It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate passes tax reform bill

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

all I know is my dad was making bank a few years into the Obama's administration. even he was boggled by it. I think he was buying options... so maybe that's why?? I confess I don't know much about the stock market.

I hope it works out as I don't want to see anyone hurt financially. I'm just not as optimistic..
edit on 2-12-2017 by knoxie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Greven

I know exactly what i wrote.

Your chart shows only Obama's administration. If you include the curve both before and after, the initial rise is a (painfully slow) correction from the sudden crash that started the recession, and the slope markedly increases starting November 2016.

I know that doesn't match your narrative, but it does match reality.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: oddnutz
taxplancalculator.com...

how much worse off will you be under the new tax plan?

Thanks!

Just did it an it said I'd save over $4600 in taxes!

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785
Two years income based on what you're projected to make there, adjusted for the exchange rate of course. I'd love for you to name a specific country too.

That's why I said $150,000. Software development pays much less in Europe or Canada than it does in the US. I can't name a specific country because I haven't picked one. There's a lot of places I would be willing to live.

And again, if you're saving for retirement instead of putting that money into your savings so you can move, it's not that high of a priority. So you're not "suffering" as much as you want to pretend you are. Putting off saving for retirement for a few years wouldn't have a huge impact on your nestegg over the long haul, and if anything you should be doing so much better in a "better" country that you could make up the lost ground. Not to mention if you were "suffering" as much as you pretend you are, the financial hit would be worth it.

It's only been a recent thought that I've even considered living somewhere else. I've always wanted to have a career and then move into federal level politics after 20 years or so professionally (putting me around 55). Moving elsewhere is essentially turning my back on that, not just ever getting into politics in the US but I wouldn't be able to in any country I picked either. Any move represents a very significant change to my long term plans for my life. The fact that it's entered my mind though that I realize I now need to reorganize the next 5 years of my life to give me that option says enough.

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: knoxie

Stock market is gambling. The winners hurt the losers. People who trade in the stock market don't produce, they only steal money from others. So unfortunately for you, people get hurt by the stock market all the time.

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

You seem to have not understood that economics came up with the idea, not politicians.

Jim Hansen is a climatologist.

Al Gore is an idiot who thinks he's a tornado.

Neither are economists.

TheRedneck

Neither of those came up with the carbon tax. It's a nearly ideal economic position, inspired by the acid rain and ozone efforts. It's also an idiotic idea.

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: FatSoldier

nope, not me my republican dad. I don't own stocks.

edit on 2-12-2017 by knoxie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Jim Hansen is someone who thinks he's a god. He was predicting Earth would be a frozen ball without CO2. That is wrong. Earth is sufficiently close to the Sun and has sufficient atmosphere to be warm and support life. CO2 has nothing to do with it.
edit on 2-12-2017 by FatSoldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Neither do I. I refuse to trade stock because I am personally against gambling.

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 03:46 PM
link   

What you have been carrying on about are mark-up amendments. The authors of the amendments take the original bill and mark it up by hand to reflect the changes they want. Then the marked up bill is sent to the transcriptionists who type up the amendment formally and distribute it to the congressmen for consideration.

No one voted based on a scribble (unless they are dumb enough to think the scribble was the final amendment - I suppose that's possible since we're talking about the US Senate).

If you got that from a congressman who claimed it was a final draft, I highly recommend you send someone else next time you get the chance. He/she is an idiot.

TheRedneck

Those get typed up in a normal bill, not photocopied in distribution as the final version.

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   

If one has the resources to pursue it, options are a great hedge against a failing economy. An option is essentially a contract to purchase or sell a commodity at a predetermined price at a later date.

Let me try an example: suppose you expect a hard winter that knocks out a lot of the Florida orange crop. You are expecting the price of orange juice to rise drastically. You would buy an option to buy orange juice at present market price. If you predict right and the price skyrockets, you can then exercise your option and buy a crapload of orange juice and sell it immediately for a higher price. If you choose wrong, you simply do not force the contract; you do not buy any orange juice. You lose the cost of the option only.

On the other hand, you could buy an option to sell orange juice. If there was a great winter and the cost of orange juice went way down, you could exercise your option, buy orange juice at the market price, and then immediately sell it through your option for a profit. Either way, you never take possession of the orange juice; you buy and sell so fast that it simply ships to the final purchaser.

Options are a zero-sum game, unlike stocks. If someone wins on an option, someone else loses. With stocks, it is possible for everyone to make money. But it is also possible with stocks for everyone involved to lose money. Many savvy investors use options as a hedge if they expect bad times ahead for the market, but it is not for the uninitiated.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
This is horrible for America. How they hell could anyone be stupid enough to believe this is needed when the corporations already have 85% of the money?

This is going to be terrible for America as real people will have even less money and rights than we have now.

What do you mean?

This is great for many Americans, especially Donald Trump.

Trump stands to gain over 1 Billion Dollars in tax savings for himself and family alone with this tax overhaul.

Did you think Trump invested all those millions of his own dollars in running a presidential campaign, just to raise his own taxes?

He's a business man. If he invests his own money, it's because he expects he'll be able to win a handsome return.

That's just good business sense.

Trump has proven once again how smart he is, while every body is focusing on his silly tweets, that are really meant to distract everyone, and prevent them from looking too closely at his real important work on the tax reduction, he is winning in the backrooms pushing his tax-less agenda and smiling all the way to the bank.

The Donald went on TV and said "Don't let people know what you're really thinking."

That's The Donald's main strategy.

So, all those tweets...don't look at them...look at what he is not talking about

If people started talking about the tax changes, there would be lots of opposition. But, when all minds are preoccupied with trivia, the opposition is reduced.

That's the strategy.

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   

We offer free education in English, government subsidies for the poor, in-state tuition, and special government programs that let them get small business loans where an ordinary American wouldn't stand a chance in Hades.

If they go nowhere with all that, it's their fault.

TheRedneck

Legal immigrants get that, not the people crossing over in rafts. Those people stand outside Lowes waiting for work. They contribute nothing. Most contribute nothing, because as we've been over before, actual small businesses don't meaningfully impact the economy. We've got a local business here in town that I like to frequent, there's the owner who makes something like $10/hour from it, and two minimum wage employees. That business is closing at the end of the year. The jobs that disappear didn't provide any relevant tax revenue.

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Neither of those came up with the carbon tax. It's a nearly ideal economic position, inspired by the acid rain and ozone efforts.

Shhhh... Al Gore thinks he came up with it.

So does Jim Hansen.

It's also an idiotic idea.

EUREKA! We actually agree on something!

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Those get typed up in a normal bill, not photocopied in distribution as the final version.

No, bills get typed up in a bill. Amendments are typed up as amendments. Amendments list the changes to the bill; they do not duplicate the bill.

If an amendment passes, it is incorporated into the bill in a retype. It is no longer an amendment; it is now a part of the bill (although it is still available for viewing as an amendment also). All of the proposed amendments are listed on www.senate.gov... for viewing.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   

That's right. I watched some of it. Each amendment was voted on. The bill was voted on at the end.

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Legal immigrants get that, not the people crossing over in rafts. Those people stand outside Lowes waiting for work.

GED and English/second language classes are available here for free, with no questions asked. If illegal immigrants aren't taking them, it's because they don't want to.

They contribute nothing. Most contribute nothing, because as we've been over before, actual small businesses don't meaningfully impact the economy.

Just because you said it, it doesn't follow that it is true. You even admitted not knowing the actual definition of a 'small business' if I remember correctly.

We've got a local business here in town that I like to frequent, there's the owner who makes something like $10/hour from it, and two minimum wage employees. That business is closing at the end of the year. The jobs that disappear didn't provide any relevant tax revenue.

So one guy who priced himself out of business is your basis for saying that small businesses are irrelevant?

Why, oh why, am I not surprised?

Hey, I know a woman who totaled her car a few weeks ago. I guess that proves women are lousy drivers, right? Right?

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: FatSoldier

Hahaha, so I wasn't the only one sitting up too late.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   

That would include over-regulation and over-taxation, wouldn't it? How about a slow job market? What about illness? Maybe bad luck?

The last two are not restrictions on freedom... they are life. Sometimes life's not fair, but it is what it is.

As I said, you have much to learn.

TheRedneck

I would rather shape policy so that people don't fail due to illness or bad luck.

We've been over this before, I want a system where people don't lose. You want a system where some people lose catastrophically so that you can look at them and feel good about yourself because you're doing better than them.

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   

I watched around 10 PM. I'm here in Ontario so it should be the same time as Washington DC.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join