It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you wabt the Government to deal with alien contact scenarios?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 03:04 AM
link   
This is a serious question

If aliens showed up on earth who would you want to deal with the situation?

In my opinion the government would use the typical car salesman strategies to sycophant them and try to gain info and tech which they’d hide from the public and probably use agaibst them.

I have no faith in our sleezebag governments

I’m not sure who i’d want or trust to represent me.

Who woukd you choose / wish would deal with it?

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 03:11 AM
link   
a reply to: CloseEncountersGuy

If they showed up here they'd have to be so much more advanced that they'd do whatever they pleased.

The government/s would have as much choice as a toddler in a playpen stamping its foot for freedom. We'd be dependent on kindness like a toddler too.

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 03:12 AM
link   

The U.N. elected a representative to deal with any intelligent aliens that should choose to make contact with earth. I believe her/his name is Simonetta Di Pippo
edit on 2-12-2017 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 03:17 AM
link   
same way handle all other situations . Deal with it myself . Governments #up everything .

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 03:20 AM
link   

my snide answer has to be :

better than they handle , housing , roads , defence , social securoty , the NHS , immigration , taxes , .............

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 03:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I agree. For them to even get here, their technology would have to be light years ahead of ours (ba dum tss).

It would be like humans exploring a deep sea ocean environment or untouched jungle. We don't go to negotiate with the "leaders" of the creatures we find there, even when they have impressive structures like massive termite mounds, underground tunnel systems, coral reefs, etc. They're just animals to most of us & they're lucky if we don't completely destroy them in the process of our exploration, colony building, mineral extraction operations, etc.

Governments would have to do it, preferably a joint nation coalition like a special UN committee. What corporation would have the firepower or clout to make any defense related decisions?

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I’ve been very bored lately and can’t stop thinking about this type of stuff. I think about the way society is and can’t help but imagine people pulling pity case sycophantic routines to try and gain favor, info and technology.

Then i wonder if aliens would habe emotions like ours. Would they be offended if that happened?

Or would aliens be similar to people on earth who inherit things but are like spoiled selfish brats who abuse their authority and assets?

Also, Who would you contact/tell if aliens contacted you?

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 04:02 AM
link   

A better question might be what is their religious/social/governmental structure like and how closely does it resemble our own. The whole notion that Aliens would have to be these hyper advanced, unfeeling automatons simply here to destroy us all/Consume our resources is something born out of science fiction and a subconscious desire on the part of more Logic oriented people in our culture to dismiss what they deem fairy tales/mythology.

The simple fact of the matter is that you would be hard pressed to point to any culture on our own planet that has managed to develop without a (often) complex religious/spiritual belief system.

If anything, it's these aspects of an alien race that truly keeps the government from revealing what they know about the scientific side of ufos/alien visitations.

You can't learn enough about an alien race simply by cutting open the bodies and reverse engineering its tech. You need to speak the language, explore the philosophy and listen to the music. Find the common points that all intelligent cultures share and build from there an accurate representation of the aliens with which you are engaging.

Advanced tech does not a people make.

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 04:03 AM
link   
From some of the story's I have read throughout the years,I sure wouldn't want it to be me,taken aboard a ship and being disected,or subject to experiments,with lasting radiation damage,as far as they are concerned a human is no different then cattle,but I'm sure if they want you they would get you,and as far as communication if they could read minds,as far as that goes,to them would be like trying to teach a donkey to sing

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 04:09 AM
link   

From an earlier post: Simonetta Di Pippo From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Post-detection policy From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't think it should be really up to governments as it is something that affects the entire planet and an international response with scientists from many disciplines is better equipped to deal with exposure to more advanced technologies.

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 04:16 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Yeah, even if they were totally benevolent the power relationship would be utterly lop-sided in their favour. They could roll up and make us live according to whatever system they fancied. They could impose theocracies, feudal systems or democratic utopias. Risky business.

I can think of one or two world leaders (ahem...no names...cough) who should never have ANY communication with visitors.

I've got a Scandinavian 'documentary' that interviews lots of scientists as if we've made first contact. I would link it, but it doesn't have a file name and the title isn't in the credits. It's a good bit of film.

ETA -

edit on 12.2.2017 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 04:30 AM
link   

I’ve been very bored lately and can’t stop thinking about this type of stuff.

Nothing wrong with that.

I think about the way society is and can’t help but imagine people pulling pity case sycophantic routines to try and gain favor, info and technology.

Well of course. Humans have always been like this and probably will always be like this. Some people would try to manipulate the situation in their favor, others who would see a clear threat and be xenophobic against them, and who knows what other reactions there would be?

Then i wonder if aliens would have emotions like ours. Would they be offended if that happened?

I'd guess their reactions would be similar to human reactions. Some people don't mind & even may find it cute when animals try to manipulate us (like cats & dogs) or when animals try to use "our" stuff (like the videos of bears sitting in chairs, random animals playing on trampolines, monkeys stealing sunglasses from tourists, etc). And some animals don't seem to mind being manipulated by humans, as long as they get something in return (like many beasts of burden).

But on the other hand, some people consider lifeforms to be "pests" when they get too close to us or our possessions, so we kill them off (like with rats, snakes, moles, gophers, voles, groundhogs, roaches, etc). And some animals show the same hostility towards us and other animals that get too close to them.

Or would aliens be similar to people on earth who inherit things but are like spoiled selfish brats who abuse their authority and assets?

A lot of people assume aliens would be from some form of unified "one world government". But I like to look at alternative views. So what if the aliens that reached our planet were just low wage contractors for an intergalactic wireless communications system? Their job may be to set up their version of wifi stations throughout each solar system. In that case, I don't think their personal background or emotional state would matter because they may only be here to do their jobs then leave.

There's also the possibility that the ones who met us worked for one of their mad scientists that accidentally created a wormhole. Or they were royals who fled during a coup/revolution and were trying to hide in previously uncharted territory.

Also, Who would you contact/tell if aliens contacted you?

Realistically, I don't even think I'd tell anyone. If they arrived here through space travel, I'd just assume that NASA and its equivalents would already know something had arrived in our airspace.

But if they arrived through some form of wormhole or portal, I'd probably just laugh at the absurdity of it all. Not that wormholes and portals are funny; the situation would be funny because aliens chose to communicate with me of all people. And that's assuming we could even communicate with each other. It would be a lot of "Why me? lol You know I can't credibly answer to any of your demands, right?" I guess I could show them the way to a UN building and let them handle it from there.

Wait, I just thought about something. What if they weren't concerned with the planet or humans as a whole and were only concerned with something on my family's property? Like if it was the location of an old waystation and their people would visit it every 500 Earth years. 500 years ago, this was Native American land so it may not have been a problem for them to show up then. So maybe they showed up, found that everything in this location was different, and contacted me to know what was going on?

Haha, they could even be an alien race that looked like common insects, so they chose to contact me because they noticed that I don't normally kill their insect descendants? lol In that case, I definitely wouldn't tell others because I wouldn't want the attention and potential threats involved with it. So in these cases, I'd probably answer them to the best of my ability and see where it leads us.

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 04:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

It would definitely be lopsided. And depending on their biology, they may not even notice us that way either. If they're microscopic or giant sized, they wouldn't notice us. If their base speeds were hundreds of times faster than ours, we might just blend into the background to them, the same way people rarely focus our attention on slow moving vegetation. And if their spectrum of visible light was drastically different from ours, we might not even be visible to them.

My older brother and I have talked about this and I'm close to concluding that they would come here to settle in our water systems. Water covers the majority of the Earth's surface and base minerals could be found on other bodies like comets, other planets/moons, etc. So it doesn't make sense to me that they'd travel to Earth specifically to talk to some primitive humanoids. But since Earth has such a huge supply of easily obtainable water, I'd imagine that would be the "gold" they're looking for by coming here.

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 04:54 AM
link   
If youre interested in the topic, or just really bored, check out the excellent mini series produced by Syfy called Childhood's End. It is based on a novel by Arthur C Clarke which came out in the 50's and explores the idea of Alien overlords arriving and leading Earth into a utopian existence at the cost of our culture and identity as a species.

The best part is the alien overlord assigned to earth.

This bad mother right here, yea....the devil.

Available on Amazon Prime for $9.99
edit on 2-12-2017 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 05:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Thorneblood

Great book. Really great. I read the reviews for the series and didn't end up watching it due to being too familiar with the book.

a reply to: enlightenedservant

Yes, there's a lot to be said for setting up camp in the deepest ocean depths. Lot's of resources and space down there as well as privacy.

There's a very popular theme in post-60s ufology of sightings near water and strange lights under the oceans. I guess the earliest that springs to mind is Columbus in his diaries. Since then there have been thousands (Colares 1977 was a busy one too) more.

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 05:04 AM
link   

If aliens showed up on earth who would you want to deal with the situation?

The short answer is; Whoever's door that the new guests knocked upon, they should deal with the situation as any civilised host should.

This assumes a few concepts.

1. That the visitors have done some homework in deciding who's door to knock upon. In a strange land, one wouldn't knock on just any door.

2. Following on from the point one above, it follows that the visitors chose that particular door because they have at least some concept of decency as a guest and won't overwhelm their hosts.

3. The rest will write itself.

Human government has a hierarchial power structure. One probably should not assume that the visitors have a similar power structure and will fit the scenario of "take me to your leeder".

Why would they be interested in our "leeders" when they can meet the ordinary folk and get a "feel" for the culture?

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 05:37 AM
link   
It depends.

With all the various types of sightings and cases, it makes it a hard thing to judge. It would appear there's multiple groups that all have different motives.

Not unlike the governments of earth when you think about it, which does bring it's own angle that whatsthisthen raised. Hospitality.

I fear most governments and institutions would act like a bloody door's salesman when in reality they should probably act sheepish but hospitable.

When in nature it tends to take time to build a rapport with the inhabitants of the lands you share, people forget how easy it is for humans to communicate even if language is a barrier. It can take years to build up basic understanding with animals.

I always thought it might be similar with extraterrestrial visitors, I never expected some kind of ceremonious activities would ensue as we exchange languages, cultural artifacts and history.

We don't act that way with other animals.

No, we tend to evaluate each other, see how the other operates and maybe come to mutual understandings.

It seems "they" operate regardless of what we are doing, that's kind of similar to when a bird eats worms in your garden. In that sense we might be the yapping dog that's mentally running around the garden.

Maybe the dog will get one some day, hopefully it doesn't bite a seagull. Damn seagulls are nasty when provoked.

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Do you suppose aliens would perform IQ & Morality tests against humanity?

What if before establishing contact you wanted to know if your own desirability would be diminished by having relations with immoral people?

Do you suppose aliens woukd take their own reputation into consideration before establishing rekationships?

What if they setup scenarios for hunanity to test us and we don’t even know it?

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 05:44 AM
link   

We already have chemicals that increase areas of intelligence, empathy and fine-tune our sense of morality. Ironically, increased empathy can lead to passivity and compliance so it's a balance between that and selfishness.

It seems reasonable to expect visitors to be able calibrate empathy and morality to whatever societal level they wanted. Same for IQ.

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Hell no!

I would want a team of average citizens and scientists from all countries to represent this planet.

Not one single politician or lawyer should go near a first contact scenario.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join