad at the effects of Capitalism.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 04:13 AM
link   

I'm not a fan of May. The T2 rail-line is the best solution for social mobility they appear to have and it won't make much difference. Still, I see the walkout as cowardly foolishness and typical politician behaviour. They could stay and make an effort or run away and blame someone else - it's usually the blame game that wins.

They're blaming May without acknowledging the 2008 recession, years of austerity and public sector pay freeze. The working and middle classes took the hit on austerity whilst the wealthy carried on. We can see this by how high-end property prices continued to soar in London and the commuter belt. Plenty of high streets have lost stores or been replaced with charity shops and pound stores which are signs of low income.

Rather than pointing at May, they already know it was a global economic crash followed by expanding social division through New Labour and Conservative governments (one of them a coalition with the Libs). If she's to blame, they're all to blame.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 04:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
Theresa May (She is the UK prime minister) is getting her but kicked at every turn. She truly is the weakest leader in the EU and probably the free world.

An oft hurled accusation. Yet you have Germany in dysfunction, and Spain, and the Republic of Ireland, and Italy, and Greece, and crass politics in the EU with in-fighting and divisiveness.

Social Mobility team quit in anger at her refusal to do anything about the gargantuan wealth gap between London and the rest of the UK.

On the Social Mobility Board resignations. Just UK politics, within a cross-party body. The resignation letter cites the attention of the government on Brexit rather than a lack of progress, thus linking Brexit to social mobility which is a rather sad politicisation of the issue. Oh, and look the Chair is off to create his own social mobility institute presumably with a better salary. Plus only half of the members have resigned.

Personally, I think May is attempting to do a good job against an unfriendly and belligerent EU, and coping with the politics of those in the UK who want the UK to remain subservient to the EU.

Here's what the Social Mobility Board do...

Social Mobility Commission for context

If you read the latest social mobility report, it also debunks the assertion from the OP that it's a London versus the rest of the country issue.

SM report 2017

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 04:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408

It sucks in all the money while there is a total lack of economic development in the North.

I’m not sure how you expect a Prime Minister to improve economic development anywhere, let alone the North.
Maybe she could open up a little corner shop

She's the prime minister!

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Corbyn ?

Labour, IMHO, are better than the Tories but only by a bawhair (an official measurement here in Scotland) but even I know this is nonsense, please explain not only how they would achieve the abolishment of passports but also why?

I don't have enough hands to perform the number of facepalms this moronic statement deserves.

Of course you do, after all the solution to the Tory problem we're currently experiencing in Britain is more Tories.

I said before the last regularly scheduled General Election that Britain would suffer under further Tory rule, I'm also against Brexit (and the whole made up word) because it will ruin us (if handled properly it could be beneficial but the idiots in charge are making a right pigs ear of it all).

Yes Labour are a bit of a joke just now because they seem to have had a bit of an identity crisis since Scottish Labour were decimated a few years ago

I wish I could afford to up and leave this sinking ship, sadly it looks like I'm here to stay...

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 04:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Geez Mr. Happy, you obviously missed the sarcasm of my post. Read the last line.
Anyway the PM could do something as they disperse what money goes where. The North gets no investment, while London sucks up everything. You better pray the London house market doesnt crash as foreign investment is keeping it propped up.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Whats a matter with not wanting refuges ?

a reply to: Revolution9

Hate to tell you buddy but she was home secretary and failed every single target she set, much like her leadership.

Your comments on the north/south divide being a joke and that Boris is somehow better than Corbyn because he want's to do away with passports (Provide proof) show you're either way out of your depth on this or trolling, take your pick.

It's funny that most people who complain about refugees ( a legitimate person in crisis rather than forced immigration - yes, there is a difference) are Brexiters, yet most Brexiters HATE Corbyn who is a lifelong LEAVER in favour of May a lifelong Remainer and she won't even answer whether she would now vote leave in another referendum citing "I don't answer hypothetical questions" which is amusing as during the election campaign she said she'd nuke North Korea and Corbyn said HE wouldn't answer hypothetical questions and she blasted him.

She's the worst PM we've ever had.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 05:19 AM
link   
She's a terrible weak dithering woman. Surrendering needlessly to the EU and in total denial about our Islamist problem. On top of all that she's an anti liberty authoritarian with a love of mass surveillance and of persecuting truth tellers.

She keeps her job as labour are currently the biggest bunch of dangerous clowns ever assembled on an opposition bench. Quite an achievement.

Basically the UK is screwed.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 05:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9

Corbyn ?

What twoddle this is!

Was it corbyn who proposed sending nuclear deterant subs out to sea without the deterant?

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 05:30 AM
link   
I don't think this has much to do with social mobility and has everything to do with Brexit.
The four people who are resigning:
Alan Milburn - "an obsession with Brexit" is one of his reasons.
Gillian Shephard - An open remainer and on the Oxford university Alumni Board.
Paul Gregg - director of the centre for analysis of social policy at the University of Bath.
David Johnston - Worked for University of Oxford.

They all have connections to Universities! Read their wikipedia pages.

Sometimes I feel sorry for Mrs May. She is (or at least trying) to govern our country when it is at its most divided. She is going to get criticism no matter what she does.

However, she certainly doesn't help herself. The trouble is she is an appeaser with no back bone or principles. She has bad advisors and she tries to compromise all the time to the different factions within her own party. It's hardly inspiring leadership.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 05:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: pikestaff

Corbyn ?

What twoddle this is!

Was it corbyn who proposed sending nuclear deterant subs out to sea without the deterant?

The Corbyn who'd rather save our hospitals than spend 200bn on Nukes. That one.
Not the one who gave 1bn to an Irish terrorist party to cling on to power.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 05:36 AM
link   

She truly is the weakest leader in the EU and probably the free world.

Agreed , she's probably the weakest Tory leader since (the quiet man) Iain Duncan Smith , the sad fact is the Tories are to scared to replace her because of the message it would send to Brussels but keeping her in place is the worst option.

In normal times it would be amusing watching the Tories limp around with their lame duck leader but at this time of Brexit it is a worry.

The Tory vanity project of HS2 is a colossal waste of money that will do little for the rest of the country , the new nuclear power station at Hinkley Point that she approved will be a millstone around our necks for a generation or more and the DUP deal she struck to save her own skin was beyond stupid.

Why do I care? I dont.

If you're British you should care because the mistakes she makes now will live with us for the rest of our lives , she has dug herself into a hole and there is no obvious escape.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 05:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: pikestaff

Corbyn ?

What twoddle this is!

No.

It was Corbyn who questioned the value in the UK spending billions of pounds on Trident when that money could be better spent on military forces that we could actually get some use out of though.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join