It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A man with a '‘Do Not Resuscitate’ tattoo was unconscious Doctors were unsure what to do.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: MountainLaurel
No, I don't think that a tattoo can be relied upon in such a serious situation, it's impossible to know the man's true intent.

I lost my beloved to Cancer in Aug. and a few things I learned were that even if you have completed a DNR, the hospital doesn't seem to have access to them, at least not in his case, he filled it out with his primary care doctor. I'm not sure it would have mattered because the doctors gave us control anyways when he was unconscious. I told them to do everything they could, and they kept him alive another 9 days...

I also learned that even if your an organ donor on your driver's license, they still call and ask permission to use his organs. They call within an hour of death and make you answer A LOT of questions, it took about a 1/2 hour. They were able to use his beautiful green eyes to help 2 other people.

my husband also died of cancer and they were able to use his corneas to give someone their sight back!!! I was so happy, he wanted to be a donor and he was able to give something!

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: research100

I'm very sorry about the loss of your husband and I understand that it does bring some comfort to know our wonderful men were able to help others with the gift of sight. Were you contacted after his death and asked permission and to answer health questions ? I wonder what would have happened if i didn't answer the phone, would they have honored his organ donor wishes on his driver's license ? At some point I guess they will put the organ recipient and myself in contact if we wish, did you ever meet whoever got your husbands corneas , if not do you want to meet them ? I have mixed feeling honestly.

One thing that I'm sure you will understand is how the communication can break down between all the different doctors, the hospital and even Hospice, which in hindsight I wish and think he would have too, that we would have used Hospice in his final days, he wanted to come home so much and we really believed he would.

I guess based on that I can see why someone might think that a tattoo is the clearest way to make sure everyone knows their final wishes, but for reasons already discussed in this thread it's still not enough, I'm glad this man's final wishes were ultimately honored.

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join