It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secretly Detained American Has Asked for a Lawyer – But US Govt Won’t Give Him One

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 02:30 AM
link   
source

The military has held the “unnamed detainee” — as the government refers to him in its filings — somewhere in Iraq since mid-September as an “enemy combatant” for allegedly fighting in Syria with ISIS (although the government hasn’t presented any evidence of that). The Pentagon and Justice Department ignored our initial request to offer him legal assistance. We then filed a habeas corpus petition on his behalf in court in Washington, demanding that the government justify the man’s detention.

Thanks to the 2011 NDAA signed by Obama, Habeas Corpus has been suspended for every American citizen that is designated an 'enemy.'

The judge in the case seems aware of the implications though:

“The government could snatch any U.S. citizen off the street and hold them as an enemy combatant… for as long as it took to come to some ‘final disposition,’” she posited. “That kind of unchecked power is, quite frankly, frightening.”

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Wait till they start rounding up folks based on their IP addresses alone. Fun times ahead.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I get where you're coming from. I get the "legalizing". But I'm just going to throw this "out there". This Muslim POS/traitor, enemy sympathizer could have been, very easily "dispatched", (very legally)..
on the "battlefield". Or by now, "slipped on a bar of soap" in/at "detention". ... Moral of the story? Don't be an enemy to your country, America. I love how bleeding heart Democrats, love using the C.O.T.U.S. for foreigners and traitors to shore up their "voting" base. ... But seem to be totally ignorant to what,.. "shall not be infringed" means, to their "native countrymen". They'd stone us. But expect us, to "feel sorry" this pos?

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 03:18 AM
link   
According to your source this was all made possible thanks to Obama. This is one of the reasons I am so against the overuse of EOs because it blurs the lines between the Executive branch and the legislative branch.

Basically Trump is using rules put in place by Obama.

Far from having broken with his Republican predecessor, Democratic President Barack Obama has now reinforced the law of exception that he criticised when he was a senator. It is now possible to deprive United States citizens of their fundamental rights because they have taken part in armed action against their own country, but also when they take a political position favourable to those who use military action to resist the Empire. Worse – Barack Obama has added to the law John Yoo’s “Unitary Executive theory,” which puts an end to the principles of the separation of powers as defined by Montesquieu. The security policy of the United States President now escapes all control.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 03:25 AM
link   
a reply to: murphy22

I'll add. This dirt bag, gets treated better than a homeless, American Soldier, Sailor, Airman or MarineVeteran. At least there is a "law" that says, this pos has to be fed a meal a day! Don't f'n begin to cry to me, about his "treatment". We have "congressmen/women", "Senators" .. That continue being "paid" even after being fired/"voted out" of office. Just because they "served". Your "rule of safe, security". Means nothing to anybody that's worth their weight.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Does make you wonder, that with all the dismantling of the Obama legacy by Trump, he has so far opted against destroying this, which is arguably Obama’s worst legislation.

Innocent until proven guilty?

Hell, even if demonstrably guilty, the lawyer and due process should still be guaranteed.
It’s a Right, am I right?

“It’s not what they can do, but instead a restriction of what they can’t do”...
Not anymore it seems.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 03:41 AM
link   
a reply to: murphy22

Both of your posts have been pretty ridiculous.

& they are certainly not convincing anyone that the NDAA is a good idea.
Which is the whole crux of the issue at hand.

I guess your countrymen can expect your support in the matter the moment they decide you’re the enemy.
Because that’s when it will be important enough to you, right?

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 04:11 AM
link   
a reply to: links234

This sounds like the patriot act in a nutshell. What's the difference than the NDAA?

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 07:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: murphy22
I get where you're coming from. I get the "legalizing". But I'm just going to throw this "out there". This Muslim POS/traitor, enemy sympathizer could have been, very easily "dispatched", (very legally)..
on the "battlefield". Or by now, "slipped on a bar of soap" in/at "detention". ... Moral of the story? Don't be an enemy to your country, America. I love how bleeding heart Democrats, love using the C.O.T.U.S. for foreigners and traitors to shore up their "voting" base. ... But seem to be totally ignorant to what,.. "shall not be infringed" means, to their "native countrymen". They'd stone us. But expect us, to "feel sorry" this pos?

Proof positive the propaganda works on some folk. Its the 'enemy' so its okay. Especially "Bleeding hearts", lol.

Somebody give this guy an emperors cloak and crown.

"Who shall we bomb next, your Highness?"

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   

I certainly don't like the idea of the suspension of Constitutional Rights, I dislike the idea of an American traveling to a recognized enemy state to engage in active combat, not only against other Americans but against others defending their lives and property against a group labeled a terrorist group, even worse.

I would say since he was captured on a battlefield in the capacity as a soldier for the enemy then he no longer enjoys the protections of our Constitution and is why the label "enemy combative" came about. I say good luck to him and perhaps the laws of his adoptive friends should be applied.
edit on 12/3/2017 by DJMSN because: Addition

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Should of just put a bullet in him on the battle field.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 10:03 AM
link   

as an “enemy combatant” for allegedly fighting in Syria

The "allegedly" part should be worrisome.

Didn't Bush also put something like this in place, after 911? I remember hearing about people taken off the streets under suspicion of being a possible terrorist, and that they were held indefinitely without lawyers or charges, and some were completely innocent.

They can declare anyone an enemy without proof...

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Sucks to be a traitor to your nation. And articles of war are much different than Constitutional protections. Once you take up arms in a war, the rules significantly change, regardless of your citizenship. I lose no sleep, and no longer consider someone an American, once they they join the army of ISIS...they deserve everything they get.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Catch 22. What if your own government torments and tricks you? Or an enemy one?

article

Aaron Alexis is the man responsible for the Navy Yard shootings that took the lives of 12 people on the 16th of September and injured several others. He was a government contractor who became delusional and believed he was being controlled by Extremely Low Frequency radio waves. He scratched the words “End The Torment” on the shotgun which he the used to slaughter the innocent victims. The F.B.I. has release the chilling details of the attack stating that Alexis, 34, began the rampage fully aware that he would be killed in the aftermath. After searching Alexis’s electronics, it was indicated that he was “prepared to die during the attack and that he accepted death as the inevitable consequence of his actions.”

I dont believe he was delusional beyond being tormeted by intelligent mind# traitors to the human race.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: murphy22

WOW, you actually gets stars!?!

Lol, well, when it is youre turn to be called "enemy" of the state, dont expect any sympathi from me, you get what you ask for!

top topics

join